SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-02-2003, 04:14 PM   #1
Lazarus
Lazarus

5 yr Member
Default An MSer's use of Seg while physically stressed

This post is for those investigating disabled people using Segways.

I'm home trying to stop a leak coming through the ceiling from destroying my house! I have stopped it but the last 5 hours have been frantic and physically difficult and just full of panic. It is raining hard here and cold. I handled the problem alone as John was not home. I must have looked like Daffy Duck as I was moving in a very spastic way .

All this is leading up to---someone stopped to see if I needed help and saw my Segway. I started it and easily gave a demonstration of how it works. I road through my house and did not crash---it was a very smooth demo. I even was able to keep it still while I chatted with him. I did this when my body was extremely stressed and my balance was bad; so I learned even more how and how much I can use Seg.
Linda
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:28 PM   #2
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Great, Linda! I'm sure that it was just the distraction you needed <G>.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
hubbahbubbah
hubbahbubbah

5 yr Member

Wow, great to hear that Linda! Please keep us updated on how the Segway works out for you. You're a real pioneer for a lot of people who could benefit from the Segway and your experiences therefore are especially significant. I think someone mentioned earlier that it would be great if you did a blog. I'd like to second that! I would be a frantic, daily reader. Please consider it.

Hubbah
hubbahbubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
segwayusersgroup
segwayusersgroup

5 yr Member

Agree

Linda. This is a pioneering field that you, and thus far you alone are delving into. It would be of the greatest interest to myself and countless others if you posted your daily, or at least as significant in your mind, developments occur as you evolve along with your HT.

My daughter, literally at 10 years of age, ( she is afflicted with a form of MD ) pioneered the use of Personal Digital Assistants (Palm Pilots and the like), into the mainstream public via work she and I did with Carnegie Mellon University in Pennsylvania. Her work has gone on to aid others in various degrees of physical limitations greatly and across the continents.

See [urlhttp://www.pdacontrols.com[/url] for more insight into her work.

MY POINT BEING, you too can change the course of life, by bettering the life of untold people yet to know of your work.

Best wishes and look forward to more info.

Drew

http://www.segwayusersgroup.com - aka: SUG

<h3>"Don't just Ride, Glide"</h3>
segwayusersgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:26 PM   #5
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

Linda - that's good news. In fact it looks like when spasticity hits the Segway is going to be a big help getting around.

My problem is more fatigue, though have some adverse reactions when stress hits. I only have the more severe problems during attacks and although I am curious how I will react when under fire, I certainly don't want one to test it out!

I'm delighted that it helped - I think, once people understand the concept better it will find a LOT of people with MS and similar adopting its use. Of course, we just need to spread the word. I went to a volunteer luncheon today and of all the people I spoke with only one knew what a Segway was, and one other thought she remembered seing it on Good Morning America!

I am with these folks again next week and have promised to take it along (in my car) so hope to be able to educate a few more folks as to the wonderful opportunities.

Have you posted over at MS - there seems to be a small core of folks who are interested there?

Hope the leaks are under control and that the rain soon stops.

Take care
Jill
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:45 PM   #6
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Lazarus and Jillmac,

You probably read that in Los Angeles a Committee on Disabled access is going to be meeting Wednesday and one of their agenda items is the proposed banning of Segways from sidewalks.

I think it would be a great thing if I could use your experience as two Segway owners with MS, to show that there are very positive aspects of Segways for folks with reduced mobility.

If you agree, could you please pm me a message with your name, your city and a little bit about yourself. Also maybe a positive sentence or two about how you are going to use the Segway, or how it changed your outlook?

Anyone else with limited mobility who might be lurking, please chime in as well.

I would like to think that sunny Los Angeles would be open for you to glide the next time you visit. :-)

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 10:52 PM   #7
Ninja
Ninja is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

What great ambassadors, keep up the great work.

"Increase the Peace"
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 10:59 PM   #8
SegwayBill
SegwayBill

5 yr Member

Dear Linda
You go girl.
I have chronic fatigue syndrome and plan to use my Segway to get around the city. It seems the my energy levels are like my battery packs. This was my first full afternoon and we are both recharging now. I also realize that the machine will recharge faster then I do. Getting My Segway has helped me to stay optimistic during a very depressing time in my life.

Bill
SegwayBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
hubbahbubbah
hubbahbubbah

5 yr Member

Linda, would you mind updating us on how things are going?

Hubbah
hubbahbubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:53 PM   #10
Lazarus
Lazarus

5 yr Member

Hello everyone...
The weather here in western MA has kept me from taking Seg out. I can't believe it although I have been unwell and expect that will last until Thursday. For the purpose of this thread, I do a 7 hour infusion every other week and, at the moment, am very unstable as I missed the last one. Gosh, I hope next weekend is dry and perfect as I expect my first public outing when my condition matches the weather---clear.

Still, I have continued to give demonstrations to visitors (inside my home) and have done well. The local tv station did that interview and it must be the only piece showing Seg going half a mile an hour through the corridors of my home. I manipulated past furniture, by china cabinets and even toward my beautiful harp with no fear of crashing. The reprter was here for one and a half hours! The edited story ran almost 2 minutes and ran 3times on local news. (I have no ability to post it (don't use acomputer) and the station does not post stories either)

Anyway, Seg and I are getting on famously. Linda
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote