SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Question Asked about applying my week long rental to an i2 purchase...

I have not seen the "boat" post, so I apologize for not understanding the reference. Sorry Byped.

However, I did want to update everyone on the i2 computer package I want to purchase from the Santa Monica Dealer just a couple miles from me...

Called them after lunch and a woman said they would be happy to sell a BASIC unit now with an expected delivery some time next week. But if I wanted all the stuff that comes in the Commuter package-- I would have to BUY IT ALL SEPARATELY AT FULL MSRP! All they needed was a $500 deposit to place the order...

"No., I said, "Considering the retail cost of all the separate components, that just doesn't make sense to me."

I again made it clear I was willing to wait for all the stuff in the Commuter package, plus add a headlight, accessory mounting bar and lower cargo frame. I'll probably go to a bike shop to look for an audio warning bell or buzzer, as required by California's SB 1918 for MOVs. I doubt the dealer would carry one, let alone sell it for a reasonable markup.

The sales lady kept asking if I wanted a "machine" now. I kept saying "No, I want the Commuter package along with it. The basic machine isn't as useful to me otherwise."

She eventually admitted she had no idea when those accessories / packages were going to be available and therefore couldn't order them now, but would call corporate to find out a firm date. I told her I had heard on the net, possibly mid-Novermber. *shrugs* She's supposed to call back and let me know tomorrow what she finds out... I would think by now, the sales people should know what's going on?

Then I asked if it was possible to apply my $500 rental from August 19th, 2006, to a new machine purchase as stated on their web site. She first said, "No. Usually people buy the machine they're renting right afterwards."

I replied, "But the i180 I rented isn't being made anymore and the i2's came out during the period I was renting..." She quizzed me again if I had rented from them, even though she mentioned earlier what machine I has used (i180). Then she said she would check further into it, but when she called back later in the day to confirm the details of exactly what I wanted; she never mentioned applying my week long rental to the purchase price of the package...

Hmmm. Disappointing.

I can just as easily give my money to a different dealer in Burbank (15 miles away) or Long Beach (22 miles away) if the local people don't play by their own "rules". Their web page clearly states that any rental can be applied to a future purchase. There were no exclusions or limitations concerning the tort published on their site. In fact, I'm going to print it out now, before they change it, then bring it with me when I eventually talk to the owner of the store in person...

http://www.segway.la/rental.php

What do you guys think I should do?

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by byped
I like the "boat" reference - I think from Karl? Was in one of the past threads.
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #12
SEGsby

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byped
I can rant, I can rave - but ultimately - I just bought an i2 outright to avoid the whole issue. Maye that was the best.
I'm coming to the same conclusion... I definately get the sense of "run around" for applying my rental as a purchase credit.

SEGsby
Old 09-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #13
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby
I have not seen the "boat" post, so I apologize for not understanding the reference. Sorry Byped.

However, I did want to update everyone on the i2 computer package I want to purchase from the Santa Monica Dealer just a couple miles from me...

Called them after lunch and a woman said they would be happy to sell a BASIC unit now with an expected delivery some time next week. But if I wanted all the stuff that comes in the Commuter package-- I would have to BUY IT ALL SEPARATELY AT FULL MSRP! All they needed was a $500 deposit to place the order...

"No., I said, "Considering the retail cost of all the separate components, that just doesn't make sense to me."

I again made it clear I was willing to wait for all the stuff in the Commuter package, plus add a headlight, accessory mounting bar and lower cargo frame. I'll probably go to a bike shop to look for an audio warning bell or buzzer, as required by California's SB 1918 for MOVs. I doubt the dealer would carry one, let alone sell it for a reasonable markup.

The sales lady kept asking if I wanted a "machine" now. I kept saying "No, I want the Commuter package along with it. The basic machine isn't as useful to me otherwise."

She eventually admitted she had no idea when those accessories / packages were going to be available and therefore couldn't order them now, but would call corporate to find out a firm date. I told her I had heard on the net, possibly mid-Novermber. *shrugs* She's supposed to call back and let me know tomorrow what she finds out... I would think by now, the sales people should know what's going on?

Then I asked if it was possible to apply my $500 rental from August 19th, 2006, to a new machine purchase as stated on their web site. She first said, "No. Usually people buy the machine they're renting right afterwards."

I replied, "But the i180 I rented isn't being made anymore and the i2's came out during the period I was renting..." She quizzed me again if I had rented from them, even though she mentioned earlier what machine I has used (i180). Then she said she would check further into it, but when she called back later in the day to confirm the details of exactly what I wanted; she never mentioned applying my week long rental to the purchase price of the package...

Hmmm. Disappointing.

I can just as easily give my money to a different dealer in Burbank (15 miles away) or Long Beach (22 miles away) if the local people don't play by their own "rules". Their web page clearly states that any rental can be applied to a future purchase. There were no exclusions or limitations concerning the tort published on their site. In fact, I'm going to print it out now, before they change it, then bring it with me when I eventually talk to the owner of the store in person...

http://www.segway.la/rental.php

What do you guys think I should do?

SEGsby

I talk too much and don't remember well, so I do not know of the boat reference either. I always considered boats to be holes in the water, into which, people pour money...

I believe that Jonathan (Macgeek) made a reference to renting jet skis recently, and as Jon and I are friends and often similar in many regards, perhaps it was a quote of his that I was credited with. Or maybe it was some wize and inciteful thing that I did say, but that brain cell is now dead...

Anyway, I have segged for years, and own an early E-167. (The E machine is similar to the I machines, but it has an electronic parking feature, so that it stays balancing itself when no one is on it)

I recently bought an i2. I bought it with the commutter package as well, but because the options are not yet available, I took the machine as is, and when the rest of the package comes in, I will get it and bolt it to the machine. I believe all the options in the commuter package are bolt on, so I will receive them in box and install myself.

I am not saying that all dealers would do this, and of course, I have paid for that which I do not have, but neither do I have to wait. I have miles and miles on my new seg...

You may want to consider a similar path. That way you do not need to wait, you get the options you want at the package price, and your purchase will be much closer to your rental date, so that it will be easier to get the dealer to go along for the rental toward sale deal....

Good luck! Welcome to the world of gliding. Check out SEG America, and consider comming to our Festival in LA this October...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
byped
byped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member
Default That would be it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal
... I always considered boats to be holes in the water, into which, people pour money...
+2 points for consistency!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #15
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby
...a different dealer in Burbank (15 miles away)
I think you'll find that the listing for Burbank is the same dealer as the one in Santa Monica.

http://www.segway.la/about.php

Also, the information on that page is accurate in 2005. The Burbank location may no longer be open, even though the segway.com dealers page still lists it.

I have heard about this (closure at Burbank) but not verified it myself.

I visited the Burbank location in the summer of 2005, but haven't been over there lately.

I guess the quickest way of seeing if the Burbank location is still open is to call the number listed on the "about" page of Segway of Los Angeles.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:13 AM   #16
SEGsby

5 yr Member

Quote:
Anyway, I have segged for years, and own an early E-167. (The E machine is similar to the I machines, but it has an electronic parking feature, so that it stays balancing itself when no one is on it)

Wow. Cool feature! Too bad that's been taken away along with PA on the i2.

Quote:
I recently bought an i2. I bought it with the commutter package as well, but because the options are not yet available, I took the machine as is, and when the rest of the package comes in, I will get it and bolt it to the machine. I believe all the options in the commuter package are bolt on, so I will receive them in box and install myself.

I am not saying that all dealers would do this, and of course, I have paid for that which I do not have, but neither do I have to wait. I have miles and miles on my new seg...

You may want to consider a similar path. That way you do not need to wait, you get the options you want at the package price, and your purchase will be much closer to your rental date, so that it will be easier to get the dealer to go along for the rental toward sale deal....
I was not offered the option of buying the commuter package, then getting all the add-ons later for the same package price. I asked.

Should know more tomorrow when they call back...

Thanks.

SEGsby
Old 09-05-2006, 01:15 AM   #17
SEGsby

5 yr Member

Ah, the info is much appreciated.

Thanks,
SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander
I think you'll find that the listing for Burbank is the same dealer as the one in Santa Monica.

http://www.segway.la/about.php

Also, the information on that page is accurate in 2005. The Burbank location may no longer be open, even though the segway.com dealers page still lists it.

I have heard about this (closure at Burbank) but not verified it myself.

I visited the Burbank location in the summer of 2005, but haven't been over there lately.

I guess the quickest way of seeing if the Burbank location is still open is to call the number listed on the "about" page of Segway of Los Angeles.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:57 AM   #18
SEGsby

5 yr Member

Oh, I forgot to mention, I had used the Segway Configuation page to send my local dealer what I wanted, early last week, but never heard anything back.

Has anyone actually gotten call backs from Dealers after filling out the contact info?

SEGsby
Old 09-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #19
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have received comments back from my not-so-local dealer through the contact a dealer page. I think a lot depends on how computer literate the dealer is.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #20
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Where I live jet ski rentals go for $65 per 'half' hour. More than our 2.5 hour Segway tour at $61. $500 per week for a Segway rental does on the face of it seem high, but consider this:

The freedom to ride without supervision brings a much higher liability potential for the business, therefore the cost-to-rent needs to reflect the higher cost of coverage. In a rental situation the Segway seems to age more quickly and parts come back more frequently broken.

On the other hand $500 is a fair rental cost for seven days. A tour operation that charges $65 per tour, two times per day, seven days per week will earn much more than $500.

If the application of a rental towards a purchase did not come with a time limit, they should honor it.

This is a classic reason why I chose not to become a Segway dealer. The ONLY customers I have are 100% happy ones. There is NEVER a conflict of interest from a tour customer feeling pressured to purchase on impulse 'after the tour'. Our enthusiasm for the tour is genuine, with no motive to sell. How many bus or trolley tours sell the buses or trolleys, NONE. And, there is never any customer service issues. Our biggest problem occurs at the end of each tour, nobody wants to get off the machines!!