SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespook View Post
I am quite fascinated by the concept of the laynebuilt chair, as I understand it. Is there a public site where I can learn more?

Blue
Tarik indicated that they are busy getting he Right2B ready for production and at lower priority attempting to get a website up and running at the same time.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
rickb

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfireboy View Post
This cost seems inordinately excessive. I can get a new i2 for less than $6000. I understand that there is a cost to developing the wheelchair components on top of that but $12500 is over double the price. I have priced similar concepts and they are significantly cheaper (by about 50% including shipping to Australia). What am I missing here? I am happy to be corrected.
If you are aware of a similar product at 50% less please provide a website for the product. I have not seen anything comparable stability wise for safer mounts & dismounts. My favorite product to date with build quality, comfort, and being at eye level while seated is the SegSaddle............but it is not stable enough for my situation on mounts/dismounts. I tested this product for two plus hours at a Segway dealer in MN. Perhaps Brian will develop a kickstand option (or maybe we can purchase the LayneBuilt kickstand separately) that is if it works with the SegSaddle product.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
msfireboy
msfireboy

5 yr Member

My apologies to anyone I offended by my comment regarding the expense of the autonomy wheelchair. I was just surprised initially by the cost as indicated and 'shot from the lip' without ruminating sufficiently. I was also disappointed as it appeared to place it beyond my reach and it did look to be the best solution.
The other device I was talking about was the next best thing in my estimation but as it didn't stabilise when turned off and dismounting would appear to be difficult with the control column in front I suppose it was not really comparable on those fronts. Having said that the Glidr is a tremendous device for those who don't have these requirements.
So it looks like I'm back to saving madly for a bit longer...and then buying overseas sight unseen. Still that's a minor thing compared to life in the Antipodes.
msfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #14
rickb

5 yr Member

Quote:
My apologies to anyone I offended by my comment regarding the expense of the autonomy wheelchair. I was just surprised initially by the cost as indicated and 'shot from the lip' without ruminating sufficiently. I was also disappointed as it appeared to place it beyond my reach and it did look to be the best solution.
The other device I was talking about was the next best thing in my estimation but as it didn't stabilise when turned off and dismounting would appear to be difficult with the control column in front I suppose it was not really comparable on those fronts. Having said that the Glidr is a tremendous device for those who don't have these requirements.
So it looks like I'm back to saving madly for a bit longer...and then buying overseas sight unseen. Still that's a minor thing compared to life in the Antipodes.
I don't think you offended anyone. I agree with your comments. I was very surprised by the high cost too. I was only attempting to rationalize that high cost.

I test rode the Glidr in October and found it fairly easy to mount and dismount from the front of this unit. It was like sitting down on a chair. The steering/stick was low enough on the ground for an easy stepover. Much more affordable. If it looks like it would meet your needs you should test ride it...............perhaps your local Segway Dealer would ship one in for demos.

I am interested in testing the Right2B but with the cost involved I will be saving for awhile too. I discussed with Tarik at Laynebuilt the possibility of purchasing the kickstand separately and using it for stability along with some other product like the GlidR or the SegSaddle hoping to keep the cost down. He tells me it may be possible after they get the production models ready.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
rickb

5 yr Member

Quote:
Hopefully, you received my message/contact info on the Right 2B Autonomy wheelchair.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
rickb

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
Tarik indicated that they are busy getting he Right2B ready for production and at lower priority attempting to get a website up and running at the same time.
Today's email from Tarik indicate that the Right2B Segway Wheelchair is close to launch/production with added features (bells & whistles), design and visual appeal much improved over the concept we have seen in videos. I am eager to see and test ride this one. I only wish the MSRP was lower.