SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #111
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

I bought 23" tires for my I2-X2 conversion. They work great, but I ended up installing the turf spacers for enough fender clearance:

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showpos...&postcount=213
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #112
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default InfoKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I bought 23" tires for my I2-X2 conversion. They work great, but I ended up installing the turf spacers for enough fender clearance:

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showpos...&postcount=213
Does the InfoKey give an accurate measure of miles/km with the new tires? Have you noticed a change in road performance, speed, or torque? Do you inflate to 4psi or something different? Thanks.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #113
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seginaway View Post
Does the InfoKey give an accurate measure of miles/km with the new tires? Have you noticed a change in road performance, speed, or torque? Do you inflate to 4psi or something different? Thanks.
The infokey, as suspected, is displaying a simple function of factory set speeds based on factory set tire sizes.

Install a larger or smaller diameter tire, and the displayed speed will be inaccurate.

The math is fairly simple for computing your new max speed, simply compare the new diameter to the factory set one, and make your adjustments. The slightly larger tires on my segway give me about a 13.75 mph max, but the display will still say 12.5 mph. (actually it pretty much does not maintain that exact speed that much. At 10 mph, or even 11 mph, steady speed is fairly easy to maintain, but max speed is harder)

Unfortunately, unless you are very good at math in your head, speeds up to the max will require you multiplying in your head the displayed speed by a correction factor.

Once you get used to it, you may be able to make benchmarks for yourself. As an example above, 12.5 displayed equals 13.75 actual. (this is a ratio of about 1 : 1.1) That means that if the display is 10 mph, the actual is 11mph.
Display of 5 mph, actual speed is about 5.5 mph.

This example works for me, and happens to work for my tires, but another ratio may be harder on the mental math...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #114
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I know Karl knows this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
The infokey, as suspected, is displaying a simple function of factory set speeds based on factory set tire sizes.
...at some particular tire pressure, with some specified rider weight, and on some particular surface...

In other words, a function of the number of wheel rotations.

It doesn't display truly accurate speed or distance at all - much less if you change some parameter.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #115
Seginaway

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
I know Karl knows this:

...at some particular tire pressure, with some specified rider weight, and on some particular surface...

In other words, a function of the number of wheel rotations.

It doesn't display truly accurate speed or distance at all - much less if you change some parameter.

The parameters have definitely been changed. My InfoKey generally shows something in the 11's for speed though my observation is that I'm progressing much faster than before I changed the tires. It's a difficult calculation, though since one Li-Ion is OEM, almost 7 years old, and the other is an MTO re-fresh that I purchased from my Dealer, Segway of Lehigh Valley, after it died two (2) months after the warranty period I may not be maxing out my speed.

Next upgrade for Trigger is a new, upgraded set from MTO though it's been a difficult decision as I'm still able to do 80% of my normal Glide activity with my current set of 6-7 year old Li-Ions. And, summer is coming, so they perform much better in 70-80 weather then they do in the 20-30 degree weather that will be my Gliding home temp tonight.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #116
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default One of my favorite Segway things . . .

A quiet ride home with a clear sky, full moon at 30+ degrees at 2:00 am.

Bluetooth playing Blue Sky by the Allman Bros. in my headphones.

Ahhhhhhh.........
Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #117
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
As Karl stated, the infokey will still show speed based on wheel rpm, but because the circumference of the bigger tires is greater than stock size, you are actually going faster at the same rpm. Performance seems otherwise relatively unaffected, maybe a little slower to accelerate, but barely noticeable. The machine is taller, so better ground clearance. For comfort and traction, I stay with the 4-5 psi. If I need maximum range, I increase it to almost 10 psi.

I only use this configuration for off-road or other open spaces, as it is much too large to mix with urban conditions, doorways, and many spaces. For that, I convert it back to i2 configuration.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #118
Seginaway

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
As Karl stated, the infokey will still show speed based on wheel rpm, but because the circumference of the bigger tires is greater than stock size, you are actually going faster at the same rpm. Performance seems otherwise relatively unaffected, maybe a little slower to accelerate, but barely noticeable. The machine is taller, so better ground clearance. For comfort and traction, I stay with the 4-5 psi. If I need maximum range, I increase it to almost 10 psi.

I only use this configuration for off-road or other open spaces, as it is much too large to mix with urban conditions, doorways, and many spaces. For that, I convert it back to i2 configuration.
Thanks, Pete.

I've noticed that since the tire change that the InfoKey speed appears to be false and I am thinking of utilizing a GPS to get a better figure. From your earlier statement, if I calculated properly; the former top speed of 12.5 mph is increased by 5% difference in circumference, then the new top speed should approach 13.125 mph. Doesn't seem like much, but I feel like I'm gliding like the wind now.

Also, one of my Li-Ion is an original which is now 7 years old (the other is 5+ year old MTO refresh through my Dealer) so there is definitely a reduced performance expectation added to the tire size change. I figure it's a combination of old Li-Ions and the larger size tires that are reducing uphill performance, though it's my belief that downhill and straightaway, slight decline, performance has been enhanced.

As to psi, the new setup includes tubes and is around 8-9psi which is higher then what I ran before but provides longer distance. For a comfy ride, I found that the 3-4psi number was the best for all-terrain gliding and what I use most.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #119
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Thanks, Pete.

I've noticed that since the tire change that the InfoKey speed appears to be false and I am thinking of utilizing a GPS to get a better figure. From your earlier statement, if I calculated properly; the former top speed of 12.5 mph is increased by 5% difference in circumference, then the new top speed should approach 13.125 mph. Doesn't seem like much, but I feel like I'm gliding like the wind now.

Also, one of my Li-Ion is an original which is now 7 years old (the other is 5+ year old MTO refresh through my Dealer) so there is definitely a reduced performance expectation added to the tire size change. I figure it's a combination of old Li-Ions and the larger size tires that are reducing uphill performance, though it's my belief that downhill and straightaway, slight decline, performance has been enhanced.

As to psi, the new setup includes tubes and is around 8-9psi which is higher then what I ran before but provides longer distance. For a comfy ride, I found that the 3-4psi number was the best for all-terrain gliding and what I use most.
One thing to consider with marginal or questionable batteries, but it actually is a segway constant, is that the lesser of the two batteries, if one is actually stronger than the other, is what the segway displays and acts upon.

A question that is most likely best answered by MTO, is something that I have considered in the past, and if memory serves, has been touched upon in the past...

Since the rear battery seems to drive the radio board, does it make sense to rotate the batteries for even or more even use? I suspect that on a week to week, or month to month basis, it may matter less, but since several of us now have 7 year old batteries, even a tiny extra load may be worth swapping them front to rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #120
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default Battery Rotation . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
One thing to consider with marginal or questionable batteries, but it actually is a segway constant, is that the lesser of the two batteries, if one is actually stronger than the other, is what the segway displays and acts upon.

A question that is most likely best answered by MTO, is something that I have considered in the past, and if memory serves, has been touched upon in the past...

Since the rear battery seems to drive the radio board, does it make sense to rotate the batteries for even or more even use? I suspect that on a week to week, or month to month basis, it may matter less, but since several of us now have 7 year old batteries, even a tiny extra load may be worth swapping them front to rear.
A number of the threads here suggest battery rotation on a regular basis because the rear is always "ON" feeding the radio board and other circuits; while the other battery is only used when the Segway is activated. I've followed that protocol and it is probably one of the reasons my X2 still gets 10-16 miles on a full charge in warm weather on a straightaway. Cold weather, even though I've replaced my radio board, still presents problems but I've learned to deal with them with a under battery heater, electric blanket on the top and always turning on the Segway in balance mode then attaching to power to allow the batteries to "equalize" before I start my cold weather glides.

Before I replaced the radio board because of the "cold start" problem, I often had to remove the batteries to "reboot" the system when it didn't respond to the InfoKey. Over the years this always presented an opportune time to exchange Front to Rear, Rear to Front. With the new radio board I haven't had this problem though it is getting warmer, but when I recently put on new shoes, I took the opportunity to switch the batteries around as well.

Is battery rotation beneficial, I can't definitively say; but an ounce of prevention is always easier than a pound of cure and my batteries have worked for many, many years under this protocol.

Last edited by Seginaway; 04-07-2013 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: I2 / X2 clarafication