SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Tory
Tory is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Red face Extra set of rims and tires

Is an extra set of rims and tires expensive? In the Segway Chat somewhere someone said tires can be bought at places other than Segway. What places can tires be bought at ? Are the tires very similair in tread so they react the same as Segway tires on slippery surfaces? Is there such a thing as an 8lb. torque wrench for rim/tire install and if so where to I buy one? Thank you in advance ---Tory
Tory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Some of this depends on what Segway you own. The gen1 segways only have tire/wheel combinations from Segway, the gen2 segways allow purchase of the tires, inner-tubes, wheels as separate parts.

You can purchase third party tires that fit great but most are not non-maring.

There is a page on the WIKI about tires. You can read it at Tire Guide

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
Is there such a thing as an 8lb. torque wrench for rim/tire install and if so where to I buy one?
Tory,
Did you mean 8 ft-lbf torque wrench? I previously posted a link to a low-torque torque wrench,
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
but that was for batteries. I thought all wheel specs called for 26 ft-lbf.

Edit: You might want to fill in your member profile so that we can respond with info that is more pertinent to your situation. You might be a neighbor and could use my torque wrench.

John Kuhn

Last edited by bentbiker; 07-23-2008 at 12:28 AM..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
Tory

5 yr Member
Default torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Tory,
Did you mean 8 ft-lbf torque wrench? I previously posted a link to a low-torque torque wrench,

Edit: You might want to fill in your member profile so that we can respond with info that is more pertinent to your situation. You might be a neighbor and could use my torque wrench.
Thanks bentbiker about the torque wrench. Yes it is for my Segway rims , and I thought it was 8 ft-lbf so I'll be sure to look . Either way I'll get the wrench, thanks again. I'll try to fill in profile once I get a pic of some sort. Tory
Old 07-23-2008, 03:16 AM   #5
Tory

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Some of this depends on what Segway you own. The gen1 segways only have tire/wheel combinations from Segway, the gen2 segways allow purchase of the tires, inner-tubes, wheels as separate parts.

You can purchase third party tires that fit great but most are not non-maring.

There is a page on the WIKI about tires. You can read it at Tire Guide
Thanks jgbackes for the info, and I do own the i2 model. Depending on cost I thought it would be a good idea to have 1 or 2 complete tire/rim assembly so now I'll contact a dealer for rims. Thanks again. Tory
Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 AM   #6
Tory

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Tory,

bentbiker just to let you know and thanks for the offer to use your torque wrench but I am most likely 1500 to 2300 miles away from you in absolutely, beautiful,wonderful CANADA. Tory
Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
Thanks bentbiker about the torque wrench. Yes it is for my Segway rims , and I thought it was 8 ft-lbf so I'll be sure to look . Either way I'll get the wrench, thanks again. I'll try to fill in profile once I get a pic of some sort. Tory
Note that the wrench I pointed out won't work on wheels -- it only goes up to 60 in-lbf.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote