SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 AM   #11
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
. . . however, the spring seems to REALLY be on there and I think I'd need a pretty good cutting tool to get it off. I've tried.
If you remove the spring and stud together, you can unwind the spring from the stud. It is not easy.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 AM   #12
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

I still haven't managed to get the spring off the stud yet... I think I need a vice (or advice)
;-)
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
falves
falves is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Exclamation Removing Spring

Pete,

The problem is that trying to unscrew the stud from the spring by backing out from the stud side, causes the spring tension to tighten around the stud and makes it almost impossible to remove. You can use brute force with pliers and mangle the spring into submission, or you can use a long hex wrench and go in from the open spring end. The stud has a hex hole on that end, and by screwing the stud all the way through the spring and out the long way, the tension of the spring is relieved and the stud comes out fairly easily!

Hope this helps,
Fernando
falves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I still haven't managed to get the spring off the stud yet... I think I need a vice (or advice)
;-)
Although I agree totally with Fernando on the tightening of the coils in one direction and loosening in the long direction, I've still been unable to remove the stud without unwinding the spring (turning it into a long straight wire) from the stud.

Yes, a vice helps a lot, but I think (haven't done it) that you should be able to use a ViceGrip in place of a vice and then unwind with pliers. Worst case, come to the parade on July 4 and I'll bring a small portable vice. Having a truly functional stand is great -- finally.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
headtow
headtow is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Good Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
The Segway Parking Stand has one horrible issue; it breaks. What happens is that typically the spring will bend near the attachment point making it unble to support the Segway from that point on.

Once your Segway Parking Stand has broken in the typical fashion though, you can actually make a better one.

Here's what ya do. Go to a hobby store and pick up a piece of brass tube stock. 19/32x.014 Costs about $3.50.

Using a tube cutter, cut the tube to the appropriate length. While you're at it, cut two and keep one for a spare. The brass tubing -may- eventually break again, but that is FAR preferable to your bolts that attach the parking stand to the base breaking.

Remove the heat shrink tubing from the stand and replace it with the brass tube.

The outward pressure of the still attached and bent spring will hold the brass tube in place and allow for some slop.

Here's the finished product.

That looks great, I have changed mine also and used allthread to replacthe spring. It works great, I also made two one with a chrom tip, and one rubber. Both better than stock. Wish I could have used it more, but on vacation the batteries failed. Now I need to know all about batteries, and do not speak the language.
headtow is offline   Reply With Quote