SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:08 AM   #11
Flightlogic
Flightlogic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default don't get it

I can't figure out why you would quit. You went in a hole and fell off.
Growing up, everybody fell off their bike. My particular case might be a minority, but I love to fly little planes. Twice, I have had forced landings. Once, on fire in flight and once an engine failure. I was flying again as soon as possible. There are so many ways to get hurt that aren't even fun at all. Why avoid something you really love? Maybe compromise and do two things. Ride only in daylight and ride a bit slower. I don't fly single engine in the dark anymore. Twins are ok for that. You probably will be just fine... if you ride carefully. Anyway, good luck in the future either way. Cheers.
Flightlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightlogic View Post
I can't figure out why you would quit. You went in a hole and fell off.
Growing up, everybody fell off their bike. My particular case might be a minority, but I love to fly little planes. Twice, I have had forced landings. Once, on fire in flight and once an engine failure. I was flying again as soon as possible. There are so many ways to get hurt that aren't even fun at all. Why avoid something you really love? Maybe compromise and do two things. Ride only in daylight and ride a bit slower. I don't fly single engine in the dark anymore. Twins are ok for that. You probably will be just fine... if you ride carefully. Anyway, good luck in the future either way. Cheers.
The ability to handle a fall changes as one gets older and the body develops problems. I think the OP was evaluating the after effects of a fall to his body. I am sure if the OP was a teen, and bounced well, he would continue the hobby regardless of the fall risk.

The results of an aircraft accident, to the crew, are largely dependent on the orientation of the aircraft when it comes down. Level and flat is good. Any other orientation is hugely bad. It has little to do with how healthy the crew is in the fall since the forces applied to them are hugely varied in an aircraft accident.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
Hardenburgward1@aol.
Hardenburgward1@aol. is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Sorry to see you go... and thought for the future

If you find you miss segway and have a yearn to give it another try you might consider one of those seat conversions for segway. I don;t use one myself but I gather it makes the segway more like a three or four wheel device that is very difficult to tip over.

Just a thought...
Hardenburgward1@aol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

It's not a matter of being afraid to continue gliding. If I wasn't married, I'm sure I'd be back on as soon as I heal, because I know the cause of the fall was a fluke. After the first bad fall a year ago, I somehow managed to convince my wife that it wouldn't happen again, but there'd be no chance of persuading her now, and she'd be totally stressed every time I took it out.

Most of my gliding was on a bike trail, going places I needed to go anyway, with only an occasional unnecessary 'just for fun' trip. So my normal routes had long ago become routine (boring). It used to be fun to offer rides to anyone interested, in hopes that it would someday catch on as a fun alternative to driving, but it's been a long time since anyone paid me any attention.

I recently augmented the eco-friendly aspect of the Segway with an electric bike and an electric car, so it had lost some of its luster in that regard too.

One of the people in a Y class who sent me a get well card wrote 'Time to grow up, kid'. I think maybe he got it right. Moot point anyway, as I sold the Segs a week ago, and can truly say I haven't missed them. Much.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #15
terryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttonChops View Post
Hi TerryP

Had my first No Coat guide yesterday afternoon on a short run down to the hardware store.

Those first warm, dry guides are always a kick.
And know you always enjoyed them.

Take Care
Craig
I'm sure I'll miss it a little come summer.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #16
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
I'm sure I'll miss it a little come summer.
Hi Terry:

After 11 years of gliding, it's time that I should be giving up gliding too. I have MS and its getting too hard and dangerous to mount/dismount my Segways safely, so I have started the process of getting an electric wheel chair to assist me in getting from my car to my desk at work. I used to use the segway for that, plus lots of gliding in between too. But time marches on and life changes, and all good things must come to an end. At least I had lots of fun times. So rest assured buddy that you are not alone. I live outside of DC and they have a big segway tours business in there plus another shop in Annapolis, so I think I will contact them to try and sell off my I2 and my SE if they are interested.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #17
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Terry, I wish you the best.

I have MS, too, I know that my time will come along in a year or so, too.

But it HAS been a blast!!

Best wishes.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #18
terryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post

Best wishes.
Dudeman - I have to tell you that your avatar is painful to look at. ;-)

Rwoynaro - I remember how hard it was to convince my dad that it was time to give up driving. If you think it’s time to give up gliding, it probably is. 11 years is a good run.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:59 AM   #19
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Hi Terry:

After 11 years of gliding, it's time that I should be giving up gliding too. I have MS and its getting too hard and dangerous to mount/dismount my Segways safely, so I have started the process of getting an electric wheel chair to assist me in getting from my car to my desk at work. I used to use the segway for that, plus lots of gliding in between too. But time marches on and life changes, and all good things must come to an end. At least I had lots of fun times. So rest assured buddy that you are not alone. I live outside of DC and they have a big segway tours business in there plus another shop in Annapolis, so I think I will contact them to try and sell off my I2 and my SE if they are interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post

Best wishes.
I too am blessed with MS and have difficulty getting on and off my Segway.I only have about 30 miles of gliding with it but the freedom it has afforded me is incredible.When things progress to the point that I can no longer stand safely I will transition to a Segseat.There are some Youtube videos of paraplegics using this method.I have just begun my Segway journey and I am sad that Terry has ended his.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #20
terryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber802 View Post
I too am blessed with MS and have difficulty getting on and off my Segway.I only have about 30 miles of gliding with it but the freedom it has afforded me is incredible.When things progress to the point that I can no longer stand safely I will transition to a Segseat.There are some Youtube videos of paraplegics using this method.I have just begun my Segway journey and I am sad that Terry has ended his.
I’m glad the Segway is working out for you, but I can understand the difficulty getting on and off - harder than gliding for someone without good stability. The Segseat appears to be well designed, and would be the logical next step.