SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Exclamation water damage?

two were on my segvator through the heaviest rains a month ago
will my axles rust up?
im mostly concerned about all the screws rustingi try to spray with wd4owhen i can but im pretty laid up.my segvator gets a spray too.the inverter dor is closed but sure isnt designed very wellcant close inverter door because thereis no cord cutout.i tried to have a nice dual cover made the guy got flakey before finishing it
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
two were on my segvator through the heaviest rains a month ago
will my axles rust up?
im mostly concerned about all the screws rustingi try to spray with wd4owhen i can but im pretty laid up.my segvator gets a spray too.the inverter dor is closed but sure isnt designed very wellcant close inverter door because thereis no cord cutout.i tried to have a nice dual cover made the guy got flakey before finishing it
I found you can buy a lawn mower cover that works pretty well. You can find them at big department stores like walmart and target, as well as auto stores.

The nice thing about these vinyl covers is that they are cheap, and easy to install. They will not stop all spray, but most of it.

I do not have a segvator, so I cannot offer much on that topic.

Two potential thoughts that come to mind are:

1. You can drill a hole in the bottom of the charger cover, so the cord can go thru and the door shut. I do not know the clearance for a cord in the plug while the door is shut, so this may not work.

2. You can get a short cord of specific design that you can install in the outlet in the inverter assembly, and have it hang out in some manner. If there are tight tolerances for space, you can get those flat or angled cords designed for behind furniture.

One last thought that came to mind is that you can place an upside down zip lock bag over the charger head before departing....

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:15 AM   #3
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Talking

does anyone have any experience with their screws rusting? i guess my question is toward the rust resistance of the bolts and screws especially the battery bolts.
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
does anyone have any experience with their screws rusting? i guess my question is toward the rust resistance of the bolts and screws especially the battery bolts.
They do rust, but I think it may be reflective of how the machine is stored and used, but there have been posts about the battery bolts rusting...

At one point in the past, I was offering security screws (with a special head, and we provided the matching wrench) when the LiIons first came out, and a friend and I thought there might be a security issue with such expensive batteries being stolen...

We chose to use a stainless steel bolt, because of the rust issue we knew of back in 2005/2006 when we did this.

I believe that with an aluminum base, however, there is a potential for corrosion either from oxidation or from dielectric issues of different metals.

If you have a problem, you may want to remove a screw, bring it to a good supplier, like Fastenal (where we went) and they can get you an exact copy of your screw, in whatever material you may feel works best. I would then suggest you use one of the coatings that are now available to inhibit oxidation from different causes.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
VoltaRiders
VoltaRiders is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

it depends where you store it. Keep it in dry good ventilated place and it will be ok.
VoltaRiders is offline   Reply With Quote