SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default a visit to London

My company is sending me to [or just outside of] London in early September. Unfortunately tho without my wife, for a month-or-so transition into a new office, and I've never been there.. I know we have several members from England and would love some advise...what to do, things to see, stuff like that. I'm already looking to see if RyanAir goes to Dubai, to meet Steven, and for €18 I can go to Madrid on the weekends and have tapas with Antony...just wish I could bring my glide!!! -suggestions for GOOD Indian food?

Thanks

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:14 AM   #2
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
My company is sending me to [or just outside of] London in early September. Unfortunately tho without my wife, for a month-or-so transition into a new office, and I've never been there.. I know we have several members from England and would love some advise...what to do, things to see, stuff like that. I'm already looking to see if RyanAir goes to Dubai, to meet Steven, and for €18 I can go to Madrid on the weekends and have tapas with Antony...just wish I could bring my glide!!! -suggestions for GOOD Indian food?

Thanks
London is a great place to visit, I have been there a few times myself.

If you liked the movie Nottinhill, then for sure visit portobello road on a saturday morning.

If you are into plants/flowers, then you have to visit Kew Gardens. If you like animals, then London Zoo is the place to be.

Of course there is too much to see, even if you are there for a month, and I can tell you about all the places I have been, but it's probably better to visit: www.londontown.com

On the Londontown.com website you can find all the fun things, but also the tube (=metro) maps, might be handy if you want some quick transportation from Heatrow airport to your hotel. Transportation by anything with more then 2 wheels is a drama in London.

If you want to visit one of the shows, I visited Lion King which is a fantastic show, you will have to book straight away, otherwise you might miss the opportunity to mis the shows.

But do yourself a favor, let your wife come to London too, if you browse through the arrival and departure dates, you should be able to find a affordable flight (return ticket Miami - London: around the 862 dollar), I'm sure one of the english people on this forum might even be able to find a cheaper flight.

P.S. the 18 euro to madrid is excluding the airport taxes and probably luggage costs, make sure to check the total price.

Florin
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hey Bill - I don't know London well, but if you're prepared to hop on a train up North, there's a ton of great Indian restaurant's in my neck of the woods - "the curry mile", for example, in Manchester, where there is literally nothing but curry house after curry house, for erm, about a mile!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
"the curry mile", for example, in Manchester, where there is literally nothing but curry house after curry house, for erm, about a mile!
Let's all get on the next flight and head on over. Or better yet take a cruise ship (that way we can take the segs with us - and Jared would come too then!)

Now when in the UK - do we glide on the Right or the Left side of the sidewalk.

This just might be confusing for us Yanks. Especially after a pint or two!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
SegWayne
SegWayne will become famous soon enoughSegWayne will become famous soon enough

Location: On Grandparent tour, currently spoiling Grandchild in Texas
5 yr Member
Default Queensway Tube stop

Quote:
-suggestions for GOOD Indian food?[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Thanks
When I lived in London in the '70s the Queensway tube stop (two after Marble Arch or one before Notting Hill Gate) was the "center of Indian food". Great City, home of the original Hard Rock Cafe, been back several times .... but like most, see what ya gotta see then get out in the country for the "real deal"
Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the suggestions - I am going to spend alot of time there. We have currently only ONE Indian restaurant and it is mediocre at best. But I've also had the *very* best, to me nothing will ever compare to Branto Pure Veg in Tsim Sha Tsui.
I know Segs are banned there, but I see there are Seg tours - anyone been on any that they would recommend ("..look kids, Big Ben, Parliament...").
I'd bring my wife in a second if her work would let her off Florin - she may come up for a week with a friend if she can get the time off. We learned the hard way about RyanAir a few years ago, when we decided to daytrip from Rome to Venice...and we bought too many souvenirs. They cost too much to toss out, we didn't have time to mail them, so we got stuck paying through the nose. Now we just try to wrap things up early enough to ship our goodies back to our hotel.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 08-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
Let's all get on the next flight and head on over. Or better yet take a cruise ship (that way we can take the segs with us - and Jared would come too then!)

Now when in the UK - do we glide on the Right or the Left side of the sidewalk.

This just might be confusing for us Yanks. Especially after a pint or two!
Hey Will, you glide any damn side you like buddy, it's all illegal

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Bill, you have a pm.

OK fellow Brits, I feel a group hug coming on!

Here's a thought (yeah I know, treat it gently its in a strange place!).

I guess Bill would like to meet a few gliders, and I'm sure we'd love to meet him. One of our members owns a B&B in the Midlands area, and has got permission to Glide in the Forest. You can see were I'm coming from already.

I'd be happy to bring a spare machine up!

What do you reckon guys?

PM or email me if you don't want to post.

Southern Segway

Old 08-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
BillPaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
Bill, you have a pm.

OK fellow Brits, I feel a group hug coming on!

Here's a thought (yeah I know, treat it gently its in a strange place!).

I guess Bill would like to meet a few gliders, and I'm sure we'd love to meet him. One of our members owns a B&B in the Midlands area, and has got permission to Glide in the Forest. You can see were I'm coming from already.

I'd be happy to bring a spare machine up!

What do you reckon guys?

PM or email me if you don't want to post.
Well you know you can count me in! Heck, that's worth talking my wife into taking some unpaid days off of work to join us! (caution: she can drink you under the table and she will try to sucker you into a drinking contest)

Old 08-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Well you know you can count me in! Heck, that's worth talking my wife into taking some unpaid days off of work to join us! (caution: she can drink you under the table and she will try to sucker you into a drinking contest)
That will be a bit of a non starter with me, I'm a tee totaller. But then someone has to tell everyone what they got up to the night before

Southern Segway