SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:59 AM   #1
Tory
Tory is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question Tube flat

I haven't used my Segway in about 5 weeks and now both tires are extremely low, way too low to ride on. Could you let me know if this is a problem with i2 Segways or just mine? If it is the valve core, why? if it just dissipates then why? How do I rectify this problem as I have a disability that wouldn't allow me to kneel and fix flats so do I now put Slime or ? in the tube to eliminate the problem? Please help as I only have 3 weeks before I go on holidays. Thanks, Tory
Tory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 AM   #2
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

If the tires aren't actually flat but simply low and especially since it's both tires, it's probably not a leak but air dissipating out of the tires as usual. All "normal" tires do this.

Slime is a good preventative measure however for flats and may even slow down some of the normal air dissipation so you can either search for the information already on this web site or simply wait for other, more experienced people than myself, to explain the procedure to you.

I'm nearly certain our resident Slime expert, cmonkey, will chime in here soon.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
I haven't used my Segway in about 5 weeks and now both tires are extremely low, way too low to ride on. Could you let me know if this is a problem with i2 Segways or just mine? If it is the valve core, why? if it just dissipates then why? How do I rectify this problem as I have a disability that wouldn't allow me to kneel and fix flats so do I now put Slime or ? in the tube to eliminate the problem? Please help as I only have 3 weeks before I go on holidays. Thanks, Tory
It is not normal for an i2 to go from 15 psi to a pressure "way too low to ride" in 5 weeks. Ballpark 1 pound per month is more normal and the tires are still quite rideable at 10 psi. The best thing to do is pull the wheels off, pump them to 25 psi and stick them in a tub of water. I'm betting you see bubbles. If so, you can search the site for instructions on how to patch a tube; there are a couple tutorial videos worth watching.

When was the last time you measured the pressure; could it be that it was low but rideable 5 weeks ago? As Quade pointed out, air does migrate out of any tire and you need to check them regularly. Did you by any chance ride the Segway through any fields where you might have picked up thorns? For you to have picked up glass or tacks in both tires at once would be rare.

As for Slime, you'll find plenty of posts if you search. Just be advised that there has not been a single post citing a successful long-term patching of an i2 tubed tire. I tried using it and it leaked, but as you might see in the search, it was pointed out that I really don't know for sure that my tube's failure was because of a thorn as I suspect (it went back to INC), so I cannot say categorically that it won't work in low pressure applications -- but that is what I believe. Slime in tubeless tires seems to work very well for a number of people who have posted.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Tire Pressure is one of the only Mainteance Items on a Segway

I would say that 9 out of 10 machines that come into the dealership are low on air, and the 10th, just had air put in it yesterday.

Like in your car, air pressure in your tires is important, and it should be checked every week.

You could have a valve stem that is leaking a bit, but in the case of two tires that are both down on air pressure, it is probably has not been checked in a long time.

Start a weekly journal on it, when you ride it, check the air pressure once a week (or in your case, have someone else do so) With the I-2 it is a PIA as you have to put the unit on it's side. You should have to add air at least monthly. More so when the tempature changes. Slime will help with air leakage, but not with the seasonal changes in the air pressure that you find when it gets cold in the fall and winter.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
SegDog
SegDog is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Checking tire pressures

Last time I checked my I2 tire pressures (rasslin' the unit to the ground and removing wheels one at a time) and saw how low they were, I started cogitating on a better system. I kept looking at my large milk-crates in the basement, and kept thinking about emptying one and seeing how the I2 seats on top.

Finally today, emptied a large milk-crate (flipped it) and learned how perfect the I2 sat on top. Pulled both without any trouble (after marking the wheel and stud); cleaned up everything under the wheels.

I took one of the wheels to a bike shop that I haven't visited in years. They were very interested in my story, and are working on finding a special shrader-valve extension tube they used to sell for a particular long reach tire. Made some new friends.

With the I2 up on the crate, reaching is not really an issue anymore. Even powered-up and ran the wheels a little. Makes for a good display.

Didn't take much to make me happy.

Healthy New Year!!!

Effort equals results - Roger Penske

"when I look-up at the stars, I don't see Darwin's work, I see God's work" GMA
SegDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Segdog, if they work out that valve stem extender, let us all know! The tires and the refilling of them is the second most annoying thing about the i2.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Okay, I'll bite... What is the first?

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Segdog, if they work out that valve stem extender, let us all know! The tires and the refilling of them is the second most annoying thing about the i2.
Pam
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

For me, getting the LSF on so that it doesn't click and slip when I'm trying to glide (Obviously I haven't gotten this fixed to my satisfaction). Anyone want to come to Niceville and help me out ?
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
Okay, I'll bite... What is the first?

SEGsby
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #9
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
For me, getting the LSF on so that it doesn't click and slip when I'm trying to glide (Obviously I haven't gotten this fixed to my satisfaction). Anyone want to come to Niceville and help me out ?
Pam
Pam, I've had my LSF on & off the i2 many times for toting around in the car, and I've never had this problem. I've just followed all the advice given on here. For me it's just a matter of preliminary assembly and initial tightening (rock the LSF left & right / fore & back as you initially tighten the screw), strong-arming it around a bit, re-centering, then final tightening. Make sure all the parts and seating surfaces are clean & dry, and that you're torquing the screw tight enough.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #10
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

That sucks.

You might want to see if you can get a replacement LSF bolt... My old one kept getting loose (from the lock kit, the cheaper bolt seemed to strip easy). The new one, once tightened properly, doesn't appear to move like the other one did...

You do have to give it a good couple torques with the wrench to keep it from getting loose. Make sure the tool fits the head perfectly, or you could end up blistering out the head and make it harder to tighten in the future...

BTW, the Segway Color Kit contains a New LSF bolt, Entire LSF, Brass LSF Clamps, Handlebars, etc. It might help solve your problem, if you are getting it tightened on properly, but it's still not staying put?

SEGsby

Quote:
Pam
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote