SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct View Post
Is that where George Bush went wrong on the Segway or was it just the after effects of the frontal lobotomy?
I think his staff forgot to turn it on for him before the photo op. You can't expect the POTUS to push his own buttons, now, can you?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:27 AM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct View Post
Is that where George Bush went wrong on the Segway or was it just the after effects of the frontal lobotomy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I think his staff forgot to turn it on for him before the photo op. You can't expect the POTUS to push his own buttons, now, can you?

Okay boys, give it a break. He was smart enough to be the most powerful man on the planet for 8 years, elected to the position twice.

He did not know how to use a segway at the time, that is true, but he also used them as official gifts to some of the most powerful people on the planet...

Circles I do not believe your intelligence has gotten you into...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Okay boys, give it a break. He was smart enough to be the most powerful man on the planet for 8 years, elected to the position twice.

He did not know how to use a segway at the time, that is true, but he also used them as official gifts to some of the most powerful people on the planet...

Circles I do not believe your intelligence has gotten you into...
It seems I was making the same point as you -- I bet he had his staff buy and ship all those Segways he gave, too.

It's interesting, however, that you appear to rate political power as the pinnacle of value in one's circles.

As opposed to the Nobel laureats, McArthur Foundation Genius Grant recipients, C-level executives of important and powerful corporations that have redefined our world, and the like.

He may have had the power to drop nuclear weapons wherever he'd like -- but I've had dinner with someone who helped DESIGN AND BUILD the first one.

I think I define power a bit differently than you do. I know more people than I'd care to count whom I think have done more to change the world than G. W. Bush. Especially if you consider positive changes.

But that's a comment on the office, not the man. (You know my opinion of the man, but that's irrelevant to my observation). I think Presidents spend all their energy not horribly screwing up, with little opportunity to actually make anything better.

But those circles of power aren't so remote, either. I know someone who played basketball in school with Obama (or so I'm told). I once met with the person behind Clinton's internet strategy. But I didn't choose to get seriously involved in the effort beyond that first meeting.

I don't think it's about what intelligence will get you into. I think it's about what choices you make, about what you apply your intelligence, your time, and your passions into.

And I think seeking power, for even the best of reasons, is a very narrow and limiting choice.

A friend recently suggested I should run for the CA legislature. Now, whatever you may think of that suggestion, it got me thinking about this stuff.

And since I'm currently unemployed, I'm inherently faced with the choice -- what IS the best use of my time and energies, going forward? Where can I really make a difference? If I could fix ONE problem with my various skills, what should it be?

I don't know (yet) what that choice is. But I do know I'm not much impressed by someone pointing out that I don't hang with Presidents and Prime Ministers. And I'm not sending my resume to this White House, either.

Nor am I running for office. The local school board would be more my style, but I'm not convinced I could do any better there.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.

Last edited by Bob.Kerns; 11-06-2009 at 05:32 AM..