SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
stevepierce
stevepierce is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I2 LED Lights what do they mean

I have an i2 and when plugged in, the back light on the base is red and solid and the front light is green and steady flashing.

What does that mean?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepierce View Post
I have an i2 and when plugged in, the back light on the base is red and solid and the front light is green and steady flashing.

What does that mean?
It means your rear battery is dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default LEDs on the Gen Twos

The two rear lights are for the batteries. Rear is Rear and Front is Front

Any one of them Red, means that battery is bad. rear batteries tend to go bad if the machine is left unplugged.

The five lights ahead of them are the balance indicator lights. When any of them are red, you can not go into balance mode, when the center one is green you can. When you are gliding those lights will be green and gently going on and off in sequance.

I would say on your battery, swap out your batteries front to back. if then the front goes red, that battery is bad. Sounds like a trip to the dealer.

if you have a buddy who has an extra battery, try that.

just remember to always keep the machine plugged in when not in use. Or better yet use the machine, the batteries like to be excersized as much as they like to be plugged in.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink Battery options

Will's advice is accurate.

If it turns out to be a bad battery ( and it sure sounds like that ), there are some options.

Buy a new battery.

Many dealers ( and others ) offer a battery revival service.
Whilst it's not guaranteed to work, many batteries can be revived.
Ask your local delaer if he can revive batteries.
It's usually a very low ( sometimes nil ) cost to see if your battery can be revived, and modest cost if it can be revived.
Most dealers offer some form of warranty.

Cheers
Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
The two rear lights are for the batteries. Rear is Rear and Front is Front
Wait... so there's a rear rear light and a front rear light? I don't understand.

I realize that may have just been a typo, but I'm not being a smartalec - I'm just honestly not sure what he meant, because I don't own, or have access to, a second-gen.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
Wait... so there's a rear rear light and a front rear light? I don't understand.

I realize that may have just been a typo, but I'm not being a smartalec - I'm just honestly not sure what he meant, because I don't own, or have access to, a second-gen.
Lights on gen 2 look like this

Code:
   O
 O O O
   O

O
   O
The ones on the bottom are pretty much identical to the charge lights on a gen1 machine, just more visible. The top cluster of lights tells you if the machine is ready for you to step on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 05-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
Any one of them Red, means that battery is bad.
"Bad", but not necessarily dead or unusable...

My rear battery has been occasionally displaying red after recharge for well over a year. I discovered that if I unplugged and replugged the power cord, I could get it to finish charging and finally display flashing green / maintenance mode. It often takes a few unplug/replug cycles to attain maintenance mode, but it has never failed to do so. Performance and range seem relatively normal, considering it is an early i2.

In this case, it appears to be a problem with cell balancing. Maybe it has a marginal cell in the rear pack, but until it fails to charge successfully and/or displays significantly reduced range, I'll just keep using it as-is.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
brwilcox
brwilcox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question

Now when you have all the balance indicator lights flash red together,what does that mean?? My X2 did that a couple days ago, and has not since.
brwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Gihgehls

5 yr Member

It depends on the state of the segway when you saw the lights, but regardless of what's going on internally, the infokey will have more info. The lights will come on if you try to step on when it isn't level, and the infokey will show a warning sign. Sometimes the lights will come on while you are trying to start the segway, and the infokey will show you an error code. So, RED indicator lights indicates something BAD, and if you need more detailed INFO, then look at the INFOkey.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
jcargal
jcargal is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Owing to the redundancy built into your Segway, there are two batteries. Other posts in this thread have pointed this out well.

However, it has been explained to me that only the rear battery powers the "LAN" of sorts that allows the infokey to work wirelessly on the i2s. Therefore, if left unplugged for a length of time, the unit is constantly "listening" for commands from the wireless infokey. This "listening" does drain the rear battery at a faster rate than the front one, and therefore an overly discharged battery on an i2 will most likely be the rear battery, as you describe.

The i2's onboard charging system will not charge a battery below a pre-set threshold, which is somewhere between 72 and 74 volts. The only way to fix this problem, is to either buy a new battery to replace your newly-created doorstop, or call Dr. Marty (do a search).

I had this exact same problem that you're now experiencing, and almost purchased a used battery at $500 plus shipping from a dealer. I discovered Dr. Marty and he was able to re-charge my unit.

I've been a very happy customer of Dr. Marty, I could not recommend him more highly. Please give him a call.