SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
driley
driley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default War on Terrorism Strategy

United States Lacks the Capability to Counter Insurgency in the Muslim World

A report commissioned by the Pentagon and just released by the Rand Corporation calls into serious question our strategy in dealing with Islamist insurgencies. I think it is an interesting read.

http://www.rand.org/news/press/2008/02/11/

My summary is that we are not going to be able to shoot our way to victory. This is not WWII. Sure the military is heavily needed but they/we are not going to win this war on the strengths of our military alone.
driley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Um . . . yeah . . . they really needed a high priced "think tank" to figure that one out.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
driley

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Um . . . yeah . . . they really needed a high priced "think tank" to figure that one out.
Well, maybe it will help some others figure it out.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by driley View Post
Well, maybe it will help some others figure it out.
I doubt it, this is by far not the first time the government (that is not controlled by the administration), has suggested such a thing! I think many will not change their views no matter what is presented to them! This is a great article and is the same thing I have been saying for years, but will probably have no effect except maybe persuading a smalll percentage of Mccain voters to swing the other way! Thank you though, I suppose when a think tank says it it means more than some 20 year old teen sitting on his bed!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:03 AM   #5
driley

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
I doubt it, this is by far not the first time the government (that is not controlled by the administration), has suggested such a thing! I think many will not change their views no matter what is presented to them! This is a great article and is the same thing I have been saying for years, but will probably have no effect except maybe persuading a smalll percentage of Mccain voters to swing the other way! Thank you though, I suppose when a think tank says it it means more than some 20 year old teen sitting on his bed!

Jeremy Ryan

I was thinking it might have some impact on the portion of the public that still seem to think we are going to win the war in terror the same way we won WWII.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
I was thinking it might have some impact on the portion of the public that still seem to think we are going to win the war in terror the same way we won WWII.
Some maybe, it is a good article, yet some are too set in their ways to see it!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Some maybe, it is a good article, yet some are too set in their ways to see it!

Jeremy Ryan
So very true, but I suspect I may mean that a little bit differently than you!

Quote:
“When it comes to building these and other civil capabilities abroad, the United States is alarmingly weak,” Gompert said. “To fix this problem, the federal government will need a dramatic increase in civilian capabilities, new organizational arrangements, and more flexible personnel policies.”
Yeah, I've noticed the tremendous outpouring of support for larger governmental organizations, and the additional funding (taxes) that would be needed.

Quote:
The authors estimate that the United States would need to add thousands of deployable civilian professionals and billions more in targeted foreign aid to meet counterinsurgency needs. However, such requirements could be halved if U.S. allies and international organizations matched U.S. efforts.
Okay, let's see if we can control the mobs of civilian professionals who are currently lining up to deploy to Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan. What! -- they aren't mobbing the State Department to spend a year-and-a-half or so at a time in these lovely Middle-East havens??

Oh, here's some more billions of dollars needed, too. No problem!! Everyone's gonna support that...

Yep, all those allies and international organizations that have lined up ever since WWII to suck at the US teat and then avoid any potential "unpleasantness" by backing away from any support. They're gonna match the US effort. You betcha!!!

Quote:
The report also finds that U.S. forces are unable to train enough local forces of sufficient quality quickly enough to counter fast-moving Islamist insurgencies. The U.S. Army, Marine Corps and Special Operations Forces must improve their ability to organize, train, equip and advise local military forces. Building police forces should be done by professional police trainers, not military troops.
I don't think so! The U.S. Army, Marine Corps and Special Operations Forces must improve their ability to organize, train, equip, and advise their own forces. And they need the funding to be able to do so.

And these professional police trainers, just where do we acquire them? From those same hordes beating down the doors at State? Or perhaps we should start conscripting them?? And they have the benefit of watching the news to see just where the insurgents are targeting their efforts. Hmmm, another Police Station blown up... let me run right down and volunteer! Yeah, I'm holding my breath for that... NOT!

In case you haven't noticed, the very people with the attitudes needed are the ones that are ALREADY serving this country in our Armed Forces. Could they use some additional help? Of course they could.

Do I see the liberals racing to provide it??? Not a chance in Hell!!!!

Quote:
... it is a good article, yet some are too set in their ways to see it!
I agree!!

Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

A revolution is exactly what is needed to change a form of government. Not all revolutions require military or force, but the reality is that most eventually get there...

I do agree that military alone is never enough. The military is a bulldozer. It is needed to clean out the debris of the old dictatorial regimes, and even to remove the smaller bulldozers on that site. Then the building can begin.

Often times the bulldozer can be used to help with some of the heavy lifting in the early building stages, but it is not the best tool, even if it does help.

At some point, always, it takes locals to take control of their own lives and their country. The fix will never happen without this.

World history if full of people with pitchforks and shovels taking control from those with guns. Go back far enough, and it was pitchforks and shovels against swords and horses. It does not matter. Until and unless this grass roots effort happens, there will not be success.

I see the big difference between the US using it's military and the examples of French in Indochina (Viet Nam and the area) and the USSR in Afganistan, is that the U.S. wants to spread Democracy, and build trading partners, not expansionism. This is our motivation. In the other examples, expansionism was the goal.

I do believe that a free people will always be a more productive and happy people. I am not alone.

And I agree that the concept of throwing money at a problem is no more the solution than throwing an armor division or two at it.

Northern Africa is full of examples of hugh amounts of money and foreign aide that was sent in to head off a revolution, or to bolster local governments. It has failed just as much as any military examples given. And there are some very rich despots as a result.

The solution is always local people wanting to make a better life for themselves. Short of that, there is nothing that can be done for any long term success. If a local group has an idea, and is willing to do the deed, but needs some help, that is where and when we should get involved. Otherwise the best you can hope to accomplish is to trade one mess for another.

I am reminded of the simple fact that you cannot get anything clean, without making something else dirty. I don't care if you are washing your car, or the floor, or overthrowing some dictator.

You can, however, make things dirty, without actually making something else clean. This is just making a mess, or moving from this kind of mess to another kind of mess.

I believe that the best of intentions were involved in Iraq and Afganistan, but because of insufficient local buy-in, the road has been much more difficult than anticipated. There is local activity, just not enough to make it work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Well, that is the basic issue. We're not at war with a military but rather "terrorists". There's no way to round them all up. There is no central "bunker" where the leader is holed up. We can't simply capture that and end the war. They simply go into hiding and can out last our willingness to occupy their country.

Further, it's not just one country.

There is no actual way to "win". Any semi-decent game theorist would have told them the exact same thing years ago and in fact, many did.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Yep, quade, you've called it. However, it does give the government and the military/industrial complex an excuse to spend our money and remove our freedoms, in the name of "fighting terror." Nothing like throwing out a boogyman out there to get everyone up in arms. <sigh>

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote