SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I believe that the airline or rather the FAA has a slightly better system. You can get a pilot's liscense. Then, with cockpit hours and training, and a signoff by an instructor that says you can do it, and passing a test, you get a better liscense, with more sophisticated ratings for complex planes and multi engines... More time and more tests, and you get commercial liscense. More time and more tests, and you get instructor ratings, etc...
Essentially the concept of flight certification revolves around how many people you're likely to kill when you make a tragic mistake.
(Humor too dark for the room?)

Higher levels of certification allow you greater access to a wider range of aircraft and conditions.

What would Segway licensing accomplish? Rentals at non-local establishments? Certainly nothing "legal" as they're already classified by at least one state as being the equivalent of a pedestrian (under most circumstances).

Now, a sporting license for Polo might make sense, but that would require an organizing and sanctioning body that doesn't seem to currently exist. I'm sure Polo (Steve), will correct me soon if I'm wrong about that.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Essentially the concept of flight certification revolves around how many people you're likely to kill when you make a tragic mistake.
(Humor too dark for the room?)

Higher levels of certification allow you greater access to a wider range of aircraft and conditions.

What would Segway licensing accomplish? Rentals at non-local establishments? Certainly nothing "legal" as they're already classified by at least one state as being the equivalent of a pedestrian (under most circumstances).

Now, a sporting license for Polo might make sense, but that would require an organizing and sanctioning body that doesn't seem to currently exist. I'm sure Polo (Steve), will correct me soon if I'm wrong about that.
Re the flying, the most important part is that you have to complete, and log, a certain number of hours per year to keep the license. Failure to complete the required hours means re training, and huge expense.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
Re the flying, the most important part is that you have to complete, and log, a certain number of hours per year to keep the license. Failure to complete the required hours means re training, and huge expense.
Not exactly.

The certificates are good indefinitely. Once you're a certified private, commercial or ATP pilot, it's yours until you die or it's taken away by the FAA, whichever occurs first. In order to exercise the rights of a certificated pilot at whatever level, you must meet certain other requirements; bi-annual flight review, medical certification, flight currency, ect.

The only certificate that actually expires is Certified Flight Instructor. It has an expiration date that must be included on student log book signatures, bi-annual flight reviews, student solo sign-offs, ect.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Gentlemen,

We are talking about two different countries. I am sure there are similar flight rules, as the planes are essentially the same, but that does not mean the administrative rules are the same.

I am familiar with the rules from the FAA, which is an American entity. I am not as familiar with rules from England. They very well may be different. I do not know.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
quade

5 yr Member

Karl --

Fine with me . . . let's get back to figuring out why anyone would actually want or need a Segway license and what rights and privileges that might provide.

Personally, I can't figure it out at all with the exception of the previously stated "sporting" license that might show you've gone through some sort of training camp and are therefore educated enough to play the game of Segway polo safely.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #16
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

And here I though Polo was giving away rep points to anyone who replied to the thread, darn.
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #17
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Karl --

Fine with me . . . let's get back to figuring out why anyone would actually want or need a Segway license and what rights and privileges that might provide.

Personally, I can't figure it out at all with the exception of the previously stated "sporting" license that might show you've gone through some sort of training camp and are therefore educated enough to play the game of Segway polo safely.

I pretty much agree. There is not too much value in the sense of a cash value item, but that does not mean much, these days...

My kids visited Lego-land and each (3 and 7 at the time) got a driver's license and loved them. They got to drive a go cart around a track, and got a picture id card/license. Of course, I had to spring for the custom wallets as well. It is just one more piece of memoribilia for them... Much as a segway license would be.

I can see some potential value with regard to renting a segway in a far away city, but then you have to wonder who the issuing authority would be, and who would examine the database system to assure no fraud?

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:55 AM   #18
quade

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I can see some potential value with regard to renting a segway in a far away city, but then you have to wonder who the issuing authority would be, and who would examine the database system to assure no fraud?
Not to mention the liability issues for the governing body, instructor and examiner.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
LycanFire
LycanFire is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

My wife named my X2 the Galactic Glider, so I went ahead and got my license for it.

So I guess I am ahead of the game already...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlienDL-b.jpg (87.7 KB, 14 views)
LycanFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

So what level do I need to be to take my epic mount to Disneyland?
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote