SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
JRjr
JRjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
(withouth offence)!

Wow! I'm not sure how one CANNOT but be offended...

JRjr
Old 07-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member
Thumbs down Back off a bit!!

If you take just a moment to look, Carlo is an Italian resident, who in his signature notes that his English is less than perfect.

I've lived here all my life, and won't swear that I always get all the nuances and connotations inherent in a particular phrasing, particularly if it is from another area of the country.

I GUARANTEE that I would have a lot of trouble with doing nearly as well with Italian as Carlo is doing with his English.

So I'll suggest that perhaps it isn't Carlo that is the "narrow-minded" one.

I'll suggest you take your own advice:

Quote:
In the future, do us all a favor and save your less-than-eloquent language for other places.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
JRjr

5 yr Member
Angry native or not...!

Yes his English isn't native, but since when do good manners and some sensitivity depend on one's native tongue? He think he knew exactly what he was saying, native or not. Unless you've been a life-long recipient of this sort of "humor," I suggest you direct your blame where it rightly falls. If you don't agree, then fine, but don't accuse me of being "narrow-minded."

JRjr

Last edited by JRjr; 07-02-2008 at 12:43 PM..
Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
Carlo
Carlo is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have written "Without offence" because I'm not against gay people, because in Italy the gay guys are very neglected and because I want not seem a racist.

Anyway I wish you a nice day.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sorry for my English, I'm Italian
Ciao!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
Carlo
Carlo is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Flags View Post
If you take just a moment to look, Carlo is an Italian resident, who in his signature notes that his English is less than perfect.

I've lived here all my life, and won't swear that I always get all the nuances and connotations inherent in a particular phrasing, particularly if it is from another area of the country.

I GUARANTEE that I would have a lot of trouble with doing nearly as well with Italian as Carlo is doing with his English.

So I'll suggest that perhaps it isn't Carlo that is the "narrow-minded" one.

I'll suggest you take your own advice:
Thanks .
You're right!
) (
)
Sorry for my English, I'm Italian
Ciao!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRjr View Post
I suggest you direct your blame where it rightly falls.
JRjr
I believe I did.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
JRjr

5 yr Member

Quote:
I have written "Without offence" because I'm not against gay people, because in Italy the gay guys are very neglected and because I want not seem a racist.

Anyway I wish you a nice day.
Carlo, I'm glad you answered and I believe what you say... just be aware that some of us are sensitive about this issu. From one posting here we might not always understand where you might be coming from. We hear a lot of negative stuff thrown at us, and we're just plain tired of it. But as I say, I can accept your word that you are neither prejudiced nor a racist.

JRjr
Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #18
JRjr

5 yr Member

Quote:
I believe I did.
Yes I believe you have... it just seemed backward is all.

JRjr
Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #19
Moebius

Thumbs down Yeah, right.

Quote:
Nuances of a particular phrasing? How are people supposed to interpret someone saying that he would feel "gay" if he put Hello Kitty stickers on his Segway?

His response indicates to me that he is fully aware of what the word "gay" means in English and he used that word just like every other biggot does to describe something someone is scared of or uncomfortable with.

Quit being so PC and look at what he said for what it is, not what you hope it is.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #20
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Hahaha, we are already 2 Seg posessors in my little city, if I also stick 2 Hello Kitty stickers on its side I would seem a gay (withouth offence)!
Your command of English is far better than my command of Italian.

Other words you could have used legitimately without offense include; childish, juvenile, silly, strange, bizarre, foolish, mockable, not macho . . .

All of the above said, remember first and foremost you're talking about a decoration on a SEGWAY. Chances are, all of those words already apply anyway.