SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #21
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholloway View Post
All of my gliding is just for pleasure so I am never in a hurry. If I were a daily commuter and running late for work I could easily see another mindset sliding in and becoming far more aggressive in regular situations. Luckily for me, if we want to ride aggressively we can find a big wide open spot or a nasty hill and see what happens. So for me, I usually take the route that is most Segway friendly (meaning route around obstacles, etc, not going 3 blocks over because of some known issue). I am usually gliding in an area that I do not know well or certainly haven't memorized the sidewalk issues.
I always get pleasure when gliding, but also utilise it as a functional piece of kit. I rarely go out just for fun on the seg. Those days are gone, or at least confined to fests. I go out because I'm going somewhere or need to do something - the Segway just makes it all of the more pleasurable.

I only know the areas where I live and make regular journey's. It's a good thing and a bad thing. I know where all the bumps are (good) and all the blind bends. I know where the moss grows and the slippery leaves or low hanging branches are, where the well lit areas are etc. But I guess that could make me complacent - or even keep me of my toes because I'm not reacting as much. As such, when gliding in more unfamiliar areas, I change my approach.

My main regular trip is to the gym - and I can honestly say I've never been late for that - but I'm no slouch. I'll get there as quick as I can. Never agressively though, always defensively.

I wish I had more time to glide just for fun. You're lucky Scott.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #22
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I'm the king of "do as I say, not do as I do," when it comes to many things (as are we all), but maybe acting like pedestrians (ie. not speeding, etc) when we're in a truly urban pedestrian environment has it's benefits.
That line is not for me. If the environment permits a faster pace, I'll gladly take it. So if it's really busy, I'll be just like a pedestrian. Perhaps accelerating slighltly where possible and safe to do so. If it's quieter, I'll go faster. You can have a really urban environment, like a city centre, that is busy at rush hour and dead early morning or late in the evening. My speed will match the situation that presents itself.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #23
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

The automatic slowing of a segway when hitting an obstacle is something I see a lot around here and I really don't buy it. I think the chances of hitting someone/something squre are much slimmer than the chances of hitting something off angle, and in that case the machine isn't going to slow itself down. In fact, it will apply MORE power to try to climb the obstacle. A child playing on the sidewalk is one such obstacle. I think that the chances of hitting something head-on are even slimmer on a gen2 segway, since the handlebars sway from left to right. It is very nice that someone can hold their ground and stop a slow moving segway, but it doesn't do much for high speed collisions in out-of-control situations.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #24
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I think it helps not to leave your SegPlow attached! Unless, of course, it scoops up people and moves them to one side!

Last edited by gbrandwood; 02-05-2008 at 12:53 PM..
gbrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #25
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
The automatic slowing of a segway when hitting an obstacle is something I see a lot around here and I really don't buy it. I think the chances of hitting someone/something squre are much slimmer than the chances of hitting something off angle, and in that case the machine isn't going to slow itself down. In fact, it will apply MORE power to try to climb the obstacle. A child playing on the sidewalk is one such obstacle. I think that the chances of hitting something head-on are even slimmer on a gen2 segway, since the handlebars sway from left to right. It is very nice that someone can hold their ground and stop a slow moving segway, but it doesn't do much for high speed collisions in out-of-control situations.
Hellphish, it doesn't need to be square on to have an effect - any point of contact - either of the LSF or a person coming into contact with an object, providing it is tall enough, will naturally push the frame backwards. And to this end, I'm guessing the i2 might, in some circumstances, be more capable than a Gen1. If you are leaning, and contact on the lean, the object will still force the LSF backwards. On a Gen 1, the lean might just cause you to contact the object, and you may absorb some of the force, preventing the control shaft from leaning backwards. Of course, this is all degrees of badness. You've hit something so it's not good anyway. If the lean back design of the seg can help a little though, it's got to be a good thing rather than a bad one.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #26
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

If you are turning then you can clip something on your outside wheel. That is what I mean by "not square." Take a look at the vid below and tell me that a child couldn't be substituted for the wall, drunken stupidity aside. The events leading up to the crash, stupidity in this case, could have easily happened by accident out on the sidewalk. All I am saying is that not all crashes are equal and the chances of running right into something are slim.

hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #27
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Yer - if your wheel hits like that - you're going down - even the centre console cover ejects for safety on that one! I wonder what would have happened if he'd leaned to the left though? Not such a "happy ending" methinks...
Old 02-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #28
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayDan View Post
One is the fact that in the event of a head-on collision between Segway and foot-pedestrian that the impact would most likely be lessened by the Segway being naturally slowed by the resulting lean back.
Rubbish.

See Newton 1, 2 and 3.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #29
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quade, are you referring to a series of films or something? Like Rocky, 1, 2 and 3? Actually, I know what you are referring to but you've got a nice way with words. "Rubbish."? That's just great... you disagree, you believe you have science in your corner. Pity you don't have tact there as well.

And personally, I believe Newton 2 and 3 are weak in comparison to Newton 1. He never should have made a sequel.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #30
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
That's just great... you disagree, you believe you have science in your corner.
I don't "believe" I have science in my corner. I know that Newton's laws apply.

Quote:
Pity you don't have tact there as well.
No. It's called brevity. There's simply no reason to make a longer post about something as simple as that.