SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Eric Payne

Guns don't kill people.
People with guns kill people.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
Guns don't kill people.
People with guns kill people.

I recall a great conversation on a 70's television show between 'Archie Bunker' and his daughter 'Gloria' in which she was complaining about the 70,000 people who had been killed by handguns... She used this as an argument for gun control...

Archie's response was that people killed the other people, not the guns. He asked her the perfect gun control question... Would she feel better if those 70,000 people had been killed by having been pushed out the window? (A very New York kind of joke)

I like his reasoning, and still quote that question...

My post was more about deadly force than gun control. I agree with the 2nd Admendment, and do not think there is a reason to overly restrict gun ownership. This all ties back to my many points on responsibility. Having been trained by the Army to be an effective killer of other people, with guns and other things, I do not believe it is the tool that needs to be regulated, but the behaviour.

This also feeds the argument where someone does something stupid with a segway, and a municipality bans segways. Just like banning guns when someone shoots a person, it is not the tool, it is the behaviour...

Gary Larson (Far Side) had a drawing that I also liked ....

The drawing was of a few small flying saucers all flying near each other... One had a bumpersticker that read,

Rayguns don't kill Antideluvians, Antideluvians kill Antideluvians

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I prefer just to shoot my mouth off, if I'm going to shoot anything at all. I should also mention that I have a large ratcheting socket handle with the deep socket required to remove gen 1 wheels, and I keep it in my bag at all times, for upkeep of course! (my valve stems are on the back.) I would never ever think of swinging it against an attacker's more fragile bits, no sir.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I dunno. I spent time in the army, and know what guns are for. I suspect that most of those we are talking about are just petty criminals, and jerks. I am not so sure that requires a death sentence.

I have not found the need to carry weopons while gliding. Of course, I do spend lots of time in the burbs.
I agree with you, segs are not worth dying for, and I can't think of very many things that *do* require a death sentence, but having been mugged twice (very nearly three times) I have learned the value of a deterrant. I carry my knife pretty much everywhere tho, not just when gliding. But that's because our nature trail has rattlesnakes, and I love to open the occasional coconut.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 01-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Reading through this thread again I just count my lucky stars we don't have a serious gun problem here in the UK. Sure there are problems, especially with knives, but I have never felt the need to go out "armed" to protect myself. I'm a big guy, ex weight lifter etc and have always relyed on that. Having said that, I do carry an old "Crooklock" down the side of my car seat for when I have to go into some of the less desirable areas of London. Just carrying a knife here in the UK could possibly result in prosecution, if you were very unlucky.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #16
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

I guess a "Crooklock" is what we call "The Club" is that correct?

http://www.winner-intl.com/automotive/default.htm

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
I guess a "Crooklock" is what we call "The Club" is that correct?

http://www.winner-intl.com/automotive/default.htm
Spot on. Sorry, forgot rule number one on SC, two great nations divided by a common language

I find it a little more, erm shall we say, intimidating than a baseball bat. Plus if I get pulled over by the Police, they could be pretty sure I'm not about to play baseball here in Blighty! Having said that, I have had to get out of my car about 5 or 6 times to explain to people that they could, just, be in the wrong. Nobody ever answered back yet, I'm an ugly SOB. Mind you, as I get older I'm less inclined to get into arguements.

Southern Segway

Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
Just carrying a knife here in the UK could possibly result in prosecution, if you were very unlucky.
here too; in order to carry my knife a FL resident must take safety classes and obtain a concealed weapons permit. And if you were to pull it out and wave it at some poor guy just because he happened to be stupid or tick you off, you are breaking the law and commiting "rude display" which can absolutely land you in the pokey. They only time using such a tool as a weapon is to defend yourself or someone elses' life that you feel is being threatened. Period. Can't go stabbing somebody for stealing your seg even, you just have to call the cops.

Anyway, by "crooklock" are you referring to the metal bar that locks a steering wheel?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 01-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #19
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
here too; in order to carry my knife a FL resident must take safety classes and obtain a concealed weapons permit. And if you were to pull it out and wave it at some poor guy just because he happened to be stupid or tick you off, you are breaking the law and commiting "rude display" which can absolutely land you in the pokey. They only time using such a tool as a weapon is to defend yourself or someone elses' life that you feel is being threatened. Period. Can't go stabbing somebody for stealing your seg even, you just have to call the cops.

Anyway, by "crooklock" are you referring to the metal bar that locks a steering wheel?
We don't have the luxury of "self defence" here. A few years back a farmer got so fed up with his house being burgled, the next time it happened he shot the guys with a shotgun. Long story short, he went to jail, and one of the "victims" sued him!!!!!!! Honestly, it's b****y mad here sometimes.
If I waved a knife at anyone, under any circumstances I'm sure I'd be in the wrong. 6' 3" and 250lbs, works for me

Southern Segway

Old 01-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #20
SegWayne
SegWayne will become famous soon enoughSegWayne will become famous soon enough

Location: On Grandparent tour, currently spoiling Grandchild in Texas
5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
...he shot the guys with a shotgun. Long story short, he went to jail, and one of the "victims" sued him......
One of the few things I enjoy about moving from Hawaii(most restrictive gun laws) to Texas (least restrictive gun laws) is the absolute right to protect life and property with any force deemed necessary!

Several times a month the news reports on some home evasion where the homeowner has left the culprit lying on the premises in a pool of blood. The authorities come and collect the perpetrator, make sure the homeowner is ok, and carry-on. Period.

In Hawaii they haul off the homeowner and sooth the perpetrator.

I absolutely believe that only People kill People.

A gun just happens to be my weapon of choice, but I have nothing against anyone else's weapon choice, and totally support their decision to use it to procect life and property.
Closed Thread