SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I liked the video. Gimme more!

SEGsby
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post

That said, I hardly think that's a reason to think he actually "supports" Segways. I think he simply finds them "useful".
Actually, using them, and giving them as gifts showing off the technical capacities of the United States is pretty supportive. Far more supportive than I have seen from ANY other politician on the federal level.

It might also be worth noting that Dick Cheney also has a seg and uses it regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
GW Bush appears to be pro-segway, in that he is known to ride them often and has also given them as gifts to other world leaders (Japan).

As for making a federal law that allows Segways in all US States and territories, this has not been done, despite his and his family's involvement with the device. In fact, Kamen talks about training his parents, who loved the experience, but were the one's who trained their son...

HE fell off a machine that was not in balance mode, and now software puts a machine into balance mode when you step on to preclude that from ever happening again. He also stumbled, but stayed on his feet, and I do not believe he ever lost the tennis racket in his hand.

I have seen photos in Kamen's house of him in the oval office with several presidents, and I do not recall if Bush was one, but most of the photos I remember were about the iBot (wheelchair) not the seg...

We've all seen the footage of GW falling over a shutdown Segway. But the media does not cover the fact that he continues to ride and does so, successfully.

Other than his recreational Segway use, I have nothing in common with Mr. Bush, and most if not all of his polices & political agendas.

I would like to vote for someone who is not going to use the concept of terrorism as an excuse to break the laws of this country, treat our veterans poorly & deny them services or benefits, attack another country for their energy resources, allow breaking the Geneva Conventions during Interrogation, or to approve & fund immoral tools of automated warfare; like high energy lasers installed on 747 Flying Fortresses. Have no illusions; these machines are designed to target and cook people instantly at long range.

I like this list, but don't understand the placement. Considering the hostility toward the President, if he broke laws of this country, he would have been brought up on charges long ago. The problem with many afflicted with BDS is that facts confuse the issue.

I am a veteran, and I have been treated well. I don't think the beaurocracy of the VA is perfect, as it is not, but I believe it is disengenous to say it is a policy of this administration to treat veterans poorly and deny them services and benefits.

To my knowledge, we have not invaded any countries for energy resourses, and to the dismay of many of us, he is instead doing it with my tax dollars instead of passing on the expense to the residents of the country that was involved...

The Geneva Convention specifically covers countries who have pledged to respect it, and only covers uniformed combatants in Armys in the service of their countries. It does not cover those who would cut the throats of unarmed flight attendentants, kill thousands of unwarned civilians, or have teenagers blow themselves up in pizza parlors or malls.

I am completely unaware of laser armed 747s. I had thought that was a civilian airliner that was not currently under construction, but as I said, I do not know of any of the details of this futurisitc civilian killing machine.

"It is good that war is so terrible, lest we grow fond of it." -- Robert E. Lee

Making war easy, works against the long term survival of our species as a whole.

So yeah, probably not voting Republican.

SEGsby

I am not a big fan of George W. Bush, but I completely agree with SEGsby on this one, if he had done any of the things mentioned above, that would have been bad. Luckily, he has not.

It's too bad he started this war under the guise of National Security instead of the tried and true old reasons, like sending troops into Bosnia to change the headlines away from sexual indescressions in the Oval office, the Dot Com Bust, or what the meaning of 'is' is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 AM   #13
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
It's too bad he started this war under the guise of National Security...
Karl, on this we agree.

-Sal
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:59 AM   #14
ryanj0
ryanj0 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Talking

Also too bad he claims to want to stop torture in prisons while with the same hand writes a letter signed to all troops saying that they have permission to torture in whatever means they wish if for interrogation. Also bad no one really seems to care about Bin Laden the one person who DID attack our country and IS a threat to security. Trust me my dad fought in the war in Iraq for a year and a half. In an average week he would get 10 hours of sleep the whole week! Half the troops in the unit got body armor bought by their spouses for Christmas! People say the news makes the war look worse than it is but from what I hear from a republican who fought (my dad) the news glorifies it. It's a shame because the rest of these soldiers lives there are also major psychological aspects. To me he's no more than a mass murderer, but I have always openly been democratic! I certainly don't agree with the war of GWB and believe that the Segway stunts of this administration are probably just to cover up old age and disguise stupidity with humor.

Jeremy Ryan
ryanj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:03 AM   #15
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj0 View Post
. . . are probably just to cover up old age and disguise stupidity with humor.
Since you're probably the youngest regular poster right now, how do you feel about the blatant attempt by Huckabee to appeal to the "teenagers that like Chuck Norris jokes" segment of the population?

If you don't know what I'm talking about;

Seems a little silly to me considering the seriousness of the office he's running for.

No, this is not a parody or SNL skit, it is a REAL TV AD running in Iowa.

Last edited by quade; 12-23-2007 at 02:11 AM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:09 AM   #16
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I too know people who have served. Just like segway forum members, there is a large diversity of opinion.

There is also a lot of soldiers who re-enlist. I read it was a higher percentage than for many years. If moral was low, accross the board, I would have thought that re-inlistments would also be low.

The policy debate going on in the press or on silly message boards pales when compared to the image of 4 men hanging from a bridge in Iraq, or the carnage in Downtown Manhattan.

Again, I recognise that there are many opinions here, and all have a place. I know that I do not know all the facts on this topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 AM   #17
ryanj0

5 yr Member
Talking

I think it's completely foolish. I think many republicans find this election as a joke and don't actually take it seriously. What many people don't understand is this election could determine the future of our country. We are very near losing everything we have as a country and when you consider debt are worse off than Africa as a continent. It will take us ages to recover but if we choose the wrong person this time around we may never recover as a country. This election is very serious we are in a deep hole and many people my age think this does not effect them. Right now it may not have a direct effect on your every day life however it will in the future. I see this election as very serious and am glad another republican humiliated himself making us democrats look even better!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 12-23-2007, 02:17 AM   #18
ryanj0

5 yr Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I too know people who have served. Just like segway forum members, there is a large diversity of opinion.

There is also a lot of soldiers who re-enlist. I read it was a higher percentage than for many years. If moral was low, accross the board, I would have thought that re-inlistments would also be low.

The policy debate going on in the press or on silly message boards pales when compared to the image of 4 men hanging from a bridge in Iraq, or the carnage in Downtown Manhattan.

Again, I recognise that there are many opinions here, and all have a place. I know that I do not know all the facts on this topic.
You have a very good point with re-enlistment. The truth is that in some circumstances and many at that troops are FORCED to re-enlist. In others it is voluntary. Also just like the terror threat levels the re-enlistment levels are told to us by the government which right now I doubt the credibility. The answer to your comment on morals is that many soldiers are not exposed in the prison setting or exposed to the ethically wrong documents out there. I don't claim to know everything either but I do know this Bush signed a letter that is shown to many of those guarding prisons stating that torture is suggested for interrogation. I do know that you can't trust the government. I also know you are very open minded Karl and will certainly consider all points of view. The facts are clear so for the democrats we need open minded people in this election because we need to win by enough that faulty machinery and cheating cannot deem republicans victorious.

Jeremy Ryan
Old 12-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #19
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj0 View Post
I think many republicans find this election as a joke and don't actually take it seriously.
Well, I'm a pretty well dyed in the wool Democrat, but I think you're possibly going a little far when you say "many republicans" feel that way.

I think there are some fringe Republican candidates out there getting some press; Paul, Huckabee, et al., but I do think most Republicans do take it very seriously, even the ones I just mentioned (even if in the case of Ron Paul he's a certifiable loon).

Quote:
What many people don't understand is this election could determine the future of our country.
Actually, people such as Huckabee are hoping with all their might that they can change the future of this country. The issue is, I don't think he in particular has read the U.S. Constitution very carefully; in particular the First Amendment.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #20
KSagal

Every election is important. Jimmy Carter's election was not good for the country in many ways. Some are too young to remember. Ronald Reagan's election was very good for the country, but not accepted in the press for several years.

Most will eventually find that a real leader takes a path that needs time. Much of the policies that a President puts into place take several years after they are out of office to see the affect.

I am reminded of an old political saying...

If you are not a liberal when you are 20, you have no heart.
If you are not a conservative when you are 40, you have no brain.