SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 06-04-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member
Default jack & andrew strike again...

andrew strikes again...i was morbidly fascinated with the topic of rentals since my city enacated a park ban citing concern of rentals, so seeing one rental process filmed and the results through "andrew the segway monster" from canada who rented from jack (http://www.fhtsc.com) has been, well....i don't how to describe it, here's a link to andrew's 30mb video on his site:

*i had a link here, then i decided not to post the link, then the site died, so it doesn't matter, if that changes someone will post up a new link i'm sure.

what i saw:
-this is at a beach and a public park, this park has stated no segways were allowed.
-these fellows were in fact trying to make the ht fall over, a couple kinda violent looking too. yikes, the video (they manage to in front a man playing the violin on a bench on a trail). is this not "testing the limits in training" it's in the park being unsafe and showing off for camera.
-no hands one foot attempts right next to a jogger, almost falls.
-the roll all over, right past a "pedestrian only sign" a little mocking there.
-using the ht fast next to people.
-the camera man was on a ht the entire time as well, so that means one hand.
-looks like a kickstand broke.
-segways are not allowed to be used anywhere legally in canada yet, no matter what jack says is "light grey" sorry.
-in general, very unsafe riders. all these folks at the park exposed to these folks who rented the hts, what do you think they think about the ht?

this is the *2nd time* they rented, first time no safety video- and at another park, jack met them there with his van as per andrew.

this is why my city freaked and banned segways from the parks, to avoid something like this, right or wrong that's what happened.

i've done the best i could with this and posted as i went along- in the last week jack did update his site, has new processes and i'm really sure he's being a bit safer after seeing this over and over for the last week, if you're in canada, act locally-- talk to jack.

cheers,
pt

pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:45 PM   #2
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

btw, you can reach jack here, i've mailed him again:

Jack Cook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Segway Rentals
Future Human Transport Solutions Company Inc
1701 Fir Street, Vancouver, BC, V6J-5J9
Ph: 604-734-9280
eMail: [email protected]
www.SegwayBC.com

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:01 PM   #3
philphil
philphil

5 yr Member

Where's Andrew's site?

-Phil
http://philphil.tk
Segway LiveJournal Community
philphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
hubbahbubbah
hubbahbubbah

5 yr Member

The video pt is talking about can be downloaded here:

http://www.mellenger.com/weblog/

Hubbah

p.s. the site seems to be swamped at the moment

::: http://stinkyshorts.blogspot.com :::
hubbahbubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 12:49 AM   #5
dhugger
dhugger is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I haven't been able to download the vid... and I've been trying for nearly 3 hours now... anyone posted the video on their website? Or is there any other link?

-Derek Hugger-
dhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:47 AM   #6
hubbahbubbah
hubbahbubbah

5 yr Member

The video seems to be available again and I finally watched it.

I urge everyone to watch it for themselves. In my opinion, it is not nearly as bad as pt says... Yes, there are several instances of poor judgement, but mostly it's a bunch of kids that are... yes, testing the limits of their Segways (and sometimes finding them.)
the music accompanying the video is a bit menacing, that i'll grant.

Hubbah

p.s. I'm sure it's also not a good representation of what actually happened, as likely the most 'harrowing' moments were chosen for inclusion in the video.

::: http://stinkyshorts.blogspot.com :::
hubbahbubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 08:47 AM   #7
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I guess I'm confused. Why is Andrew trying to make it all look so bad? I thought he was concerned because Jack was mad about the first video. Why would he put another video up with MORE of the same stuff? Or am I missing something here?
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:25 AM   #8
AtlSeg
AtlSeg

5 yr Member

Hmmmm... I think I have to agree with Hubbah here. I don't think it looked nearly as bad as PT's description. But it was some guys showing off (apparently) for the camera. Not too bright. But then, we have other SC members who glide "no hands" and I seem to recall a newspaper article posted here with someone posing (I think) "no hands" and balancing on one foot. Granted, not in motion (I think), but still sends a message.

In this instance, I think the responsible thing would be for Jack not to rent to these guys again.

Dick (Richard) in Atlanta
AtlSeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #9
statmed
statmed is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I think the video showed how durable our Segways are. If they can take that abuse, ours should last a long, long time.!

H.M. Stern
[email protected]

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together (Hannibal Smith)
statmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 01:00 PM   #10
dhugger
dhugger is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Well, I finally watched it... and I'm disgusted. PT is right. Those are the kind of people that will get the HT banned. I'm just glad nobody was hurt with some of the things they were doing. And Jack didn't exactly limit them to the black key either

-Derek Hugger-
dhugger is offline   Reply With Quote