SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:52 PM   #1
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member
Default i rented a segway ht...

folks-

i rented a segway ht today at a place in seattle (paid full price) i'm going to write all this up later in a proper way, but here's the quick version.

the couple who runs the place are very nice people who are very concerned with safety. i do think they have the best intentions. while i was there i saw 8 people in 2 hours rent hts, they all loved them.

now the bad news.

-the park department in seattle hired someone to guard the park from segways, they've also extended the ban. according to the parks department, the hts are banned from sidewalks as well. this might not be possible, but it is on the handout they're now giving to people. $500 fine, criminal and civil charges if you go -near- the park, even the sidewalk near it is off limits. the park official said they had no problems with a few owners here and there (i asked)-- but the rentals spooked everyone, so they enacted a ban.

-training, the training is as good as possible i feel. the training is a video, you sign a contract, you then spend as long as needed before you're let loose in the busy seattle area called greenlake. the training are is outside the store, on the sidewalk, so it's a bit too uneven and it's not level (5 to 10% grade). so while all the rental folks did okay, it was hard for them. you can't show a safety shutdown like we all experienced in segway training, they also don't go over all the things owners have learned about being around people, etc...

-you're only allowed on the black key, 2nd glide you get the yellow (and / or 5 hours of gliding).

-i feel this area (greenlake) is way too busy for a segway ht. the sidewalks are too small, too many people in a small area for multiple hts. i'm sad to say, the city is likely to restrict that area and then these folks are out of biz.

-they didn't work with the parks department before, but plan to now. the parks department told me old more restrictions are coming.

-rentals do not actually help sales. when people were done, they wanted to buy one, the rental place does not sell hts, when they were told they need to order online in some way, interested parties said "naa". i later chatted with them and they said they'd only buy one on the spot.

i told the rental place all my concerns, told them about the vancouver rental place, told them that they have the power to get us all banned. they welcomed all input. they're great folks, they're going to cause issues for us owners.

my prediction: an even larger ban can and will happen in the next 30 to 60 days because of the rental biz in my area as well as other areas. i can't stop rentals, it's their right, i can only try my best to talk to folks, that's what i did. i do feel i did as much as a human could without causing anyone any problems.

i am a segway owner for 6 months, 850+ miles, i've also rented a segway ht. these are my opinions and predictions. for you folks who have comments, please keep in mind that i actually own a segway, work with the city on segway issues when i can and i rented a segway from a rental place. i did all i could to make a fair assessment.

please don't tell me how rentals will help sales or how they won't cause problems in my area, all the facts are in.

i think rental places can do well for all of us, they need to work with segway, work on selling the hts, have a proper place and location and most of all, work with the city. the city can and will shut us all down.

there is a good chance, i might need to buy a car soon, i'm not happy about that.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:07 PM   #2
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Great report, PT, thank you.

Brooster
Brooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:35 PM   #3
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

If it's true that the bike trails are now off-limits to HTs as well, as PT just emailed me, that's really sad. I just got back from a 50 mile bike ride, including part of the Burke-Gilman and Sammamish River Trails, and I didn't see any new signs, so I can plead ignorance for a while, and I have a copy of the EPAMD bill in my bag. Talk about an over-reaction! If I'm banned from the trail, there's no alternative route to work.

I'll email state representative Laura Ruderman again. She was in on the legislation permitting HTs on bike trails, and I believe will do what she can to help.

BTW - The latest Cascade Courier - the publication of the nation's largest bike club - came out today with an article I wrote on the HT. I wanted to make sure that trail users knew that they're legal, safe, and nothing to be concerned about. Good timing, huh ;-(

Guess I'd better go for a glide while I still can...

Practicing Safe Segs in Seattle
terryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:54 PM   #4
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

terry-

i don't think you as an owner using the ht will have any problems, i think this is for the park only (even know it says more). carry that law with you, if you get nabbed you'll need it. let me know if i can help in any way, i'm also contacting some folks as well.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:
Old 05-31-2003, 10:04 PM   #5
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

That wasn't how I read your email. I already emailed Laura, telling her that it appeared that the Burke-Gilman was about to be posted off-limits too. Well, we'll see what she finds out. I'll post anything I hear, and I'm sure you'll do the same.

I'll watch Bookofseg for a story on your GreenLake glide; I'm sure you shot some video.

While I still can, I'm

Practicing Safe Segs in Seattle
terryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 10:08 PM   #6
pt
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

terry-

the sign that the parks department is giving the renters who try to use the park is clear -no hts on the alki / burke-gilman trails. i'm going to scan it in.

that said, i still think you will be okay based on the fact you're not opening a rental place and putting 10 hts on the trail. the city had someone "guarding" the park today from that.

that said, it's all up in the air.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:
Old 05-31-2003, 11:32 PM   #7
Balance
Balance

5 yr Member

Terry, I will be very interested in any news you get back from representative Ruderman. I live next to the Sammammish River Trail and occassionally use the trail (during the day and never at nights and weekends when it is really busy on the trail). If I need to get from downtown Redmond to the Overlake area, I find the bike trail along the 520 highway the best way to make the trip. I can live with the river trail being off limits but if bike trails such as the 520 bike trail become off limits, I will probably just sell my Segway since it won't be a feasible method of commuting.
Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:41 AM   #8
vpv
vpv

5 yr Member

"my prediction: an even larger ban can and will happen in the next 30 to 60 days because of the rental biz in my area as well as other areas." These are so absurd! Classic example of over-reaction from the complainers.. but then again.. we'll see in 30 to 60 days..
vpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:09 AM   #9
PoloAk
PoloAk

5 yr Member

Well, on the positive side, one of the news reporters from Anchorage did a story on the company (Glide) and produced a very positive piece. They put the Segway and the entire company in a very good light.

Kelsey
PoloAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:26 AM   #10
pt
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vpv"my prediction: an even larger ban can and will happen in the next 30 to 60 days because of the rental biz in my area as well as other areas." These are so absurd! Classic example of over-reaction from the complainers.. but then again.. we'll see in 30 to 60 days..
okay, i "won" (but we all really lost) the parks department increased the ban 12 hours after i wrote that post.

they're now including multi-use trails and sidewalks -near- a park, in addition -to- the park. i'm scanning it in.

$500, criminal offense and civil charges (in addition to a 12 month ban from the park) are the penalties.

you say "this is so absurd!"

ask the people here in MY CITY that now can't use their segway, they have a $5,000 dust collector now.

classic example of over-reaction from the complainers?..you need to look at the facts to what happened.

someone is going to get hurt from a rental, then when it comes time for a ban in los angles, you'll lose your ability to use your ht too when the groups who want to ban something can use rentals as an example.

the worst thing is to be right over and over again about these things and then have to deal with people who can't see the train wreck coming despite all the facts.

if you're not going to help out or make suggestions, could you consider skipping over my posts and let the people trying to get stuff done, do it? thanks.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff: