SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 05-31-2003, 09:03 PM   #31
clm
clm

5 yr Member

Heather,

The sensitivity on this forum is simple - it is all about sidewalk access. Segway owners want to be allowed to ride and be accepted on sidewalks. Indeed many feel that sidewalk access is mandatory for Segways to exist as a useful tool in our world.

Your right that most young people fall all the time without incident, but the folks that control sidewalks do not. Indeed a fall is life threating to many older folks and anything going fast on a sidewalk is scarry for them.

This Spring opinions of forming about the Segway device as they begin to appear around town for the first time. Many on this forum feel that 100% of the users must behave 100% skillfully and courteously for the next year or so until the majority of people get to accept the Segway as non threatening. Maybe that's true. Maybe that is unreasonable, but whatever, that is the goal and I'd have to say so far, so good. Things have been developing in a way that gives the Segway a chance at existence.

Now rentals may threaten this. The regulators may see newbies riding rental Segways in scarry ways, especially on park paths. But then again rentals do expose the Segway to alot of people who otherwise would not ever get hands-on experience. People have an almost 100% a positive attitude toward the Segway after they "get it" and this helps greatly.

I think the activity you are reading here is all about this community trying to understand and control the renters. Posters here are not yet sure if the renters hurt or help overall, but they have for sure concluded that the renters will have a big influence on how thing work out. To me this is all very exciting to see this form up.

You know, in a way those critical of renters are acting exactly like the local city councilmen in form. The Councilmen are worried that Seggers will scare people on sidewalks and the Seggers are worried that the renters will scare councilmen into banning Segways.

Chris
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:47 AM   #32
BenBethel
BenBethel is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Dudes... it's been a few days since I've been on here but everyone is getting so angry so quickly.... again, this is like renting rollerblades to people who've never used them. This guy will learn that a few people will fall doing very minor things and get hurt. He'll step up his safety training for sure! Or he'll hurt himself. He just sounds new, like he has too much confidence (sound familiar?) and will have his mishaps and close-calls.

There's a curve on riding the HT. It's: a few minutes/hours/days of cautious riding due to no knowledge of the HT and not trusting the technology too much, followed by a few hours/days/weeks of riding where we trust the technology too much, until we hit doorways, bumps, spin on something, etc.... then we return to a happy medium. He's somewhere at the beginning still!

Unfortunately for him, he's got too many of these things. 16 of them? At least there's no interest in Canada on loans! Last time my parents were there they brought back a newspaper with interest rates on homes at -0.5% to -2.2% !!! Negative! They pay you to borrow money. Similar in Singapore and Malaysia.

Ben

www.benbethel.com
BenBethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:02 PM   #33
nocanfly
nocanfly is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

"At least there's no interest in Canada on loans! Last time my parents were there they brought back a newspaper with interest rates on homes at -0.5% to -2.2% !!! Negative! They pay you to borrow money. Similar in Singapore and Malaysia."

BenBethel: Can you let me know where I can get this negative interest rate. I'm planning to buy a home in Canada and the best I can get is 7%. Thanks in advance. Seriously, there is no negative interest rate. That's just absurd!
nocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:13 PM   #34
Lohja
Lohja

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nocanfly

"At least there's no interest in Canada on loans! Last time my parents were there they brought back a newspaper with interest rates on homes at -0.5% to -2.2% !!! Negative! They pay you to borrow money. Similar in Singapore and Malaysia."

BenBethel: Can you let me know where I can get this negative interest rate. I'm planning to buy a home in Canada and the best I can get is 7%. Thanks in advance. Seriously, there is no negative interest rate. That's just absurd!
Be quiet about it. They won't know it unless you tell them. Possibly it's because Canadian dollars are worth less than American Dollars. So, as we approach 0% from the positive side, they must pass through 0% and go negative to keep the same separation. So our +4% is possibly equivalent to their -2%. Makes cents to me.

Visit my Segway Blog page at http://galsegway01.blogspot.com
Lohja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:27 PM   #35
BenBethel
BenBethel is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I don't want to get off-topic, but I called my parents, brokers of 32 years, and they said yes, it was in the negative due to bank incentives which dropped the effective prime rate below zero for the first 3 or 5 years, they couldn't remember. They said this was in Vancouver. Also, when I was in Asia this past November, the daily news posted prime rates for all of the Asian nations and I remember being astounded at 0.02% to 0.62% prime rates!

However, it's getting good here too - I'm refinancing 5 mortgages, my primary residence is at 3.375% on a jumbo-loan, variable 5-year rate, while my investment properties are at 6.375% fixed - which is amazing since investment properties have always been in the 8.5% range for me!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic, or just email me privately... thanks!

www.benbethel.com
BenBethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 09:43 AM   #36
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

update-

still no word from jack. i sent him a series of questions (all the questions we had here) he didn't reply, but he did get them. i'm pretty sure it's in his best interest to not answer them since it could result in admitting some criminal acts.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:47 AM   #37
muckle
muckle

5 yr Member

Is there any way to save the video in Quicktime? I also have a Mac and the WMV only plays audio, as stated earlier. The divx version does the same thing - no picture. Us Mac folks would REALLY like to see this infamous, almost Zapruderesque footage!! HELP!
muckle is offline   Reply With Quote