SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-30-2003, 10:25 AM   #1
mario-ramos
mario-ramos is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Segway for disabled people

A friend of mine made me an interesting question. Will segway be usefull for a disabled person, for example, one that lost one leg. Could anybody answer this question? Could one of the guys that owns one try to ride using only one leg? If it works, would be a new life, agree with me?
Mario Ramos
Sao Paulo
Brazil
mario-ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:17 PM   #2
n/a
n/a is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

When Segway was unveiled on the Good Morning America program, it showed the hostess Diana Sawyer riding with only one foot on the Segway.

In the Segway related patents they mention that people with Parkinson's can ride them.

Elderly with walking disabilities should be able to ride them if they can go up and down stairs.
It would be interesting to hear mmore from those of u who own a Segway about this.
n/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
drucilla
drucilla

5 yr Member

Mario, a few years back I broke my foot and had a terrible time with the crutches and keeping up with people. So, a few weeks ago I posed that question to Segway LLC. If I broke my foot again, would I be able to use the Segway HT and keep up with them. They told me that if I could maintain good balance, I could successfully use the Segway...YEAH!!!!

mind if my segway and i pass?
drucilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
n/a
n/a is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Here is a response from a double amputee:

Quote:
quote:"It’s fun. It’s really simple to use," said Link Spooner, a double amputee and development director for Lift Line, a transportation service for the elderly and disabled. "Initially, I had a problem with it being on the sidewalk. I don’t have that problem now."
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/arc...es/10local.htm
n/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
Deviant
Deviant

5 yr Member

If your only using one leg, I would recommend something akin to the e-series so that you've got something to lean against. When I rode the e, I found myself leaning against the sidebags quite a bit.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:54 AM   #6
mulner
mulner

5 yr Member

can any of you help me get a segway i can stand but i m not able to walk more than a 100 yards w,unbliveable pain it could save my life so f anyone can help i would owe them forever.sad and locked in my house Pete//mulner@excite.com

Pete
mulner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:53 PM   #7
mulner
mulner

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mario-ramos

A friend of mine made me an interesting question. Will segway be usefull for a disabled person, for example, one that lost one leg. Could anybody answer this question? Could one of the guys that owns one try to ride using only one leg? If it works, would be a new life, agree with me?
Mario Ramos
Sao Paulo
Brazil
I agree %110 percent as long as he can aford it from what i see there is no assistance out there good luck bud let me know how it works out for you.

Pete
mulner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:18 AM   #8
ronzul
ronzul is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:can any of you help me get a segway i can stand but i m not able to walk more than a 100 yards w,unbliveable pain it could save my life so f anyone can help i would owe them forever.sad and locked in my house Pete//mulner@excite.com

Pete
Hi Pete,

As I myself am one with a serious mobility limitation, I know your predicament all two well. Best wishes for a more mobile less painful future.

Cheers
Ronny
ronzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:24 AM   #9
ronzul
ronzul is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:As I myself am one with a serious mobility limitation, I know your predicament all two well. Best wishes for a more mobile less painful future.
Just in case anyone read my previous posting, and couldn't believe that someone would write "all two well" instead of "all too well", let me explain... I use a speech recognition system, so instead of having "typos" I have "speakos".

ronzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:32 AM   #10
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

rozel, typos or speakos, I have parkensons and I guess I would have repeatos. Without spell check and much effort, my words would looookk llikeee tthiisss, tremors in my hands make muliple letters more common than not. some can be rather humerour if you look at it in the humerous vein, like his comes out hisss, as ....*** there are more examples but you get the idea, it can be embarassing but funny at the same time. Keep the faith, keep trying and Seg-on Seg-right JR
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote