SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:32 PM   #31
Kinky
Kinky

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AtlSeg

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pt

the ht is not and most likely never will be a medically approved device ever....so as hubbah said, you won't find segway offering up suggestions on how to modify the ht.
Well, while Segway LLC says in their Terms and Conditions:
Quote:
quote: 3. Not a Medical Device. The Product has not been designed, tested, or approved as a medical device. The rider must be able to step on and off the Product, which requires physical abilities similar to climbing and descending stairs without assistance and without holding the handrail. Therider's weight must be at least 100 pounds and must not exceed 250 pounds. The rider must be able to operate the steering control with the left hand.
I don't think the statement that it "most likely won't be a medically approved device ever" can be little more than one opinion.... and certainly should be better phrased from one who styles himself a Segway expert. Just my opinion.

Dick (Richard) in Atlanta
I agree with you Richard and YES Pam, pt does come off as Segway cop and expert. Everyone's experience with the Segway is beneficial to this site and because one person may have had his longer than others, does not make his experience more unique. We are all coming from different backgrounds, abilities and needs.
Kinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:42 PM   #32
toybuilder
toybuilder is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by toybuilder

Segway cannot sell the HT's as a medical device -- they have an agreement with Johnson and Johnson that J&J gets to use the dynamic stabilization technoology for all medical applications, and Dean Kamen gets all other applications.
BTW, I should point out that I got this information from the excerpt of Kemper's book that's been posted on the forum (http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3033):
Quote:
quote:Instead of asking for his usual hefty royalty, Dean offered Johnson & Johnson a different deal. He figured it would cost tens of millions more to get the [self-balancing wheelchair] to market. If Johnson & Johnson would put up the money, Dean would accept a smaller royalty. All he wanted in return were the rights to all nonmedical applications.
---
Sometime before Dean showed Fred to Johnson & Johnson, Kurt Heinzmann, who had excellent balance and was crazy, had started entertaining himself by standing on Rev 0’s small platform and using the joystick to surf around the lab. For a while no one, including Dean, re-alized the implications of this larky feat. But then they did, and Dean’s imagination leapt at the possibilities. That’s why he had insisted on retaining the rights to all nonmedical applications of the technology.
http://www.pasadenasegway.com

The Segway is to a Moped like a Helicopter is to an Airplane.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 08:59 AM   #33
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kinky

I agree with you Richard and YES Pam, pt does come off as Segway cop and expert. Everyone's experience with the Segway is beneficial to this site and because one person may have had his longer than others, does not make his experience more unique. We are all coming from different backgrounds, abilities and needs.
Kinky, this is because of your particular personality - methinks you don't like anything or anyone who tells you of limitations to what you think you want to do. (At least that has been your written position on the board.) Probably has been a good thing in learning to live with whatever disability you have.
But again, this is your opinion. You're entitled to your opinion.

There are certain things that do make his experience more unique, but he's not going to brag about them, and I'm not going to mention anything he's chosen not to mention.

Beyond that, these boards are here for people to take what they feel is good for them, and they can ignore the rest. Better to ignore than get your guts all churned up about something, in my book.(Not saying yours are all churned up, mind you.)
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 09:31 AM   #34
Kinky
Kinky

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pam

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kinky

Kinky, this is because of your particular personality - methinks you don't like anything or anyone who tells you of limitations to what you think you want to do. (At least that has been your written position on the board.) Probably has been a good thing in learning to live with whatever disability you have.
But again, this is your opinion. You're entitled to your opinion.

There are certain things that do make his experience more unique, but he's not going to brag about them, and I'm not going to mention anything he's chosen not to mention.

Beyond that, these boards are here for people to take what they feel is good for them, and they can ignore the rest. Better to ignore than get your guts all churned up about something, in my book.(Not saying yours are all churned up, mind you.)
Pam
Methinks we need two boards; one for the moderators and another one for everyone else. I have noticed how critical y'all get toward me when I point out your one-sided opionions. I am entitled to my opinion also and from what I've read I am not alone. If your feelings are so tender than don't read my replies.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:16 AM   #35
AtlSeg
AtlSeg

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pam

Hey, Richard, a friend walked into my office today and saw my Segway sitting there and said she'd been up to Atlanta this weekend. She and a friend had gone to some sort of parade/celebration, and there were 3 Segways in the parade.. Were you there? Also some sort of little car made out of PVC pipe <G>.
Pam
Pam, it wasn't me--I was out of town! I still haven't run into any other "consumer" Segways in Atlanta--but many people have seen the E models being used around Underground Atlanta by the Atlanta Ambassadors, as well as the ones being used at the Atlanta airport by the police there.

Would love to hook up with any other Atlanta Seggers....

Dick (Richard) in Atlanta
AtlSeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 02:13 PM   #36
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Casterman, according to Lipinsky's post
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3061

Segway originally had the turn control on the right side. I haven't seen these pics before, for all I know they could be mirror copies of some originals Segway let out early on, or they could have been on the right. Don't know, but could be possible and does make sense to switch it because of people thinking its a throttle... But for a Lefty it almost would be a necessity. Wouldn't you think?

For Segway to get around the FDA approval side helping you as an amputee (in your case) all they would need to do is make it an option, back on the right side for the sake of Left handed people. It would also fit your situation by doing this. No FDA approval at all needed to retrofit say for a Left handed person. They supposedly had it on the right at one time, so I really dont think they would have went and re-engineered the handlegrips to switch it to the other side and change back to something else. As far as I can tell they assemble the same way on both sides except for the steering part, but look the same. It would be to cost prohibitive from a manufacturing standpoint I think to change it back on forth. Also according to Segway's website in the assembly pdf files it shows how easily the handle grips come off. I believe I saw somewhere, on someones dis-assembly pics that both sides of the handlebars has the slots down the center. I could be wrong.

With switching the handle grips to the other side the only thing I think that needs to be addressed is what determines when the grip is twisted. Assumedly, at the base of the handlebars with the grips removed on the left side there is a sensor or contact switches that determines this. All one would have to do is figure out how to switch the wiring of it and place it on the other side of the handlebars. This would mean taking the handlebar assembly apart. Which someone has suggested, is not a good idea. I'm assuming because it may be real difficult to align everything up inside before closing the unit up. Perhaps tapeing up everything up inside before assembly, would work. I don't know untill I would be able to see the guts. Then at that point, if switching them is a go, then you would most likely need to reverse the wiring at the switch or sensor for the proper directional twists needed.

Another need of yours might be perhaps a stabilizing device to help you keep your balance some how. I'm thinking a short horizontal pole with a large belly pad attached to the Segway control shaft to lean against, and if needed a wide belt with velcro or somesort of breakaway set of snaps to help with leaning an turnig attached to the pad. So in case of an emergency you could forcefully dissable yourself by excess inertia. Following me? Something to help you stay stable while turning because, when turning your right hand would be less as secure and your holding on grip would be minimized. So you need some left side stability, right?. Perhaps a long 2 piece belt with velcro strips in the middle attached to the base on the left side near the wheels and the other end connected to a clip on your belt. I don't know just theorizing on what things could be tried. This would have to be something someone else would have to design because this would fall under the FDA thing Segway is staying clear of at this time.

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"
GadgetmanKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:54 AM   #37
billc
billc

5 yr Member

Hi I am also intereted in it's use for people with limited mobility and have received "cool" responses from Segway (due to the issues already mentioned).
This will be a "boon" for anyone with mobility issues (everything from angina to amputation - assuming that their balance and reaction responses are OK!

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:11 AM   #38
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

Bill C - even the balance issue isn't such a big one with the Segway. While I am walking around my balance is not brilliant, especially as I get tired. Yesterday I stumbled several times while working at the mission but as soon as I got on my Segway I was just fine.

I also find a lot of things trigger true vertigo (not just dizziness) for me, but as yet, I have not had this happen while on the Seg. I do have to be careful showing people how it turns in place - one turn in one direction is my limit

Linda at this forum (Lazarus) has been surprised that she has had a very similar experience. On two feet she is unsteady and gets dizzy. On the Seg this doesn't happen.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:06 PM   #39
Kinky
Kinky

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jillmac

Bill C - even the balance issue isn't such a big one with the Segway. While I am walking around my balance is not brilliant, especially as I get tired. Yesterday I stumbled several times while working at the mission but as soon as I got on my Segway I was just fine.

I also find a lot of things trigger true vertigo (not just dizziness) for me, but as yet, I have not had this happen while on the Seg. I do have to be careful showing people how it turns in place - one turn in one direction is my limit

Linda at this forum (Lazarus) has been surprised that she has had a very similar experience. On two feet she is unsteady and gets dizzy. On the Seg this doesn't happen.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
I also find that it is easier to balance on the Segway than with my canes. I also don't get as tired and my back, legs and arms don't hurt like they do when I use a wheelchair or canes.
Anne