SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #21
jabackes
jabackes is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

I followed this and got half of a set to revive too! sadly the battery that did revive charges but shows a red-light when it goes full, i am able to get about 3 or so miles out of it when it's hooked up, less than ideal, but hey, working 18650 Cells! likely going to salvage the batteries for other projects, I've ordered replacement batteries but the procedure works!
Old 09-16-2020, 11:25 PM   #22
Tonylovesbritt
First Timer
Tonylovesbritt is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Unhappy Please

Tell me how to charge or trick please
Tonylovesbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #23
mmp01
mmp01 is on a distinguished road

Default Anyone try this with NIMH batteries?

I have two sets of NIMH batteries that I'd like to revive. Has anyone used this procedure on them? I know I'll need to lower the voltage accordingly but wanted to see if anyone had any advice before I began. Thank you.
mmp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #24
mmp01
mmp01 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone used this method on NIMH batteries? If so, any advice? I'll certainly lower the voltage as compared to Lithium batteries. Thank you
mmp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #25
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Segway NiMH batteries will charge on the Segway even if they are over-discharged. If your battery does not charge on the machine, you likely have cells that have vented or a damaged BMS. In either situation force charging the cells will not rectify the issue. We can rebuild them for you if you are interested. Take care.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:28 AM   #26
Notaguru
Notaguru is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default Partial success

REVIVING BATTERIES AND AN OLD THREAD

I drive an I2, and was just given an old (NiMH and non leansteer I167) unit with three of the four batteries showing less than 10V. I built a simple (but admittedly unsafe, and yes output is halfwave DC) ~60V source:

120VAC > 0.5A fuse > 600 ohm wirewound resistor > diode > battery, with two circuits in parallel to enable independent charging of both NiMH battery packs in each unit.

Output was 54V, and current was close to 150mA, so about 8W total. No fires, smoke, or black helicopters.

It brought all four batteries (two battery packs) up to more than 30V. I installed them and got a red LED plus a green blinker.

I pulled the batteries and repeated the process, and got the same result.

The I167 is in good cosmetic condition, is fully equipped with three keys, original manual, tools, etc., and was fully functional when taken out of service. It deserves recovery, but I don't want to pay for batteries and then discover a non-battery problem.

Is there anyone in S California that would let me borrow a pair of NiMH battery packs? I'll drive to you, and as you know it's just a five minute experiment.

Or - is there a guru here that can suggest further steps regarding the existing battery packs?

THANKS!!
Notaguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #27
rene_canlas
rene_canlas is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
rene_canlas' guide worked on 3 out of 4 batteries for me! Thanks so much rene!

willballz11 (New Member) just posted another tip to try on another thread.. this would facilitate the same result without having to purchase an adjustable power supply.. he says:

I had a red light and a green light. Took the batteries off and tested voltage on both. One was 77v and one was 5v. So then I plugged in the Segway and tested the ports that the battery plug into. One read 27v. And the other read 11v. Not sure if that's a problem but it seems odd. Either way I used as heavy gauge wire as I could did negative to negative and positive to positive and let it sit for 40 seconds. Feeling both batteries the entire time and with a fire extinguisher nearby just in case. Neither battery heated up and when I tested batteries again the one that was at 5v was now reading 60v. So I plug in the two batteries on my Segway and Wala. Two green lights Segway recognizes both batteries now.
Wow! Thanks for sharing this technique. I'll add it into my document as a "roadside emergency alternative". Cheers!
Rides: Gray i167 (2003), Black i2 (2009)

Last edited by rene_canlas; 10-24-2021 at 09:44 AM..
rene_canlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #28
rene_canlas
rene_canlas is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Found myself back here after 2 years because, yep. it has happened again so I went to where I stored my guide on the internet to once again try and revive the batteries on my i167. It has saved them once again!

I loved reading about how you guys were able to use my guide to save your batteries. I love this community and I will try to visit more often

Cheers!
Rides: Gray i167 (2003), Black i2 (2009)
rene_canlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:40 PM   #29
svo4turbo
svo4turbo is on a distinguished road

Digging up an old post, I realize. But I think this information could be very useful to me as it has been to others. Question...I have an adjustable power supply that can deliver up to 120v / 3a. I realize that this post suggested using 60v, but wouldn't it be ideal to use the 73.6v? Or is the idea to get it just high enough to let the onboard take over? Thanks
svo4turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #30
Flenser
Flenser is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Saved me thousands

Thanks so much to Rene for putting this guide together.

I have two Segways that we sadly haven't used this past year, and they weren't starting up, and one charging light on each was solid red.

This guide led me to buy a power supply, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09WD85XCX/ but I already had a voltmeter. I gritted my teeth when I got to the part in the guide about taping up nails to stick in the batteries, but everything worked like a charm, and both Segways are up and running now!
Flenser is offline   Reply With Quote