SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
carlotaglia
carlotaglia is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Me and my i2: photos and videos

Hello everybody!

I hope you will enjoy some photos and videos about my Segway riding experiences.
I use it everywhere, in every weather conditions, in every seasons and it is a phenomenal machine, that can help me transporting many kilograms of photographic equipment, during events or during my journeys through hills, mountains...

Thank you i2!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i2 Owner since 2006 with more than 4000km experience
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carlotaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
PaulDV
PaulDV is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Excellent video Carlo!

It definitely shows off the handling of the i2 in the snow - somehow I didn't think it would handle anywhere nearly as good as that.
PaulDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
JPM
JPM is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Those were great pictures and videos! Thanks for sharing! As the previous poster mentioned, this really does show how well the Segway can handle in the snow. You were doing some pretty quick and intense maneuvers and the Segway (apart from maybe one or two times) didn't slip or fall at all! That was great to see, actually. I'm not yet an owner but have been obsessing over owning an i2 for a few years now. One of the reasons I'm a tad hesitant is that it snows frequently where I live, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and I was a bit dubious about how well it would handle it. You proved to me that snow shouldn't be a problem!

We're one of a kind as we travel around
The wind in our face, and our feet off the ground
As we see brand new things and have stories to tell
While gliding atop just two wheels, parallel
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

My experience in snow has been with much deeper snow, with any pavement or other solid service being many feet below.

It really did quite well, so long as it wasn't soft enough (think afternoon sunshine) to sink in too deeply -- an X2 would do better in that regard. I've sunk in deep enough into soft sand as well. Rule-of-thumb -- if you sink in deeply enough the platform rests on the surface, you can't move until you step off and get it back on top of the material first.

The other area is that on snow you can't climb nearly as steep a hill as you can on solid ground. This isn't surprising, of course.

I was never able to do the sort of sharp turn-and-slide shown here -- with the deeper snow, I had too much sideways traction!

Great video; fun to watch! Thanks for sharing it.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Yes, those hard spinning turns would normally be called 'drifting' I believe, if he were in a car. I had not wanted to actually post that he was drifting in the drifts of snow as it was a bit too much of an alliteration for even me.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Yes, those hard spinning turns would normally be called 'drifting' I believe, if he were in a car. I had not wanted to actually post that he was drifting in the drifts of snow as it was a bit too much of an alliteration for even me.
Exactly why I didn't use the word!

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
carlotaglia

5 yr Member

Thank you to all of you!

When I made that video, I mounted two Michelin cross tires, but the day after I tried to make the same "drifts" with standard Segway tires and it was really amazing!
You can slip for over two or three meters and if you try to make a curve at "high" speed or a lot of short but hard maneuvers, you can feel how the stability control effectively works.
Now it's snowing here, so I look forward to make another video, using even standard tires .

Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
carlotaglia

5 yr Member

Here is another picture.
That uphill is very hard to ride, even for all moto-cross or off road cars drivers, in fact, once I was photographing at the top of that hill, so, a moto-cross rider stopped close to me and asked me (with a shocked expression on his face, hehehe) how could I been there with that "robo" (an italian word that we usually use to indicate something strange).
Without laughing, I answered "Why? There's nothing weird on that!", hahaha.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
carlotaglia

5 yr Member

As i promised, here's a new video: I also tested i2's standard tires along a slope with snow and mud and it was really amazing!
But I don't want to anticipate anything...enjoy the video (also HD 1080p)!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
SKPeterson
SKPeterson is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Amazing Stability

Being a non-owner, I can't speak to any actual gliding experience, but everything I've read up until now would have had me believe the Segway WAS NOT very stable on slippery surfaces. Perhaps it was when the difference in traction between the two tires is different, such as between cement and wet grass. In this case, traction between the two tires remains pretty similar.

Great video!

Stuart
SKPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote