SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #41
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Have someone take a video for us to see? I know with my balance problems no way...but would be cool to see how a Seger makes the transition! Be safe
I'm probably past the transition stage now having been using it on and off (no pun intended) this last week. However, I'd echo what Gihgehls said earlier - I don't think actually learning to use it was affected by my Segway skills. The learning is so different. Sure, you lean forwards and backwards etc., but I think a non-Segway rider would find it just as easy/tricky as I did. I think this device requires more skill to learn and your rate of success will be very personal based on your own individual abilities. Hence a video of me pootling around - or even videos of me learning, would be no different to other videos already online (other than people will be quicker to learn or take longer).

So basically, any videos you find on youtube will be just as valid, whether the rider uses Segways or not. I'll put some videos that I found useful at the end of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
My issue with this device would be evasive maneuvering / emergency stops. On the segway there have been countless times I have needed to turn and/or stop quickly and accurately to avoid something unexpected. I can't see how this can be accomlished as effectively (or at all) with a solo/air wheel.
I think once you have developed a high level of proficiency on these devices your ability to turn and stop will be better. Braking works pretty much like on a Segway. Only having a single wheel (smaller than a Segway on some models and narrower too) and no handlebar to hold, probably limits the aggressiveness of the braking manoeuvres but it will brake pretty well in my limited experience. The best bit is you are so low and not going much faster than 10MPH most of the time, in an emergency (I've had a few - "I'm about to hit a lamppost" type emergencies), you can step off or jump off. If you are quick you can grab the handle or if you have the learning band, you just hang on to that to prevent the wheel continuing without you. You can turn very quickly - probably quicker than on a Segway by twisting your feet/legs. But I've not mastered that yet.

The goal would be to minimise those situations where heavy breaking or turning is needed - which I'm sure we all do - but they do happen from time to time.

Of course, as far as I know there is no redundancy in this machine: one wheel, one motor, one battery, one control board etc. This worried me a little at first but it does seem to be solid and reliable. And I can't think of any times where the Segway's redundancy actually saved me from harm - but I would rather have redundancy if possible.

Other thoughts:
  • there is no key, just a single push button to power on and power off the device
  • Changing the tyre seems tricky has you have to take the case apart - but at least the valve is easily accessible and the tyres are readily available (standard ebike tyres).
  • No kickstand!
  • No lights (for illumination) or reflective gear (shame - they could at least carry some reflective stripes or something).
  • Very very quiet running. Quieter than a Segway - and less wheel-to-ground noise (because there is less wheel!).
  • Fewer legal issues. But that will vary country to country / state to state I guess. But Segways are not legal in the UK but these are so it is a plus. Although, I hope to hear of some more promising info about this on Monday.

These are some of the videos I found useful:

First attempts (this guy did much better than I did!)

Commuting in London promo

General promo

Airwheel starter video.

Learning to ride.

Learning the Solowheel
Old 08-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #42
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
The goal would be to minimise those situations where heavy breaking or turning is needed - which I'm sure we all do - but they do happen from time to time.

Of course, as far as I know there is no redundancy in this machine: one wheel, one motor, one battery, one control board etc. This worried me a little at first but it does seem to be solid and reliable. And I can't think of any times where the Segway's redundancy actually saved me from harm - but I would rather have redundancy if possible.
Minimise, yes, but you can never eliminate those situations. I'm quite cautious, but I still encounter surprises on occasion. On such occasions, I find the Segway outhandles all my other "last mile" transports (kick scooters, bicycles) in response, accuracy, and predictability.

Redundancy has saved me from harm on several occasions, "unfortunately". I have an early i2, and if you've been following these forums you will remember I have had numerous subsystem failures that resulted in controlled shutdowns. If there had been no built-in redundancies, I hate to imagine what could have happened...
Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #43
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Looks like good ankles would be an asset....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #44
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Don't get me wrong, Pete, there is no comparison. The quality and safety and utility of the Segway is superior. No doubt in my mind. And the redundancy is a key feature - but whilst I recognise the importance of it, I have never had it save me the way it has saved you.

But this device is fun and can do a lot of what a Segway can do and is much cheaper.

Lily, my ankles got pretty battered in the first few days as my riding style developed. They're OK now but strong ankles and legs help on this device for sure.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #45
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

The solowheel really highlights what is amazing about the Segway: You can get up and go with very little "rewiring" needed in your brain. The cool thing about the solowheel is how much rewiring you get to experience

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 08-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #46
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well, I thought it only right I should come back here and report that I took a bit of a tumble...

Went to the shop to buy some bread. On the way back, after re-mounting, I had a bit of a wobble and had to step off. Got back on but this time I lost it. Didn't get chance to step off, I went down on to the pavement. Not quite a face plant. I landed on my side - shoulder and hands took the brunt of the fall.

I think I may have hit my head - my face ended up on the floor but I'm not really sure to be honest. There were no marks on my head or face.

I got up and inspected the damage. Some scrapes on my hands, some mud on my hoodie. But what is this? My little finger in a seemingly impossible position? Yikes! I looked around. No one seemed to be about. I picked up the bread and my ride and walked back home.

Turned out I had broken and dislocated my finger. It was popped back in later that day and is now bound up for a week or so. On the way to A&E in the car I passed out. Glad I didn't drive myself! A week on and I'm fine - just a bit sore and waiting for my finger to heal. Some 'road rash' on my hand and shoulder.

Since then I have been out twice on the Airwheel just to make sure I didn't become psychologically detached from it. You know, get straight back on it.

I've thought about what happened in some more detail and I think a number of factors caused my tumble. All my own fault. I think I was still feeling slightly uncomfortable and under pressure whenever my ride area was narrow and whenever people were about. When I stepped off the first time I felt people were watching. I rushed to get back on and this was in a fairly narrow pavement consisting of houses on one side and parked cars on the other. The pavement was not particularly smooth. I wobbled as is normal but this wobble was more severe. It either caused my foot to slip off the pedal or I tilted too much and the pedal grounded, hurtling me off. I'm not sure, in my haste, I actually had a sound mount to begin with. Plus it was wet. It had been raining and my previous step off would have meant my trainers were also wet. I was also carrying a bag with the bread in. So, I took a tumble and felt like a fool.

Two days earlier I had taken a ride on much rougher terrain and for several miles. The second half of which was all pavement alongside traffic. It had felt great. It was dark and difficult to see - so I was ultra cautious. But I made it 90% of my trip before the battery gave in and I had to walk. Reminded me of my early Gen1 days "mowing the pavement". The Airwheel gets heavy fast!!

So, there you go. I'm not giving up on it. I'm just going to be more careful about how and where I start up. I think, a little like on a Segway, starting off and stopping (and hills) are the tricky bits, riding is fine, so long as you avoid hazards of course.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #47
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

1. I am glad you are okay.
2. Passing out is a bit scary. Did you have a brain scan, or did anyone check for concussion?
3. Were you wearing a bike helmet?
4. We all know this device is very different than a segway. Can you postulate on the likelihood of the outcome if you had taken this same adventure via segway?
5. I know there are safety gear that is available for roller blades as an example, in addition to helmets, there are elbow and knee pads, and wrist guards that have a firm plastic shank that protects wrists and fingers from injuries like yours.

Might you suggest some of these as either training aids, or standard ride gear?

6. Again, I am glad you seem to be okay. Story would have been much worse with permanent injury.

Additionally,
You mention that the tumble is all your own fault. I might say that I believe that everything we do, or don't do is our own fault, but in this case, while you did tumble because of actions you took, it is worth remembering that each tool we choose to use has its own set of additions and subtractions from any situation.

If you try to hammer a nail with a rock, the nail may go into the wood, but you may easily damage your fingers or the wood, and will more likely do this than if you use a hammer. The fault of damage would be yours for choosing the rock, but if you have no hammer, it may be a reasonable choice.

You chose to use this airwheel for a task. The airwheel brings to the table a certain set of advantages and disadvantages. Your tumble is a result of your choosing to use the airwheel, but also because of the characteristics of that airwheel. In the same situation, had you chosen a bicycle, a segway, or a car, or your own shoes, the results would have likely been different. Because of this, the airwheel also has some culpability in the damage to your body.

We all make discriminating decisions about the tools we use every day. Bike with exercise, sweat and enjoyment? Segway with less exercise, less sweat, more notoriety, enjoyment, and ...? Air wheel with all it brings and does not bring? Car with less enjoyment, exercise and sweat, but more convenience and speed, but also the hassle of parking and the nagging annoyance of fossil fuel consumption when not needed?

These are all presented to us each and every day. At some point, most of us want to use each tool available to us. At other points, each conveyance I mentioned above will not get chosen, often times for what it may have been chosen for on another day.

Over time, some will make the cut, and become a standard conveyance in our every day choices, and some will fall from daily use. There are things I use less than I used to, because the novelty has worn off, or because their pluses have been subtly overcome by their minuses.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 08-16-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #48
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hi Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
1. I am glad you are okay.
2. Passing out is a bit scary. Did you have a brain scan, or did anyone check for concussion?
Thanks. There was no brain scan, the doctors just looked me over. Everything was fine. I probably just lost a few brain cells.
Quote:
3. Were you wearing a bike helmet?
I wasn't wearing any helmet. Had I been, I don't know if, on this occasion, it would have helped much.
Quote:
4. We all know this device is very different than a segway. Can you postulate on the likelihood of the outcome if you had taken this same adventure via segway?
Well, if I was on my Segway I certainly wouldn't have tumbled the way I did. I'm much more experienced on my Segway and haven't fallen off it, ever. I've had to step off a few times but never fallen. Had I been inexperienced and on my Segway, I still don't think it would have happened. Whilst getting on and off a Segway can be tricky for beginners, I always found it just takes a mere few minutes to master the mount and dismount. Other things tend to cause problems on the Segway - hazard perception and avoidance - but those things also apply to the Airwheel. I think the only advantage the Airwheel might have with regards to hazard avoidance is that it is much narrower.
Quote:
5. I know there are safety gear that is available for roller blades as an example, in addition to helmets, there are elbow and knee pads, and wrist guards that have a firm plastic shank that protects wrists and fingers from injuries like yours.

Might you suggest some of these as either training aids, or standard ride gear?
I think I would recommend some precautions when learning to ride. Some safety equipment would be sensible -as recommended way further up this thread. There has been one or two discussions about using helmets on this forum so I won't mention that here!

So, what have I learned? Well, when setting off, I need to ensure I take my time. I need to ensure the area is not crowded or has anything in it that will panic or stress me out should I veer slightly to the left or right (e.g. parked cars or buildings). I need to ensure my 'mounting foot' is firmly and correctly in place before setting off. I need to focus and not let the presence of other people make me do anything I wouldn't ordinarily do. If I step off and need to remount, I must take it slow the second time. Do not rush. Do not feel pressured by others or become frustrated with myself.

If I can do all that, I'm sure I will be more successful, just like I was a few days earlier on my 8-9KM ride.

Last edited by gbrandwood; 08-17-2014 at 09:46 AM..
Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #49
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Hi Karl

Thanks. There was no brain scan, the doctors just looked me over. Everything was fine. I probably just lost a few brain cells.
I wasn't wearing any helmet. Had I been, I don't know if, on this occasion, it would have helped much.
Well, if I was on my Segway I certainly wouldn't have tumbled the way I did. I'm much more experienced on my Segway and haven't fallen off it, ever. I've had to step off a few times but never fallen. Had I been inexperienced and on my Segway, I still don't think it would have happened. Whilst getting on and off a Segway can be tricky for beginners, I always found it just takes a mere few minutes to master the mount and dismount. Other things tend to cause problems on the Segway - hazard perception and avoidance - but those things also apply to the Airwheel. I think the only advantage the Airwheel might have with regards to hazard avoidance is that it is much narrower.
I think I would recommend some precautions when learning to ride. Some safety equipment would be sensible -as recommended way further up this thread. There has been one or two discussions about using helmets on this forum so I won't mention that here!

So, what have I learned? Well, when setting off, I need to ensure I take my time. I need to ensure the area is not crowded or has anything in it that will panic or stress me out should I veer slightly to the left or right (e.g. parked cars or buildings). I need to ensure my 'mounting foot' is firmly and correctly in place before setting off. I need to focus and not let the presence of other people make me do anything I wouldn't ordinarily do. If I step off and need to remount, I must take it slow the second time. Do not rush. Do not feel pressured by others or become frustrated with myself.

If I can do all that, I'm sure I will be more successful, just like I was a few days earlier on my 8-9KM ride.
I can boil that all down to the beginning and the end...

I have so few brain cells left, I keep them numbered and have a pet name for each. Loosing a few brain cells for me might be the difference of being sentient or not. (Some here may say I have already lost that contest...)

You need to start this device in a place devoid of cars, people and buildings. Sounds like a great device, as long as each ride starts and ends in Kansas. Maybe Oklahoma. Perhaps an abandoned aircraft carrier.

As long as these criteria are met, seems like a great item...

All kidding aside, keep us posted on your progress. Perhaps this was the one and only spill you will ever have to report.

Also, I recall a movement last year or two ago, about people who were trying to pad all poles and posts on sidewalks over there, in order to help those who walk and text at the same time, and had been walking into posts.

Is that still going on? If so, you may want to only start and end your glides in places where all (and I mean ALL) the potential obstacles are padded for your comfort as you collide with them.

I just thought of a way you can comfortably glide most anywhere you like... Hire a bunch of kids who can run along side you with mattresses. (perhaps air mattresses would be easier)

If you have the money, and they hold the mattresses vertical like walls, you can have your own travelling padded octagon. Kind of like a padded cell that moves with you...

On weekends, you can save some money, and use a travelling hexagon.

Good luck. Keep us posted...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #50
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I will certainly keep you posted.

I think I just need more time to master this device. Once I feel I have it licked, my operating requirements will be simpler and not require Kansas to be at either end of my journey!

I have to say that I have read about and seen, first-hand, much worse endured by Segway riders. And none of those incidents were the fault of the SPT per se, usually just the operator or other environmental factors - as was the case for my tumble off the Airwheel.

Tags
crash, onewheel, ouch, solowheel