SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 05-19-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
mzokc
mzokc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Paul Harvey makes Segway rental comment

(UPDATE: The audio is long gone, but the effect lingers on. When Paul Harvey says it, it takes off with investors. Isn't it interesting that this thread was more concerned about the word "scooter" than the word "rental!" My how times change.)

On Monday, May 19, 2003 Paul Harvey said:

"The Segway Scooter has not been selling too well at five thousand dollars, but they're renting very well in resort areas. Twenty dollars for thirty minutes."

You can listen at http://www.paulharvey.com (dont bother, see update.)

Click on Monday "morning" during the next week.

Mark
mzokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 11:42 AM   #2
MONTIE
MONTIE

5 yr Member

I'll be waiting for "The rest of the Story"...Montie
MONTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:31 PM   #3
Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:"The Segway Scooter has not been selling too well at five thousand dollars, but they're renting very well in resort areas. Twenty dollars for thirty minutes."
There is no way I would rent a Segway for $20 for 30 minutes. That's way too low ... somebody is losing money or soon will be.

and IT'S NOT A SCOOTER!!!

Onward!
Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:52 PM   #4
Peter iNova
Peter iNova is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Paul is SO well informed!

-iNova

http://www.glidewalk.com
Peter iNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

web
works
both ways.

http://www.paulharvey.com/email_form.shtml

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
Neelix
Neelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

How can people honestly look at a Segway and call it a scooter? It looks absolutely positively NOTHING like a scooter! Scooters have their wheels in a TOTALLY different position. The Segway looks, to me anyway, like a Segway. There is nothing out there that you could compare it to, save a chariot.

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Neelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:07 PM   #7
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

Neelix, I know that the Segway does not look or work anything like a scooter. But I find myself describing mine as a "high tech, self balancing, electronic scooter" because people can relate to the word scooter as a device to scooting around town for short trips. I think that lay-people (people not knowledgable about the details of the Segway HT) find the term, scooter, much more friendly and embraceable than "human transporter".

So far, nobody I have told this to has mistaken the Segway high tech, self balancing, electronic scooter, for one of those low tech, dangerous razor scooters. I think it is only us that are getting hung up on the word scooter as describing a particular form of wheeled device rather than scooter refering to a transportion method that gets us around where we want to go that is not a car, bike, skates or skate board.

I certainly agree that there is nothing out there that compares to a Segway HT. And notice that I don't call it a scooter when talking to anyone here. I just use scooter the first time I describe it to a new person to help them grasp what I can use the Segway for and then I tell them about what a wonder the Segway really is.

Stan Dobrowski
Stan671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:24 PM   #8
Neelix
Neelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

When I describe the Segway, I am certain that I completely leave out the word "scooter" I tell them that it is a two-wheeled, self-balancing, personal mobility device that looks like a lawnmower. Most people have seen them on TV, even if they don't know the name, so I find that that description is able to get the point across.

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Neelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:41 PM   #9
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

I always leave out the word scooter because it seems to be something Dean Kamen feels strongly about. If I can't describe it without using the word "scooter" then I suggest that they have a demo ride.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 07:13 PM   #10
Private Pile
Private Pile

5 yr Member

Instead of "scooter," try "Galactic Stallion." If that doesn't work, HT should do.
Private Pile is offline   Reply With Quote