SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Hobbes
Hobbes is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default A response 'to' Busch Gardens

I have an i2 so I will base my design on that.....The following description is for concept illustration, not construction.

A half circular plate is bolted to each face of the transmissions using the 3 existing holes. Above the line joining the rotation centers of the wheels, there is a short axle stub (to mount a rod end or similar mounted bearing) on each plate.

Now visualise a Y-shaped frame in the horizontal plane. From the ends of the 3 endpoints of the Y, there is a vertical leg. At the front (the top of the Y) the 2 legs descend to the bearings mounted on the transmission plates. The back leg descends to a nice big pneumatic castering wheel.

A seat is mounted on top of the Y. It may or may not need to be capable of sliding. I don't think it will.

I haven't seen the innards of the bottom mount of the leansteer column, but my guess is that it could be reproduced. At the bottom, the new column would angle to the side at 30 degrees from the horizontal (and maybe forward a bit, fit would, determine that, then vertically for an appropriate distance, horizontal to the center where it would turn rearward or vertically to the T-handle.

This shape would make it possible to mount/dismount the scooter from the front.

A movable stop could be incorporated between the back of the platform and the Y-frame to limit the forward tilt when it is activated, thus enabling a person to get on and off when the Segway is turned off.

The swiveling rear wheel (which would be as close to the footprint of the turn-on-the-spot circle as possible) would carry very little weight and contribute little rolling friction.

The height of the two pivot points on the plate are to help transfer the bearing weight forward in forward motion to relieve the handlebar push force required. Acceleration and braking control inputs and forces are the part of the concept that I suspect need some more thought.

Now we have a 3-wheeled mobility scooter which Busch Gardens should allow in. It is not a Segway. Do you see any logo's? I don't see any logo's. A nice plastic cover over the unused platform volume may help to reinforce that.

After a season, the cover comes off, and maybe the logo's re-appear. After another, that wheel gets smaller and smaller and hardly touches the ground. Two years later and little wings start to appear. Maybe I should stop now.

The actual structures would be very different from what I have described, but I hope you can get the picture.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Many have tried that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
I have an i2 so I will base my design on that.....The following description is for concept illustration, not construction.

A half circular plate is bolted to each face of the transmissions using the 3 existing holes. Above the line joining the rotation centers of the wheels, there is a short axle stub (to mount a rod end or similar mounted bearing) on each plate.

Now visualise a Y-shaped frame in the horizontal plane. From the ends of the 3 endpoints of the Y, there is a vertical leg. At the front (the top of the Y) the 2 legs descend to the bearings mounted on the transmission plates. The back leg descends to a nice big pneumatic castering wheel.

A seat is mounted on top of the Y. It may or may not need to be capable of sliding. I don't think it will.

I haven't seen the innards of the bottom mount of the leansteer column, but my guess is that it could be reproduced. At the bottom, the new column would angle to the side at 30 degrees from the horizontal (and maybe forward a bit, fit would, determine that, then vertically for an appropriate distance, horizontal to the center where it would turn rearward or vertically to the T-handle.

This shape would make it possible to mount/dismount the scooter from the front.

A movable stop could be incorporated between the back of the platform and the Y-frame to limit the forward tilt when it is activated, thus enabling a person to get on and off when the Segway is turned off.

The swiveling rear wheel (which would be as close to the footprint of the turn-on-the-spot circle as possible) would carry very little weight and contribute little rolling friction.

The height of the two pivot points on the plate are to help transfer the bearing weight forward in forward motion to relieve the handlebar push force required. Acceleration and braking control inputs and forces are the part of the concept that I suspect need some more thought.

Now we have a 3-wheeled mobility scooter which Busch Gardens should allow in. It is not a Segway. Do you see any logo's? I don't see any logo's. A nice plastic cover over the unused platform volume may help to reinforce that.

After a season, the cover comes off, and maybe the logo's re-appear. After another, that wheel gets smaller and smaller and hardly touches the ground. Two years later and little wings start to appear. Maybe I should stop now.

The actual structures would be very different from what I have described, but I hope you can get the picture.
It's been done. Best of luck you would be the first to pull it off.
I have had 3 & 4 wheel no logo Segs and never got past the gate.

The answers will come in time, see the thread here abut he DOJ response to Iconglide. Adding wheels is not the answer.

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote