SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #21
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

<<< Anyone who believes that a Segway is just as much of a business/ recreation/ utility/ transportation tool as a bicycle, please meet me here>>>

JohnM,
A bicycle, a Segway, there are just "as much" this as they are just "as much" that. Lets say that both sides are correct (for the most part) in what they're claiming.
JohnM , othere than responding to the part of the original posters question of IF you own a Segway, what is your point really about?

I own bothan ebike(eGO)
and a Segway. The ebike goes up to 20mph. I've enjoyed both very much.
I love riding a bicycle in my youth(learned to ride hands free around age 8 and oh how I miss that, but tthe Segway allows me to come close to that feeling again as I'm now in my 60's and don't believe I'm not willing to find out if I could do it hands free on a bike anymore).

be safe,
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the PONY SEAT
Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #22
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Well stated, everyone (except JohnM).

I have a motorhome, car, 2 bicycles, 2 Segways, a micro kick-scooter, and a pair of shoes. None are universally "better" than the others. They each have their own place and functionality in multi-modal transportation, depending on the intended destination, related activities, expected cargo, weather, and any other utility needed.

I choose the tool that is best for the job at hand....
Old 02-13-2014, 12:57 AM   #23
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post

I've tested a lot of high and low end ebikes, especially A2B, and as I've said before, comparing a Segway to a bike is like comparing iOS to Android or PolarBear to Windows 8.

What were your thoughts on the A2B? Was thinking of getting one of those.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #24
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noalox View Post
What were your thoughts on the A2B? Was thinking of getting one of those.

I tested their folding and their fixed versions of bikes.

The fixed one was of astonishingly high quality and performance, nice wheels, tires, seats, grips.

The folding one was not that great, but it had a lot of power.

Their prices aren't too bad, but I haven't had the opportunity to deal with their customer service/warranty department.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #25
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I believe they also have upgrades for motors. Did you try both? What was the power output like in hill climb situations?

Seems like they have a wide assortment of set-ups too. Do you know where they are manufactured/repaired?

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #26
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by noalox View Post
I believe they also have upgrades for motors. Did you try both? What was the power output like in hill climb situations?

Seems like they have a wide assortment of set-ups too. Do you know where they are manufactured/repaired?

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
I have not tested any of their "D.I.Y." motors yet.

They do have a few models, that's for sure. I believe they are mostly produced in China, but, they seem to be based in So Cal and I'd assume most repairs would be done there.
I personally haven't encountered any problems with them nor have I heard of anyone else experiencing them.

As I said earlier, they have a good amount of power, and on location of testing in Dana Point, California, where there are many hills, it did good.
Another thing to note though is the weight, their commuter is massive and some owners have even been pulled over due to their heavy resemblance to a modern day motorbike, the weight also means that the motors are working much harder, and I'll bet they could do a lot more if the bike was not so heavy.

If I were in the market for an electric bike, the A2B would be the one I'd get.
Their design reminds me very much of the Segway.

Good luck, any other questions, feel free to ask, I know most about e-bikes and their associative brands.

Cheers!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:24 AM   #27
kendall69
kendall69 can only hope to improve

5 yr Member

For me, the Segway usually LOSES in terms of convenience, utility, and versatility. I have a The Montague Paratrooper folding mountain electric bike.

I never ever get hassled by park rangers or police. I've has it on Ca. Beaches and never get thrown off. It fold in half so it fits in any car. Hits speeds of 30mph. If I want to peddle for exercise or get more miles out of it I can. If it dies I don't get thrown to the ground. If it dies I don't have to push it home.

Advantage all around goes to E-bikes.
Closed Thread

Tags
ebike