SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
rdinker
rdinker is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Hello from Bellevue, WA!

Hello from Bellevue, WA.

Had an opportunity to do Segway tour in Seattle earlier in the year and was instantly hooked. No car here - walk and bus to work and whatnot. Segway seemed like a perfect alternative for me. Been commuting to and from work for several weeks now (6 miles round trip) and loving every minute of it. Also great areas to explore in Bellevue and Mercer Island. Haven't seen any other Segways in use in this area other than mall police... hoping to find some other private owners out there somewhere!!

Cheers,

rb.
rdinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinker View Post
Hello from Bellevue, WA.

Had an opportunity to do Segway tour in Seattle earlier in the year and was instantly hooked. No car here - walk and bus to work and whatnot. Segway seemed like a perfect alternative for me. Been commuting to and from work for several weeks now (6 miles round trip) and loving every minute of it. Also great areas to explore in Bellevue and Mercer Island. Haven't seen any other Segways in use in this area other than mall police... hoping to find some other private owners out there somewhere!!

Cheers,

rb.
Welcome!

You've found the largest community of private Segway owners there is to find!
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Welcome! I went to college in Seattle. It's an awesome city.

How the heck did you get your Segway to Mercer Island? I forget, is that the floating bridge?
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
rdinker
rdinker is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Welcome!

You've found the largest community of private Segway owners there is to find!
Thanks Tritium. Finding all sorts of great info on this site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
Welcome! I went to college in Seattle. It's an awesome city.

How the heck did you get your Segway to Mercer Island? I forget, is that the floating bridge?
SegNerd - Yes, luckily there are some great bike paths that run through Bellevue, across i90 and through Mercer Island. I haven't actually done the floating bridge part over to Seattle yet as I'm still getting used to how far I can go on a change... but I'm thinking I can make it! The floating bridge itself is only about 1.5 miles. Will have to post photos if I do try!
rdinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinker View Post
Thanks Tritium. Finding all sorts of great info on this site!

SegNerd - Yes, luckily there are some great bike paths that run through Bellevue, across i90 and through Mercer Island. I haven't actually done the floating bridge part over to Seattle yet as I'm still getting used to how far I can go on a change... but I'm thinking I can make it! The floating bridge itself is only about 1.5 miles. Will have to post photos if I do try!
Thanks for the info. For some reason that floating bridge made me nervous even when riding the bus. Are you talking about the Burke-Gilman trail?
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segway in BOTHELL

WELCOME. Seeing a Segway in the wild is indeed rare around Puget Sound . . . at least for the non-tour private owner type. I'm in the Bothell area and have managed 2 sightings over ~2.8 years and 6300 miles.

For first year was also gliding to work, 13.5 miles round trip, but now work in Renton area . . . 24 miles one-way is a bit much for gliding . December-February did provide some cold/dark/wet/challenging trips.

Check out New Member Introductions thread New Owner = sort of for some notes on the past few years.

As a point of reference; house to Best-Buy is just over 11 miles one-way, last trip there they allowed me to charge for an hour while shopping . . . so I could get home. Point is meeting in Kirkland might give us a chance to increase our “in the wild sightings' scores and let you know you are not alone in Puget Sound.

Google Maps direction/bike seem to be very accurate on selecting travel routes and overall mileage calculations. My machine/gliding style and our hilly terrain provides ~21.x miles summer time and ~20.1 winter miles on a full charge.

TerryP (Kenmore area) and myself try to do an adventure now and then. Since you don't have car transportation maybe we can plan a Bellevue/Mercer Island adventure sometime as well. Warning . . . TerryP is a young at heart retired, while doing what if I retire next month calculations are a regular activity for me. Plus we're both hardware engineers!
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Heard my name mentioned...

Hi rdinker -

It's good to hear that there's another glider nearby, and I look forward to meeting you, and to arranging a group ride. There are/were other owners in the area too, but I haven't seen postings from them in quite some time.

Glide safely!

Terry

Tags
bellevue, seattle, wa