SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Well you will not be able to fly with a gen II, that's why I think it's a non-starter.

BTW, sent you a PM with my phone number, give me a buzz

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #12
JW Hunter
JW Hunter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Haz Mat certification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
The P-133 may not be your cup of tea, as the i180/170/167 are just a wee bit bigger but have interchangeable chemistry for the batteries ( think shipping the Li-On and airplaning the nimh!)
And a much longer range capability.

If you looked hard enough, you could find a used gen 2 for around $3500 or a bit more.
Gen 1s usually go for around $2000!

It's in my most honest opinion that you should go with a gen 2, because not only are the parts and machines still made, but they also have many advantages.
You can't ship Li-On batteries unattached unless you're Haz Mat certified.
And I'm not sure what advantages the gen 2 offer, especially for the disabled, that's certainly not my experience. If your left hand is unimpaired I think you'd enjoy the stability of the rigid control shaft.

You should try both, but being unable to fly with the gen 2 makes it a second choice in my opinion.
JW Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
mjkwee
mjkwee is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
The P-133 may not be your cup of tea, as the i180/170/167 are just a wee bit bigger but have interchangeable chemistry for the batteries ( think shipping the Li-On and airplaning the nimh!)
And a much longer range capability.

If you looked hard enough, you could find a used gen 2 for around $3500 or a bit more.
Gen 1s usually go for around $2000!

It's in my most honest opinion that you should go with a gen 2, because not only are the parts and machines still made, but they also have many advantages.
You made some good and valid points for Gen 2 consideration.
Thanks.
mjkwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #14
mjkwee

5 yr Member

Jason,
This is an interesting option. This can certainly help in long gliding tours and can bridge the gap between having a wheelchair and just a standing Segway.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Michael
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have to agree. It is very difficult for anyone to give qualified advice as to which model is better without a great deal more information on both your challenges and your needs.

Any discussion should begin with encouragement to try both generations of machines. This is a very personal choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile Advice...

Hi mjkwee,

I am a MS'er w/ walking mobility issues in one leg. I got my Seg a few months back. I agree w/ KSagal to try out a couple before buying. I took a couple of tours to see if I had stamina to ride, 2 hours of the tours and I'm physically done, but I did it. The tours used x2's, very wide and stable. Did a little more research and when I went to purchase I got an i2; in CA this classifies me as a pedestrian still and in my one door entry was very comfortable, the x2's are as wide as a standard door and I've seen them rub. I am thinking of getting knobby tires because I do like outdoor trails. But, overall, it has opened a world that was to difficult for me to explore by myself and my family. I hope a Seg works out for you, it has reinvigorated mine. Good Luck!!
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #17
JM Wilber
JM Wilber is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I use a i2 the lean steering natural reactions, there are batteries out there for the I2 out of nickel cadmium (so. calif. IE) I don't know if there still do

orange county Segway has used machine
Segway of Oakland has used machine too (go there and make sure you get everything in the deal be for you go)

the up side of a segway dealer is they have giving me a guarantee
JM Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
mjkwee

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post
Hi mjkwee,

I am a MS'er w/ walking mobility issues in one leg. I got my Seg a few months back. I agree w/ KSagal to try out a couple before buying. I took a couple of tours to see if I had stamina to ride, 2 hours of the tours and I'm physically done, but I did it. The tours used x2's, very wide and stable. Did a little more research and when I went to purchase I got an i2; in CA this classifies me as a pedestrian still and in my one door entry was very comfortable, the x2's are as wide as a standard door and I've seen them rub. I am thinking of getting knobby tires because I do like outdoor trails. But, overall, it has opened a world that was to difficult for me to explore by myself and my family. I hope a Seg works out for you, it has reinvigorated mine. Good Luck!!
Thank you. I share your mobility issue. I will take the initial advice to try one first. I am looking forward to meeting up with Jeff, who was kind have me try his Segway. I have very basic issues i need to understand my challenges with even getting on and off with one hand and how stable can I stand to operate the Segway. Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
mjkwee

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Wilber View Post
I use a i2 the lean steering natural reactions, there are batteries out there for the I2 out of nickel cadmium (so. calif. IE) I don't know if there still do

Segway of Oakland has used machine too (go there and make sure you get everything in the deal be for you go)

JM, Oakland is closer to me. I think the lean steering sounds like a good consideration. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Wilber View Post

I have never heard of this before. Do you have any information on this?

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote