SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #131
goldwing_midland_tx
goldwing_midland_tx is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Heading up to test tmw
Look forward to hear about the results
Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #132
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing_midland_tx View Post
Look forward to hear about the results
I do too, I'm skeptical but hopefully if it works out, I'll have another PT to use
I may even become a dealer, who knows...
Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #133
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
I do too, I'm skeptical but hopefully if it works out, I'll have another PT to use
I may even become a dealer, who knows...
Even if you look at it and decide it is not for you, please take lots of pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #134
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Even if you look at it and decide it is not for you, please take lots of pictures.
I definitely will it will be a very interesting product take a look at!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #135
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink Patents - something to think about

Patents have 'almost' as much to do with 'business' as they do with 'technicals'.

Segway ( DEKA ) clearly holds a number of strong patents.

Almost any real business would hesitate to try to import and distribute an infringing product.
After all is said and done, if pursued by the patent holder, substantial assets could be lost.

In my view, the only potential distributors of this class of product, would be a distributor ( person or business ) with little assets to lose.
That in itself, makes them a dubious distributor, with a dubious prospect of long term support.

In a nut shell, 'would you bet your house' that distributing a Robin class product is of such high merit and potential profit ?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #136
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

All this talk about Segway's patents has me thinking that we may not be looking at this the same way as the rest of the planet.

This is SegwayChat. We all here love Segways. We all have some allegiance and respect for the Segway company. Most of us are owners, or at least wanna be owners of segways.

But on a global scale, whatever we think of our selves, and our size, and how big a fish we are, the Segway world is just a small puddle. The biggest fish in the segway world is a minnow in a large lake, forget about the ocean.

The reason I keep mentioning the Toyota Winglet, is not just because I believe that the robin is a much clearer rip off of the winglet than the segway. (OF course, the winglet may easily be a rip off of the Segway, but I have not heard of it being mass produced or sold to the public)

In the world of big fish, I believe the legal department at Toyota may have more sharks than the legal department of Segway, and I believe the makers of the Robin may care more about that. I don't know.

My understanding of the Chinese business model is that it gives little credence to the ownership of intellectual property. This would include anyone's patents. If they do not care if they are marketing something that belongs to someone else, then their only care would be who could fund the largest opposition.

Also, as I am fairly ignorant to these things, how long to patent protections last? Are they forever? Or do they have sunset clauses?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #137
PaulDV
PaulDV is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

There appears to be one very large assumption being made by most of the detractors in this thread which is that Robstep have actually infringed Segways patents.

A self balancing scooter cannot be patented (just like you cannot patent motor car) while the method by which it works can. So, surely it is entirely possible for a competitor to devise their own self balancing scooter (I actually like the French word 'gyropode' as a generic term) using a different method thereby avoiding a patent infringement?

Either way, I would refrain from calling the Robin a knock-off until it is proven one way or the other.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #138
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Also, as I am fairly ignorant to these things, how long to patent protections last? Are they forever? Or do they have sunset clauses?
In the US, it's 20 years from filing.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #139
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDV View Post
There appears to be one very large assumption being made by most of the detractors in this thread which is that Robstep have actually infringed Segways patents.

A self balancing scooter cannot be patented (just like you cannot patent motor car) while the method by which it works can. So, surely it is entirely possible for a competitor to devise their own self balancing scooter (I actually like the French word 'gyropode' as a generic term) using a different method thereby avoiding a patent infringement?

Either way, I would refrain from calling the Robin a knock-off until it is proven one way or the other.
That's not really accurate. Even your own logic fails -- consider describing it as "a scooter which works by self-balancing".

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...faq-29120.html

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #140
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
That's not really accurate. Even your own logic fails -- consider describing it as "a scooter which works by self-balancing".

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...faq-29120.html
I must agree, that wasn't well thought out.

- But this is a community forum, we shouldn't be arguing over other companies products, we should be discussing them without all the hate and anger. -

Last edited by Tritium; 06-28-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Tags
cheap segway, segway, segway alternative, segways for sale