SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:45 AM   #11
Dragan
Dragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant future

5 yr Member

Hey Raymo! Good to see you found the site, and the BEST source of info for all things Segway! There are a great bunch of really knowledgeable folks here, and don't forget, I'm only a phone call away too!

Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca
Dragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
Raymo
Raymo

5 yr Member

Thanks Wayne, for the lead to this site. Joy & Jeff have beeen a great help.
Raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
schlaaj
schlaaj

5 yr Member

Rentals, Rentals, Rentals, I am wondering how people are getting into the Segway Rental Business and not seem concerned about liability insurance. I was wound up to get into a rental niche earlier this year but cooled on the idea because I could not find liability coverage. I have had agents search
and they came up empty handed. A friend who is in the insurance business advised me because there is no track record on liability claims for such rentals, if a company could be found the cost would most likely be astronomical. Yet according to this chat site, people seem to either ignore liability or they have some "other" way to protect themselves. I can't imagine running a rental business without liability insurance.

Comments ??

AJS
schlaaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:55 AM   #14
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Most have rental insurance, or are covered under an existing policy on another aspect of their business. Your friend didn't do a sufficiently thorough search, unfortunately. Maybe he only looked at the companies he sells. Also, there may be a difference between renting HTs like renting cars vs renting HTs for tours.

That said, there are places that work without insurance - IMHO they're taking their livelihoods into their own hands, and also the livelihoods of the rest of the renter/tour operators who do have insurance <sigh>. As we get further and further along and there are more tour and rental agencies that open up, that risk assessment will become available.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:55 PM   #15
Billy Kirkland
Billy Kirkland is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Went before the planning department today for final vote for segway tours. We will have the permit in about two days. My wife and I will be leaving on June 2 for Lake Tahoe; we will start the tours when we get back June 9. The question for insurance was very easy. The same company that I have had coverage with for now 15 plus years wrote my coverage for tours only the price was 3,500 for the first hundred thousand in tours. That is for 1,000,000.00 coverage if I can help anyone please let me know

Billy Kirkland
"your fun in the expert"
Billy Kirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:42 PM   #16
Markiss
Markiss

5 yr Member

Billy,
Just wanted to say publicly that I appreciate your willingness to help a "wannabe". Thanks for the phone call and the offer of assistance as we move forward. Best to you.
Mark
Markiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:04 PM   #17
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Billy, try to make a stop in Truckee and Reno while there.

Truckee would make a great summertime Segway riding area.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/
Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #18
schlaaj
schlaaj

5 yr Member

Thanks for the info on liability insurance. I actually had two insurance agents do some checking and both were willing to look beyond their normal contacts for me. From what I have noted, it seems "Tours" are the one way an insurance company might write a policy. Unfortunately, it is "Rentals" that I want to get into. So I am still at square one.
Thanks to all for your comments.

Art Schlachter

AJS
schlaaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:10 AM   #19
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Well, and only you will know your area and what it will bear and what the population is, but I will say that HTs are still so new and somewhat lightweight, that they're really vulnerable to theft. We've had at least one rental agency on the chat asking us to be alert to stolen segs. When they get a lot more ubiquitous, then the "new' will be worn off and I think there will be fewer thefts. (like bicycle rentals in resort areas now).
JMHO.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:58 AM   #20
Itsi Atkins
Itsi Atkins is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Try Diamond Insurance out of Philly.
Itsi Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote