SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Question Says who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Why are there so many Mac users here?
In the "real" world, there of lots of people who use Macs and even more who use PCs. What makes you think the balance is different to the norm on Segwaychat? I'd expect the distribution to be similar. Only once we know what the distribution is should we pose such a question.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default do a poll

A poll would tell you what you want to know

How many SC members are PC

And how many are MAC

And how many are both!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
In the "real" world, there of lots of people who use Macs and even more who use PCs. What makes you think the balance is different to the norm on Segwaychat? I'd expect the distribution to be similar. Only once we know what the distribution is should we pose such a question.
Naw, we can pose the question. But without any evidence it differs here from the world at large, we're just asking about the world at large AND about whether SegwayChat differs from the world at large.

But there's another factor -- Mac users are more likely to talk about owning a Mac. Some are fans, and some just because Macs are less ubiquitous, it's more worth mentioning.

And, likewise, on the reader's side, we're more likely to notice a Mac mention than a PC mention.

So anywhere you go, I suspect you'll find that Mac mentions appear to be over-represented.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsiskos View Post
another issue is that most pc users are probably a little intimidated by the macs os and how it runs rather differently than a pc's.

since pc's were at one time better than macs they gained a larger following but now that macs are equal if not better, they fear the transition and so decide to stick with the familiar os
Which is entirely reasonable. The cost of switching in relearning time is considerable, and you'll end up giving up a lot of familiar tools, and purchasing a lot of software for purposes for which you already own software.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
pc's are generally the cheaper more average joe choice. they do what you tell them and get the work done.

but macs on the other hand truly are superior. they are virtually virus proof, have roughly a 30 second boot time, and generally have far more user friendly programing than your everyday pc.

but to be honest, macs are aimed at a different goal than pc's are. pc's are for office work and records while macs are for more artistic and creative things like architecture and computer graphics and such.
the only reason windows got the huge gamer rep is because pc's have more users simply because there cheaper and therefor will have more gamers.

but most people will agree that once you try a mac, youll never go bac.
i suppose this is similar to how anyone who tries a segway is instantly addicted becouse it is such a natural way to move
Okay, 'Cheaper, more average Joe choice, but macs are truly superior'... I do not begrudge your own opinions at all, but these are opinions, not facts, and I tend to disagree.

Quote:
another issue is that most pc users are probably a little intimidated by the macs os and how it runs rather differently than a pc's.

since pc's were at one time better than macs they gained a larger following but now that macs are equal if not better, they fear the transition and so decide to stick with the familiar os
I cannot say if this is accurate or not, and I don't think you have much evidence to support it either, but it is another valid opinion... And an opinion that I find a bit arrogant, and clearly not what I believe to be accurate for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
The title of the thread is a bit misleading, if you feel I was saying that there are more mac users than PC users here... I was not. I was saying that there is a level of fanaticism that Macs attract, and I was postulating that segways do as well... I do not know if there are more mac users here or not, I do know that those I know here and other places are quite full of themselves when it comes to Macs, and their choice to use them, and that their choice is beyond a personal one, to where they prostilitise the use of Macs all the time...

The comments that they are for the 'average joe' and that he is likely to be intimidated by macs just prove this point... While I am using one person's posts as examples, this is by no means about that one person. I find those posts to be exactly what I was talking about, and very much representative of the topic of this thread, and was not intended as a personal criticism at all... I surely hope that no offense is taken, as none is intended.

I have found that the average segway enthusiast is very defensive of people questioning their choice. They have a tendency to tout the fact that they are superior to any comparison that another may offer up. I have found a similar perspective with Mac users... For that matter, I have felt the same vibe from those who own a corvette as well.

Just for the record, I have also felt that vibe in other places as well, but to differing degrees. To a degree, skydivers have a touch, as well as many enthusiasts for many out of the mainstream sports, like hardcore mountain climbers, hangliders, skuba diving shark fishermen, and most of the folks that would add nitro to their 60's muscle cars...

So, has anyone else detected a commonality amongst those who like macs and segways?

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #16
budsiskos
budsiskos is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

[QUOTE=KSagal;195639]Okay, 'Cheaper, more average Joe choice, but macs are truly superior'... I do not begrudge your own opinions at all, but these are opinions, not facts, and I tend to disagree.[/COLOR]

I cannot say if this is accurate or not, and I don't think you have much evidence to support it either, but it is another valid opinion... And an opinion that I find a bit arrogant, and clearly not what I believe to be accurate for me.

well i am a converted mac user and do find them superior by all accounts so forgive me for being a little prejudice.
budsiskos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:05 AM   #17
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
That is not the Macintosh of today.
I wonder if the kids of today are even aware that their trendy Mac is actually a Macintosh... not quite the trendy heritage they may expect.

Quote:
Microsoft has a horrible problem with drivers, because they, by comparison, exercise so little control over their hardware and software ecosystem. They've tightened things up, and it's gotten better, but I think it's also created a lot of Mac users.
You have hit on the big difference for me between the two systems. Macs limit what you can install in the box - and previously not let you put anything in the box. Windows will let you put pretty much any hardware in the box and will work - if you have the drivers (and a lot of times you don't even need them). So, Macs restrict your options and this tighter controlled environment makes it more reliable. A "PC" approach means you want graphics card x and sound card y - because they suit your needs - then great - just buy a motherboard that supports them - most will. But if you are talking off-the-shelf products, then these decisions have already been made for you, and you shouldn't have any hardware reliability issues. I have several Dell machines in work which are left on for weeks on end - they are not servers as such, but will regularly dip into power save/hibernation etc., and they come back and work well. No reboots required. Bob - your mileage will vary - and because the chances are your kit is so different to my kit, I'm not sure the comparison is worth while. It's all anecdotal. But, they say variety is the spice of life. And I don't just mean different colours...

Quote:
Naw, we can pose the question. But without any evidence it differs here from the world at large, we're just asking about the world at large AND about whether SegwayChat differs from the world at large.
Karl has stated the topic title was misleading. I just saw the topic and quickly replied. My bad. If I'd have taken the time to read the thread in full, I would have realised what it was really about. But I'm not fond of supposition.

Quote:
But there's another factor -- Mac users are more likely to talk about owning a Mac. Some are fans, and some just because Macs are less ubiquitous, it's more worth mentioning.
Bingo! When was the last time I proudly announced I use as PC and they are better? When was the last time we heard from a Mac user stating they are better than PC... for some reason, Mac users are "mac and proud" That's fine. Whatever floats your boat.

I use Windows because it works for me and my way of life. My skill sets are in this area, most employers seem to use the technology, I go where the work is. I'm sure Macs are good and all but there is no compelling reason to make the switch. And for people to tell me Macs are better... well, I'll be the judge of what is best for me.

I don't see that there is any link between Segway users and Mac users. I don't tell cyclists that using a Segway is better because... x y or z. Using a Segway is just different in many ways - ways which work for me. It is not inherently better. It does not link to my choice in computer hardware. PCs are for some and not others. Are the bicycle forums full of PC users? Apple has great marketing (it needs it - it's cool status is a result of it's own marketing puff) - Segways don't have any cool status. Why would they be linked? I don't get it. But that would not be the first time...

Last edited by gbrandwood; 07-04-2009 at 05:12 AM..
gbrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:40 AM   #18
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I laughed when I read your post. I was that soldier! But, to be fair...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Now let's get to the fun part... Hook up a printer to a Windows machine. I did this yesterday (again) so I know of what I speak.

Mac via USB. Hook up the printer choose add printer. It finds the HP-460 and is ready to print.

Windows via USB. Hook up the printer choose add printer. Choose have disk. Find the disk, put it into the CD Rom drive. Print.
The proper approach in Windows would be insert the CD that came with your printer - it will autorun. Click install printer driver. Plug printer when when prompted. Job done. Now, Windows does have a huge number of built in drivers for printers. Quite often you can use a standard driver without using a disk but it's always best to use the software that came with the printer.

Quote:
Network Printer...

Mac: Choose Add Printer. Click on the printer name, click OK. Print

Windows: Choose Add Printer. Choose Local Printer (even though it's on the network). Create a "virtual port". Print out a self test page on the printer to get the IP address. Enter the IP address of the printer in the virtual port field. Print.
With a properly configured network and network printer, you can add it by selecting find and it will list all network printers. Select the printer and the printer will install, complete with drivers etc (if a print server is involved and the drivers are not already on the host the print server will deliver them).
Quote:
How about hooking an Video Projector to a laptop...

Mac -> connect the projector. Watch the powerpoint

PC -> connect the projector. Hit function F5, try F7, hrm... Try F5 again. Close the lid on your laptop. Open it up. Watch the powerpoint.
Each laptop may use a different function key I'll give you that - but they are all clearly marked and usually one of the function keys (F7 on my laptop) and as I tend to only use one laptop (i.e. mine), I quickly figured out which button to use. Then, the toggling is actually a feature. Quite often when you set up a Powerpoint event you plug everything in but the show isn't ready to start so the projector shouldn't be projecting what's on the screen (as you get things ready etc.). When you are ready, you toggle the screen on. But, you can choose whether you have the projector on and no laptop, projector on AND laptop on and finally just the laptop on. So I don't see any problems here. What do you do on your Mac if don't want to view the laptop screen on the projector? Is there a software switch or do you unplug?
Quote:
It's the hundreds of little things that the Mac (and OSX) just get right.
I'm sure it does. And I'm sure they do a few of the big things right too.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes
Now let's get to the fun part... Hook up a printer to a Windows machine. I did this yesterday (again) so I know of what I speak.

Mac via USB. Hook up the printer choose add printer. It finds the HP-460 and is ready to print.
In 10.6, you don't even need to add the printer, just take your document/whatever, press cmd+p (or file->print), and select the printer.
If it have recognized a non-installed printer, it will have it on the list, and if you choose it, it will ask to install (and if it doesn't have the drivers, go online and find them for you).

That feature is really nice (Even though i had no clue it was there before i tried to print after i had installed a newer Snow Leopard build...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes
Network Printer...

Mac: Choose Add Printer. Click on the printer name, click OK. Print
Works for network printers too (It was a network printer i tried it on...

Remember, built-in drivers supplied by the printer vendors, so that's not Apple that should be blamed, same if a driver isn't included in Windows.
What i'm pointing out is just ease of installation (Even though, it doesn't require a Ph.D in Windows either )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood
Windows will let you put pretty much any hardware in the box and will work - if you have the drivers (and a lot of times you don't even need them).
No, that's not Windows letting you put it in, that's the vendor remembering to write a driver
They could also have written drivers of OS X, but they decided not to (Maybe lack of interest, lack of knowledge about developing a kext, lack of market-share for the product for Macs).
That's not the OS you should blame here, but the vendor of the hardware that is lacking support.

Quote:
Each laptop may use a different function key I'll give you that - but they are all clearly marked and usually one of the function keys (F7 on my laptop) and as I tend to only use one laptop (i.e. mine), I quickly figured out which button to use. Then, the toggling is actually a feature. Quite often when you set up a Powerpoint event you plug everything in but the show isn't ready to start so the projector shouldn't be projecting what's on the screen (as you get things ready etc.). When you are ready, you toggle the screen on. But, you can choose whether you have the projector on and no laptop, projector on AND laptop on and finally just the laptop on. So I don't see any problems here. What do you do on your Mac if don't want to view the laptop screen on the projector? Is there a software switch or do you unplug?
I'm actually not sure, never had to turn the screen off... But i actually don't think you can deactivate the built-in screen like that... Why would you do that anyway?

Quote:
I'm sure it does. And I'm sure they do a few of the big things right too
Haha, yeah, there's a couple of things

Karl, as a MacBook Pro owner, i can tell you that "Once you go Mac, you never go back" is partly true...
I never use anything but my MacBook Pro, except when SSH'ing into my server (Which is a PC, running Ubuntu (BSD lacked hardware support for 3 of the NIC's :/)), which would count as PC use.
Also, i find that fanaticism almost always comes with small amount of adopters... Like Google Android, and the Segway PT...

As a last thing, i think OS X (And most 'nix's) are Windows superior.
I also think the hardware is way higher quality (And again, when comparing prices, remember to compare the MBP with equal size/weight/material laptops... Glass screen, full-aluminium body, stuff like that... It all adds to the price), but that's all my opinion. I'm not trying to tell people to switch, they have their opinions, i have mine
And yeah, the price is a huge minus... I paid $4k for my 17"MBP :/

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.

Last edited by Joushou; 07-04-2009 at 12:53 PM..
Joushou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joushou View Post
No, that's not Windows letting you put it in, that's the vendor remembering to write a driver
Point taken - but Windows has great out of the box driver support and Microsoft have developed a large number of those drivers themselves - albiet I guess some in collaboration with the hardware manufacturers. I can't provide conclusive proof of this but a lot of the drivers on my current PC say manufacturer = "Microsoft", if that is anything to go by. Not too sure.

Quote:
They could also have written drivers of OS X, but they decided not to (Maybe lack of interest, lack of knowledge about developing a kext, lack of market-share for the product for Macs).
Probably all of the above.
Quote:
That's not the OS you should blame here, but the vendor of the hardware that is lacking support.
I'm not blaming anyone - I'm just pointing out how it is. They choose what they do and they've decided to develop for Microsoft.

Quote:
I'm actually not sure, never had to turn the screen off... But i actually don't think you can deactivate the built-in screen like that... Why would you do that anyway?
Well, one thing is you have the choice. Second reason - the choices are quite useful. I don't do lots of presentations - but there's always the part of the meeting or whatever where you are talking and the screen shouldn't be doing anything interesting at that point. Being able to to toggle is useful, for example where the resolution of the projector is different to the resolution of the laptop (e.g. widescreen laptops etc.) so you can turn off your laptop and utilise the native resolution of the projector - whatever - you have the choice. I like choices. Sometimes you change speaker in the middle and they may need to configure their demo... don't want to see your lovely wall paper in the background during the changeover... I'm not saying these choices are brilliant or anything - but sometimes "simple" isn't enough.
Quote:
As a last thing, i think OS X (And most 'nix's) are Windows superior.
Each to their own I guess. Do you believe they are superiour for you - or for everyone?