SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seright View Post
My spouse and I have AT&T Tilts, also 3G, and feel much the same way. We actually tried and tested the iPhone and returned them to go with the Tilt.

Bill Seright
I'm glad you guys are having a good experience. I had the predecessor to the Tilt -- and I literally was counting down the days until I could replace it with an iPhone.

I'd really like to know what the difference is. It could be self-inflicted through add-on apps -- but I've got a gadzillion add-on apps on my new iPhone, and sometimes they crash, but they never take the phone with them.

The phone just works. My biggest complaint with the previous HTC phone was that it would fail to inform me of calls. Sometimes it would ring just once and go to voicemail. Sometimes not ring at all, and inform me days later of the missed call. Likewise, voicemail. And the ATT voicemail itself was one of the most painful to use I've encountered, and with all the other issues, I'd get tons of junk voicemails to wade through.

So replacing that horror show with Visual Voicemail was a clear winner. But you know what? I have yet to get a single voicemail!. Because I've been able to answer all but one call, and she didn't leave a voicemail!

I hadn't realized the problems with receiving calls were that bad, or that a new phone would make that much of a difference. I've spoken to someone who'd been trying to reach me directly for a long time... he got me first time.

So when my daughter called me this afternoon, and I was on the other side of the office, not only did I have time to dash across the office (on my Segway, of course!), I actually got there in time -- I just hadn't internalized the right way to answer it when it's locked, so I missed by one second. I was hoping she'd leave voicemail, but....

So maybe I didn't need better voicemail, just a better phone!

But anyway -- the iPhone has something which really has me intrigued -- it has accelerometers. And apps can make use of them. There's an app called Dynolicious which I'm looking forward to trying out on a Segway.

It doesn't have any way to directly measure tilt, though. You'd need either rotation sensors, or at least four spacially-separated accelerometers. For less dynamic applications, it can detect tilt by comparison with gravity.

But I don't think it's quite enough to make a simulated Segway app!

It does make a pretty good clinometer, however.

It also has GPS built in, which is pretty common these days, including on the tilt. Between GPS and accelerometers, you should be able to get very precise track and performance data on your Segway journeys!

There's getting to be a long list of things I could gripe about -- including copy-and-paste -- but it has the basics right -- it's a phone that's solidly a phone, AND an iPod that's solidly an iPod, etc. Even better, it's also a really good mobile hand-held computing platform.

I wish I could replace Safari with Chrome for robustness, but it does a pretty good job of working well on the small screen, in both portrait and landscape modes.

Anyway, Segways, phones, GPS and accelerometers... what should we do with THAT combo? Ideas?
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Anyway, Segways, phones, GPS and accelerometers... what should we do with THAT combo? Ideas?
I've thought that it would be cool to have an app where you can transmit your location to other seggers as you ride around -- and you can see where other seggers are in real time.

Segway riders is just one such social group that might use the service. There could be groups for DeLorean owners, Harley riders, geocachers, singles on the prowl, or whatever.

There is a service called www.mymovingmap.com that will let you track one person at a time like that. I guess the server load and throughput for keeping the iPhone map up-to-date (especially if it had dozens or thousands of points) is the technical bottleneck at the moment but I predict that a whole industry will pop up around this kind of application. All I want is my royalty.

-Bob
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
jrwilcox
jrwilcox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default Check out Loopt

There is also a service called Loopt which runs on some of the high end cell phones. I use it on my iPhone.

Loopt

Jim

"I'd much rather be happy than right any day."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
jrwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Cool Loopt sounds like not only is Big Brother Watching

but little sister, uncles aunts and everyone for that matter.

Not sure I want people know where I am (or worse yet my cell phone) at all times of the day and night!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #15
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
but little sister, uncles aunts and everyone for that matter.

Not sure I want people know where I am (or worse yet my cell phone) at all times of the day and night!
I prefer to be ninja like and stealthy, which is why I avoid location aware services all together
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking I have to say though

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
I prefer to be ninja like and stealthy, which is why I avoid location aware services all together
-segsurfer
It sounds like the perfect app for parents of teenagers, (especailly a teenage son who rides a Segway, and has Miller girls in his corner!) NO QUESTION, that app would be installed on his phone and coded so he could not turn it off.

Then the parents could call him and embarass him!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
It sounds like the perfect app for parents of teenagers, (especailly a teenage son who rides a Segway, and has Miller girls in his corner!) NO QUESTION, that app would be installed on his phone and coded so he could not turn it off.

iPhone apps cannot currently run in the background.
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #18
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

My iPhone has been great for me, although I realize it hasn't been the same for everyone.

So are you sure you are running the latest firmware (version 2.2 at this writing)? Have you had a chance to talk to a Genius at all?

What exactly is happening with your e-mail? Do you get any error messages, or do you just never see any new mail? Do you have multiple e-mail accounts, and if so, do they all have the same problem? Are you sure your iPhone has a working data connection while this is going on? (As in, does Safari Mobile work, and do you see an "E," a WiFi icon, or a GPRS dot at the top of your screen?)
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:40 AM   #19
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

Quote:

Except when said teenage son can outwit said parents phone hacks by using various assorted counter measures, the likes of which he will never reveal.
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #20
sfrantz
sfrantz is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Love my iphone

My iphone works great. It is so much better than my previous smart phones (most recently a Treo 700p).

I've never had a problem with email or phone calls, but I don't do that many calls. Mostly I do the web.

I don't like Apple's extreme control over the platform, but that does ensure everything works.

Steve

(just thought I'd chip in)
sfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote