SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
Hmmm, I'm betting you'll be able to buy the Flextreme without the segways. Though I'll also bet that you'll be able to get a sweet deal from Segway INC for a pair of segways if you're a Flextreme owner. Maybe even as little as $8K for the pair, eh?

So maybe I should take you up on your offer....I'll put up $80. Then if I'm truly right on all counts, it'll be you buying my segways for my Flextreme! 8^) 8^) 8^)
Steve --

Romantic as that may sound, it's just unrealistic.

Why would anyone design and build a car and leave THAT much cargo space devoted to a very specific aftermarket product? The space is just to "weird" to be used for almost anything else. Also, remember that a "stock" Segway i2 doesn't fit.

Just doesn't make sense.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Steve --

Why would anyone design and build a car and leave THAT much cargo space devoted to a very specific aftermarket product? The space is just to "weird" to be used for almost anything else. Also, remember that a "stock" Segway i2 doesn't fit.

Just doesn't make sense.
I have confidence in our DIY owners! They'll make it fit (or at least make p133's fit)!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Steve --

Just doesn't make sense.
And what's to say that INC may not offer an alternative LSF so current Segway owners can use their units within the space?

Right now you are on the hook for $18,000...wonder if anybody else is going to jump on board?

Of course, SC is now running a gambling joint so problems may arise there!

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Again, let's revisit what we're talking about here.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/Fle...Segway/2563786

/sigh

You're just never going to see that in production.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #15
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Again, let's revisit what we're talking about here.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/Fle...Segway/2563786

/sigh

You're just never going to see that in production.
Maybe we will, maybe we won't. One way I'm up $10,000, the other I'm down $100. Which do you think I'm rooting for?

Steven
Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

You guys may want to put some sort of a timeframe on this bet. Otherwize, somebody's grand kids are going to be doing some archival work, and then go looking for someone else's grandkids for a big payoff...

As far as my experience with concept vehicles, even the most successful ones, they rarely make it to production intact. Mostly, this piece gets used here, that piece gets used there, this idea gets modified and used on that thing in a third place...

Occationally, a final product does come out that somewhat resembles the concept vehicle, but that is not usually the first commercial use of the concepts in the concept vehicle.

Still, it would be my pleasure to see a need to payoff that $18K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #17
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
You guys may want to put some sort of a timeframe on this bet. Otherwize, somebody's grand kids are going to be doing some archival work, and then go looking for someone else's grandkids for a big payoff...

As far as my experience with concept vehicles, even the most successful ones, they rarely make it to production intact. Mostly, this piece gets used here, that piece gets used there, this idea gets modified and used on that thing in a third place...

Occationally, a final product does come out that somewhat resembles the concept vehicle, but that is not usually the first commercial use of the concepts in the concept vehicle.

Still, it would be my pleasure to see a need to payoff that $18K.
Dang it Karl, you took my secret "weapon" and revealed it. I figured I had 20+ years to work towards product deployment. Now it'll be shortened...

Steven
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 AM   #18
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Coupling an EPAMD with a car purchase would make such accessories mainstream... The Flexstream p2's might become the most common form of Segway.

SEGsby

Quote:
Steve --

Just doesn't make sense.
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 AM   #19
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
Coupling an EPAMD with a car purchase would make such accessories mainstream... The Flexstream p2's might become the most common form of Segway.
I'm still waiting for the Flexstreme bus which carries 18 segways in the underfloor storage. Once commuters adopt this transportation solution, segways will truly be mainstream!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:08 AM   #20
quade

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
I'm still waiting for the Flexstreme bus which carries 18 segways in the underfloor storage. Once commuters adopt this transportation solution, segways will truly be mainstream!
Hmmm . . . that kinda seems like a waste of concept.

What might be more interesting would be a bus-like vehicle that you ride your Segway into, it docks into place and then you're able to sit down on some sort of seat. This wouldn't require the bus or driver to do anything "exceptional" other than opening the normal passenger door an wouldn't slow down the forward progress of the bus any more than a "normal" walking passenger. This same concept should also be adapted to trains and subways.

A separate storage bay would require FAR too much time to accommodate the Segway rider to stow and retrive the device. The "normal" passengers would toss fits.

The way to make it mainstream is to subtly change the infrastructure to accommodate the devices without disturbing or delaying its "normal" operations.