SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Beg to differ, Pam. It wasn't half OT at its start. I was simply providing a little "early adopter" background color by mentioning Macs in my initial post. ;-)

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
byped
byped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member
Default That's it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
Well, it was half OT at its start . I'm not sure why, but we have a lot of members who love both HTs and Macs.
Pam

I'm compelled to purchase a segway...now I know why!
byped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #13
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

So are you poised to purchase the rumored new Intel-Powermac, or whatever they're going to call it?

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
Old 07-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
byped
byped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member
Default One or the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayDan
So are you poised to purchase the rumored new Intel-Powermac, or whatever they're going to call it?
My trusty G4 iMac is still holding out. I'll wait till next year be for I spring for a new one... but still probably just another iMac (Intel Dual Core).

I would expect that the new powermacs will be more of the same in comparision to the iMac line. A better bus, drives and greater expansion capabilities. This home run would be a multiprocessor configuration out of the gates. Right now a dual G5 is pretty quick... much more so than any Intel iMac right now.
byped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:15 AM   #15
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Well, from all the techie sites, Apple has been waiting for the Core 2 Duo to be placed in the pro lineup. OS X is capable of handling up to 16 microprocessors concurrently, and quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple had just one "way out there" model with 8 or more processors for Final Cut, or other pro level apps... that would be insane, and expensive.

But as byped said, a dual G5 is pretty darn fast, especially if one doesn't really care about binary apps. I have everything I need... at least for the next few years.

Sal
Old 07-23-2006, 06:32 AM   #16
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

I've been debating jumping back into the Apple world. I started as an Apple user, shifted over to the so-called "Dark Side (Windows) in the late 80's, and have only dabbled in the Apple world since then (although my mother would only use Macs).

With the new Intel processors being able to run native Windows (a feature I recently tried) there is little reason for me NOT to switch. The one drawback is my more than 8 years of e-mails that I have archived. Sure, I don't ever go back more than 6 or 8 months but even that type of research would be a pain for a while.

BTW, if I make the jump, I'm looking at a MacBook PRO, 15" screen.....sweet machine!

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #17
Sal
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Steven,

I would wait a couple of months. The MacBook Pro is about to see a significant speed bump.

-Sal

As far as porting over emails... Apple Mail and other Mac-based email programs have filters and converters for most major windows based email apps. I don't think you'll have to worry about getting your documents / emails over to the Mac.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #18
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg
I've been debating jumping back into the Apple world. I started as an Apple user, shifted over to the so-called "Dark Side (Windows) in the late 80's, and have only dabbled in the Apple world since then (although my mother would only use Macs).

With the new Intel processors being able to run native Windows (a feature I recently tried) there is little reason for me NOT to switch. The one drawback is my more than 8 years of e-mails that I have archived. Sure, I don't ever go back more than 6 or 8 months but even that type of research would be a pain for a while.

BTW, if I make the jump, I'm looking at a MacBook PRO, 15" screen.....sweet machine!

Steven
Listen to your mother! There's some obvious wisdom there. ;-)

With Parallels Desktop just released it seems that you'd be able to have a pretty fully-featured Windows setup on a new Intel Mac without having to re-boot between "sides."

Another timely event is the Apple Developer conference which convenes next month, at which time the new OS 10.5, Leopard, will be unveiled. I wouldn't be surprised to learn of enhanced Windows operability.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 07-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #19
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

One of the reasons I was going to switch now was because I"m scheduled to be in the US in a couple of weeks and unlike Windows machines (which are cheaper out here) Macs are cheaper in the US (about $2,900 for a 15" Pro).

Of course, I can always wait until October and buy it at SegfesT!

Is Parallel Desktop different than the current config where you do have to reboot between sides?

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #20
Sal

From what I have heard parallels allows you to run Win in a window at the same time as OS X. Like a Virtual OS. UNless I'm thinking of another piece of SW.

_Sal