SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Proud to have been an Early Adopter

The Segway was but one of the things or activities I adopted "early."

The Apple Macintosh computer preceded it by about two decades. That machine intrigued me, too, in its own way. A graphical user interface was unique at the time, and the Mac introduced "icons", "desktops", and "pointing and clicking", amongst other original concepts involving the use of computers.

It was soon copied but, happily, never bettered. Apple survived through thick and thin, and is now enjoying some of its best and most exciting days, as am I as a loyal customer.

The upcoming WorldWide Developer Conference promises to reveal yet more new "Apple fruit."

What's very gratifying to me is that a company such as Apple has continued to improve its products as it responds to both its customers' needs and wants, while it continues to invest in improving the breadth of its offerings as well as maintain the same inherent thread of quality, which quality reflects the ever-viable SPIRIT of the company, the group effort of Apple's leadership, its management, and its employees.

As a child and young man, I used to admire General Motors automobiles. Friends of the family had a beautiful yellow '58 Chevy Impala. And my grandpa bought a '59 Chevy Bellair. And my uncle bought a new Olds Ninety Eight every couple years. Wow. I wanted to own a good car like that some day. But a company and its products are only as good as its people, and GM blew it majorly in the '70s and '80s and never recovered.

I saw this same spark of spirit in the quality and wisdom of the Segway's design and manufacturing, and I haven't been sorry for a moment for having bought a first generation machine. It's been fantastic fun and a real pioneering adventure.

And I have every expectation that Segway will not only survive but will eventually prosper as it learns from its past mistakes and builds upon its strengths.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayDan
The Segway was but one of the things or activities I adopted "early."

The Apple Macintosh computer preceded it by about two decades. That machine intrigued me, too, in its own way. A graphical user interface was unique at the time, and the Mac introduced "icons", "desktops", and "pointing and clicking", amongst other original concepts involving the use of computers.

It was soon copied but, happily, never bettered. Apple survived through thick and thin, and is now enjoying some of its best and most exciting days, as am I as a loyal customer.

The upcoming WorldWide Developer Conference promises to reveal yet more new "Apple fruit."

What's very gratifying to me is that a company such as Apple has continued to improve its products as it responds to both its customers' needs and wants, while it continues to invest in improving the breadth of its offerings as well as maintain the same inherent thread of quality, which quality reflects the ever-viable SPIRIT of the company, the group effort of Apple's leadership, its management, and its employees.

As a child and young man, I used to admire General Motors automobiles. Friends of the family had a beautiful yellow '58 Chevy Impala. And my grandpa bought a '59 Chevy Bellair. And my uncle bought a new Olds Ninety Eight every couple years. Wow. I wanted to own a good car like that some day. But a company and its products are only as good as its people, and GM blew it majorly in the '70s and '80s and never recovered.

I saw this same spark of spirit in the quality and wisdom of the Segway's design and manufacturing, and I haven't been sorry for a moment for having bought a first generation machine. It's been fantastic fun and a real pioneering adventure.

And I have every expectation that Segway will not only survive but will eventually prosper as it learns from its past mistakes and builds upon its strengths.
Come on Dan, there had to be an Edsel in the mix somewhere !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Yeah, but I thought the Edsel was damn ugly from the get go--AND it was a Ford!! Two major strikes against was enough for me to steer clear.

And where was the innovation, anyway? Non existent. Just a capricious whim of an arrogant Ford family offspring.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 07-22-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,

Great post!

We are the few, the proud, early adopters.. even people who buy a Segway today or tomorrow, are "early" adopters, since it still hasn't "caught on."

-Sal

P.S. I'm a Mac-Zealot as well.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks, Sal! I hope to learn about the Intel-based PowerMac next month. We currently have a G5 2.0GHz Dual, Mac Mini, G4 Cube, and I just gave my TiPB 500 to my son. How about you?

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 07-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Default Slowly, this thread moves off topic...

My Dad first bought a Performa 6115 (the "pizza box") when I was in High School. He's a graphic designer, so it was all Macs for me (thank goodness).

Then we went through our Blue & White G3s, and then the (speedy at that time) 500Mhz G4s. LOL

Now I have a 2Ghz Dual Core G5, a 1.33MHz 12" Powerbook, and a Dual 800MHz Quicksilver G4 (in the closet!).

I'm thinking I'm going to use the Quicksilver as a JukeBox... Any ideas on what you'd do with a Mac just sitting idly by?

Oh!!! Anyone know if the iButton software is available for Macs?

-Sal
Old 07-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

In addition to its being a jukebox, you can of course share disk space on it with the other Macs. If you experience any skipping during music play you may want to buy a gigabit ethernet card for it, as the new machines come with such as standard features.

If you got Timbuktu or Apple Remote Desktop you could run programs remotely on it from your other Macs. You need to buy a copy of TB2 for each machine. ARD comes with a 10-machine license.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 07-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Hmmmm, me thinks this post is now ready for the OT board.

Just bored and being a pain, I know.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #9
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it was half OT at its start . I'm not sure why, but we have a lot of members who love both HTs and Macs.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Sorry, Steve. For what it's worth I promised myself not to take it any further. :-)

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628