SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #21
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Point taken - but Windows has great out of the box driver support and Microsoft have developed a large number of those drivers themselves - albiet I guess some in collaboration with the hardware manufacturers. I can't provide conclusive proof of this but a lot of the drivers on my current PC say manufacturer = "Microsoft", if that is anything to go by. Not too sure.
Yes, Windows have a whole lot of drivers, and most say the developer is Microsoft... I don't have a definitive list of devices that OS X have support for... But i don't doubt that Windows have more drivers available

Quote:
Probably all of the above.I'm not blaming anyone - I'm just pointing out how it is. They choose what they do and they've decided to develop for Microsoft.
Yeah...

Quote:
Well, one thing is you have the choice. Second reason - the choices are quite useful. I don't do lots of presentations - but there's always the part of the meeting or whatever where you are talking and the screen shouldn't be doing anything interesting at that point. Being able to to toggle is useful, for example where the resolution of the projector is different to the resolution of the laptop (e.g. widescreen laptops etc.) so you can turn off your laptop and utilise the native resolution of the projector - whatever - you have the choice. I like choices. Sometimes you change speaker in the middle and they may need to configure their demo... don't want to see your lovely wall paper in the background during the changeover... I'm not saying these choices are brilliant or anything - but sometimes "simple" isn't enough.
Ah, i see your point...
You don't need to turn off the display to run another resolution on the other screen, and (If i recall correctly), you can choose what screen to use for your presentation.

Quote:
Each to their own I guess. Do you believe they are superiour for you - or for everyone?
Superior to me: Yes, Superior to many others: Yes, Superior to everyone: No...

I feel more at home in a Unix environment, and i feel that the structure of these OS's are way more hardened than many alternatives...

Running Windows makes me feel locked out of my computer... BSD/Linux "Opens it up"...

But i've talked to a handful people who liked Windows more, and i even talked to a guy in my class, who had changed from Mac OS X to Windows...

So, it really depends on how you use it...

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.
Joushou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #22
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Because of its roots, osx IS a superior operating system compared to windows, from a software engineering viewpoint, just like a Honda NSX is a superior automobile compared to a kia, from an automotive engineering viewpoint. Yet you see more kias on the road because they are a superior choice for most of the auto driving public.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #23
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Because of its roots, osx IS a superior operating system compared to windows, from a software engineering viewpoint, just like a Honda NSX is a superior automobile compared to a kia, from an automotive engineering viewpoint. Yet you see more kias on the road because they are a superior choice for most of the auto driving public.
THe missus drives a kia! I'd love an NSX .
Old 07-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #24
Joushou

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
I agree, but i generally avoid saying "Unix/OS X IS superior!" in Windows/Mac OS X discussions... That's usually where the flame-war begins :P

I wonder when PureDarwin gets to a usable state :/ (They still only have their XMas release)...

Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #25
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

When I worked at Oracle, the first thing I did on every Windows box they shoved at me was to install Cygwin so I could have a "real" command line.

I remember when we used to dream of the day that Microsoft would once again support Unix machines... Now with OSX, they do again!!!

I also like running the same VMWare machines on my Windows, Mac, and Linux boxes.

Steve Jobs has made some very good choices in his life... Choosing Unix, the Mach Kernel and Avadis "Avie" Tevanian where right at the top.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #26
i2Macman
i2Macman is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Talking

Does it matter what you use to get your job done?
I use lots of tools but they do not define who I am or whether I am better than someone else because of it. Use what you think will get the job done well..and maybe enjoy the process along the way!

I have Macs and PCs, Mercedes, BMWs, Vintage Buicks, and Packards.
I use them all I enjoy them all for different reasons. They all do their jobs and I appreciate them in different ways. I don't really care what others think about my choices -I just provides some amusement at times. They are entitled to have their own choices if they want.

I have an I2 and a bicycle as well!

What does all this say about me? I image it says I select what I like and enjoy my choice - if it does not really work for me I make a change.
i2Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #27
Joushou

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2Macman View Post
Does it matter what you use to get your job done?
I use lots of tools but they do not define who I am or whether I am better than someone else because of it. Use what you think will get the job done well..and maybe enjoy the process along the way!

I have Macs and PCs, Mercedes, BMWs, Vintage Buicks, and Packards.
I use them all I enjoy them all for different reasons. They all do their jobs and I appreciate them in different ways. I don't really care what others think about my choices -I just provides some amusement at times. They are entitled to have their own choices if they want.

I have an I2 and a bicycle as well!

What does all this say about me? I image it says I select what I like and enjoy my choice - if it does not really work for me I make a change.
... It also says you have a lot of money

Your choices in life generally reflect yourself as a person... The qualities you look for, so forth...
But owning a Mac doesn't define you as one type of person, neither does owning a PC... It's more a question to why you choose it.

You choose your tools to get the job done, without having to pull all of your hair out while doing it, and that's what tells something about you... Not the choice, but the reasons behind it...

It think the reason to the question was that Mac's have a relatively small market-share, but that this community doesn't reflect those numbers...

I too have PC's, but all is remote-controlled from my '07 MacBook Pro (With my great 17" 1920x1200 panel )

Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #28
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Life is often a compromise. What a person would do with incredible wealth and all the time they need is very different than what they actually do in their real lives...

Surely some will take far more effort or resources to get this tool or that one, and often times the more expensive to buy tool is actually cheaper in the long run, as it requires less valuable time, or money, or maintenance or whatever, to keep it running...

All that aside, I too buy what makes sense to me at the time, and I feel I am less motivated than most by advertisements and herd mentality, but none of us are immune to that either...

Those who attempt to define themselves or others by their possessions are taking a two dimensional approach that is likely to be a poor representation of what is actually going on.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #29
Joushou

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Life is often a compromise. What a person would do with incredible wealth and all the time they need is very different than what they actually do in their real lives...

Surely some will take far more effort or resources to get this tool or that one, and often times the more expensive to buy tool is actually cheaper in the long run, as it requires less valuable time, or money, or maintenance or whatever, to keep it running...

All that aside, I too buy what makes sense to me at the time, and I feel I am less motivated than most by advertisements and herd mentality, but none of us are immune to that either...

Those who attempt to define themselves or others by their possessions are taking a two dimensional approach that is likely to be a poor representation of what is actually going on.
As i said, it's not the choice itself, it's the reasons behind it... You can't tell who i am by saying "I'm a Mac owner, T-Mobile G1 owner, and a Segway owner", but you may be able to get something out of it by saying "I want a Unix-platform that works out of the box, with a high-res panel, without being bulky, i want a *nix-phone that can do everything my other devices can, on the go, with me in control of things, and i want an electric mobility-device, that's way cooler and stronger than a moped, and harmless to the environment"...

I'm not saying i can define a person simply by looking at it like that, but it will tell you a few things about them... Like, i think geeky==cool, i can't get enough room on my laptop, and i can't handle having large amounts of money at my disposal, without them suddenly disappearing :P

I don't watch TV so much, i look at the pavement when i walk around outside, and i block ads on my computers, so i don't see so many advertisements... So i guess i'm not affected by that :P

Last edited by Joushou; 07-30-2009 at 10:25 AM..