SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #51
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Last I looked, we are all members of the public.

The Woz is a popular guy. I don't use apple computers, and was never that excited about his existance, but that does not matter. He writes books, has been very successful at the things he does.

You may argue that in this nascar world, the Woz has little influence. That may be so, but I don't know that the nascar world is exactly who is buying segways. Of those who buy segways, I believe that he has some influence.

Several years ago, I did a demonstration skydive into the infield of a nascar race. It was very well recieved. (There were 4 of us). There were also no volunteers in the audience for the next jump... I also taught at the local skydive school, so I would know if it generated skydive students directly, and though it may have in general, it did not do so right away...

I hesitate to mention it, but the first fatality that I ever heard about that involved a segway in any way, was in the backfield of a nascar event. (or something similar)

All I am saying is that I do agree that for a more popular acceptance, some of the dorkyness needs to be left behind. I just do not think we need to throw the current owners under the bus to get that done.

One other point to consider. There are tens of thousands of segways out there. There are a couple hundred posters here. There a several thousand who have come and gone. At best, it appears to me that less than 10 or 15% of segway owners have ever been on this forum...

While this forum may reflect a vocal percentage of segway owners, I do not believe it represents the majority of them...

I like the videos that are the topic of this thread. I believe they do a good job of showing a fun and athletic, and very sporty view of segways. THat is good.

I would like to do more and see more of decidely non-dorky people doing other fun, athletic and sporty things with segways...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #52
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
That said, the general public will NEVER see it that way. NEVER. And if you want to believe otherwise go right ahead, but in a NASCAR world, polo just doesn't play. Take a look at the attached. Boom! THE Stereotype; rich, fat, geek. I don't care if he is "The Woz". FFS at least wear some blue jeans and untuck the shirt!
Come on Quade. That photo you refered to was from last year's "Woz World Cup". Everything about it was a PR event. And not surprisingly, the polo teams had to have "uniforms". Do we wear uniforms during our Sunday matches? Heck, no. We all wear jeans/short, and a T-shirt. Though I'll be the first to admit, we generally gravitate towards solid yellow or solid blue shirts so we don't have to wear the silly colored jersey.

And by the way, when the folks from the public happen upon us at our usual park, they remark how neat the game looks. They sit and watch for a while, and then they move on having seen one more interesting spectacle during their weekend. Last time, I think we had more spectators than players (though by the end of the match half of the spectators had moved on).

Quade, seriously, check things out in real life before you get concerned about image and such. I don't care if it's the image of a segway by the man on the street that you're passing, or if it's the image of a segway polo player by someone strolling through the park. Whatever the case, as you log more miles as a segway user, you're going to find the vast majority of people treat us gliders as an amusing oddity. Something that brightens their day and shows them that our country as a whole is sloooowly moving in a new direction.

ps - You spend far too much time thinking about the one or two oddballs who feel a need to vent at anything in society that they think won't be able to fight back (often because they themselves are hurling insults and then running themselves).
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:37 PM   #53
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plo View Post
ps - You spend far too much time thinking about the one or two oddballs who feel a need to vent at anything in society that they think won't be able to fight back (often because they themselves are hurling insults and then running themselves).
You are, perhaps, correct.

Then again, my "real" jobs (the ones that actually make me money and not just the side gigs for my own amusement), have all been in; the media, advertising and image. While perception most definitely is not reality, it might as well be when it comes to brand management. So, yeah, I do think about it quite a bit.

However, if I was truly obsessed with the idea of what others thought about me while on a Segway, I probably wouldn't own one and I most certainly wouldn't ride it in the areas I do and especially not to the company I currently work for.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 AM   #54
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

And I'll readily concede that on some matters (such as passing legislation or gaining acceptance at your workplace) perception/image matters. But in day to day life, I think it's best to focus on enjoyment...oh yeah, and chasing the little ball around the field!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:32 AM   #55
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quade,

Your comments are very wrong. We hold "free" demo Polo matches here where we bring the machines and let people sign up to play. We always run extra matches and have to turn away hundreds of people.

I've had some negative comments but not that many. I continue to have considerable interest in the Segway and have had to turn down countless requests for demos.

So, to say that Polo is a negative is wrong. Sure, some folks might make fun of the game but they still want to try a Segway and giving them a chance is all that is needed to make them converts. It doesn't matter if they are NASCAR or Formula 1 fans.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:30 AM   #56
seglander
seglander is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Extreme sports

Now if we could play this on Segways I think the Geek image would very soon replaced. No offence to Polo but this is slightly more intense.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #57
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Quade,

Your comments are very wrong.
Sometimes I don't think people actually read what I write.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #58
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Sometimes I don't think people actually read what I write.
Oh, I read it. I just think that most of what you have posted to date is of little value.

Most of it is opinions that are based on your limited knowledge of the Segway, the Segway community, and the things that have long been discussed on this forum.

What you posted was wrong...and countless other people have seen that it Polo does have value and isn't seen as elitist. So I'd caution you to read a lot of what has been posted over the past few years...there is lots of value there.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #59
quade

5 yr Member

Quote:
So I'd caution you to read a lot of what has been posted over the past few years...there is lots of value there.
1) Was that some sort of veiled threat? You caution me? Are you kidding? You really need to take a step back out of your violent headspace. We're talking about Segways in an internet chat room. Nothing of any life shattering importance is going on here. Wow. Calm down.

2) I would rather discuss actively than weed through the noise of years worth of posts passively. If a CHAT site is supposed to be anything, it's not a static respository for information but rather an on going and current exchange of ideas.

Last edited by quade; 06-29-2007 at 12:33 PM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #60
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by plo View Post
Whatever the case, as you log more miles as a segway user, you're going to find the vast majority of people treat us gliders as an amusing oddity. Something that brightens their day and shows them that our country as a whole is sloooowly moving in a new direction.
This is so true!

Steven, Quade lives in the United States and the people he encounters also live in the United States. They watch the US media, they shop in US stores, etc. When talking about perception, you can't compare the average Joe Blow American with the average rich Saudi. Whoa did I just reveal my perceptions or what?!
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote