SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:09 AM   #31
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DrComputer

I see that you can order different colored iButton key colors from embeddeddatasystems.com. Anyone have a green or blue Segway key yet?
I've got a handfull of both the green and blue fobs.
I use the blue for my demo key, and green for my golf key.

david s

I love my magic carpet!
Yahoo Group - SEGOC
cmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:12 AM   #32
cmonkey

Thanks for a cool tool! I'll be trying all of the options over the next few days.

david s

I love my magic carpet!
Yahoo Group - SEGOC
Old 03-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #33
Thomas
Thomas is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

A marvelous tool! It worked directly after download on my WinXP system. Recognized my DS9087U serial adapter and my DS1402D-DR8 iButton adapter immediately. Real plug & play, no installation or configuration required. Immediately shows the iButton-ID of an inserted key. Calculates the correct CRC checksum automatically. Reads and writes keys fast and flawless. Nice and simple to use. Thank you for sharing Joseph!

Room for improvement:
- Decimal fraction of speed is only recognized when entered in "European format" with a comma (",") as the decimal point.
- The Turn Rate can only be adjusted in 16 steps (4 bits) of 6.25% each. As far as I know 32 steps (5 bits) are evaluated by the Segway firmware allowing a possible resolution of 3.125%.
- The 16-Digit Keycode cannot be edited. Perhaps an intended safety feature but it prevents the preparation of keys for Segway owners who place their order by mail or phone.
- Help file missing: Insufficient explanation of the different check boxes and Poweroff-Time options. Which bits in the key are set/reset? Which function of the Segway is achieved exactly?
- File "Save" and "Open" functions missing. I would appreciate the option to read and write .IBF-files.

Regards, Thomas
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:16 AM   #34
toybuilder
toybuilder is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for the positive comments and your feedback!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Thomas
- Decimal fraction of speed is only recognized when entered in "European format" with a comma (",") as the decimal point.
Hmmm, on my machine, it uses US format decimal points... I think it is behaving according to the local setting (Regional and Language settings in Control Panel)

Quote:
quote:- The Turn Rate can only be adjusted in 16 steps (4 bits) of 6.25% each. As far as I know 32 steps (5 bits) are evaluated by the Segway firmware allowing a possible resolution of 3.125%.
My notes of data I received from Segway suggests that only 4 bits are used. The "Reserved Byte15[0..3]" value represents the remaining 4 bits from the field that stores turn rate.

Quote:
quote:- Help file missing: Insufficient explanation of the different check boxes and Poweroff-Time options. Which bits in the key are set/reset? Which function of the Segway is achieved exactly?
I'm working on this -- but it's the first time I've started to play with the Windows Help system, and I haven't finished!

Quote:
quote:- The 16-Digit Keycode cannot be edited. Perhaps an intended safety feature but it prevents the preparation of keys for Segway owners who place their order by mail or phone.
- File "Save" and "Open" functions missing. I would appreciate the option to read and write .IBF-files.
I left those features out in this version -- this is intended for people to use to duplicate/modify keys that they physically have in their posession.

toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:34 AM   #35
Thomas
Thomas is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Hi Joseph,
Quote:
quote:Hmmm, on my machine, it uses US format decimal points... I think it is behaving according to the local setting (Regional and Language settings in Control Panel)
Yes, you are right, it depends on the regional settings of the operating system. Not a big deal, but a small inconsistency for us European users: Input is accepted with comma "," only but when leaving the field the result is always displayed with a dot ".". When stepping through the fields by TAB or SHIFT-TAB the speed-setting is cleared because the display format is incompatible with the required input format.

Quote:
quote:My notes of data I received from Segway suggests that only 4 bits are used (for Turn Rate).
Likely you are right. This has been discussed in the thread http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=12438 (contributions of Dec 29 2005) with no final result so far.

Regards, Thomas
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #36
toybuilder

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Thomas

Hi Joseph,
Input is accepted with comma "," only but when leaving the field the result is always displayed with a dot ".". When stepping through the fields by TAB or SHIFT-TAB the speed-setting is cleared because the display format is incompatible with the required input format.
Fixed!

As for the turn-rate...
Quote:
quote:This has been discussed in the thread http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=12438 (contributions of Dec 29 2005) with no final result so far.
Can anyone else here try this with their 14.1 platform? Change the value of the "Reserved Byte15[0..3]" to "15" (correction - I had originally said "F") and choose Poweroff Timeout Never, and see if the 5 second police mode timeout kicks in?

Thanks.
Joseph

(Thanks cmonkey for pointing out the field is decimal.)
Old 04-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #37
cmonkey

I've already programmed the 'police key' on my own... when reading with your tool... the reserved byte is 15 (which is 'F')
------------

ok, tried it. and when the reserved byte is set to 15, and the poweroff is set to never....

you still get the 5 second timeout.
------------
Dave

I love my magic carpet!
Yahoo Group - SEGOC
Old 04-02-2006, 01:31 AM   #38
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Yea, I would love for you to incorporate the "golf" (unlimited) "police" (5 second shutoff) and any 'hack' (2 second shutoff?)
as options on the buttons.

Also a cool seg like graphic (skin) would be cool!

Jonathan
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #39
eso
eso

5 yr Member

Nice tool. I noticed two things that could be optimized:

1) When starting the program without an iButton driver installed it just crashes. Displaying a message box would be better.

2) Reading a key a second time causes the "Invalid Key Data!" message to appear (at least on my pc). Maybe there's something wrong with the data validation algorithm?
eso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #40
toybuilder

5 yr Member

Quote:
1) When starting the program without an iButton driver installed it just crashes. Displaying a message box would be better.
Ah, sorry, I recently introduced that bug while trying to make the iButton driver handling better. It now will tell you that it is missing ibfs32.dll. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it more friendly when it is missing the iButton drivers.

Quote:
2) Reading a key a second time causes the "Invalid Key Data!" message to appear (at least on my pc). Maybe there's something wrong with the data validation algorithm?
I've done repeated readings of keys here without problems. Are you reading the same key twice? Or different keys from different units?

Thanks!