SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default My final accident

It’s been almost a year since a moment’s distraction allowed a runaway skateboard to send me flying into the street, causing me months of pain and discomfort. At that time, I posted about the incident, and said I’d decided, with strong influence from my wife, to give up gliding. I sold one of my two i2s to a local tour company. I was going to sell both, but decided there was no hurry to sell the other one - I’d see how it went.

Somehow, as I healed, my wife’s position seemed to soften on the subject, and with my assurance that I’d be much more careful in the future, I returned to gliding - even taking advantage of a good deal on a second new i2. She still worried about me whenever I was out gliding, but I’d always tell her not to - I’d be fine.

A little over a week ago, I was gliding home in the dark, on a route I’d taken many times, but only during the day. As I was coming from a gym class, and it was a warm day, I had on just shorts and a t-shirt - and a helmet, of course. I came around a corner, turned right to go up a hill, and forgot there was a storm drain just beyond the corner. Since my headlight swept around beyond it, it stayed in the shadow. The right wheel fell in, and down I went. I mashed up both hands trying to break my fall, badly skinned my knee in three places, and somehow sliced open a 4” long by 1/2” deep gash in my calf.

To make things worse, I’m on Warfarin, and happened then to also be on Prednisone for bronchitis, which had caused my INR to rise to 4.0 from a target 2.5. Translation - my blood was very thin, and I lost a lot. I felt it pouring down my leg, but stupidly, and possibly in shock, I thought maybe I could make it the remaining two miles home and deal with it there. I managed to get back on and continue up the hill. After going about two blocks, I suddenly knew I was about to faint, and pulled onto a grassy area. I tried to grab onto a fence, but ‘woke’ sometime later, thinking I was home in bed, until I realized my head was on grass, and remembered what happened. I tried to get up, but just collapsed again, and woke thinking I was home, etc. During my conscious periods, I was aware of a number of cars driving by without stopping, in spite of my Segway’s headlight and one on my helmet both being lit.

Finally, after about a half hour, I heard a female voice asking if I was okay. All I could do was mumble something about fainting every time I tried to stand. She told me to stay down, called 911, and flagged down another car. She used her sweater to mop up some of the blood, and stayed with me until the ambulance came. I should mention that she had three small kids with her, and I’m sure she was anxious to get them home to bed, as it was by then 9PM.

Bottom line - I got 9 stitches in my leg, and spent two nights in the hospital before I could stand without getting light-headed, but nothing was broken, and I should be getting around pretty well in a month or two. I got the woman’s name, and we’ve been in touch on Facebook, and will be meeting for coffee tomorrow morning. I’m sure it will be quite emotional.

Once I’m able, I’ll clean all the caked blood off the Segway, and both will be sold. After gliding nearly every day for 15 years, I somehow don’t think I’ll miss it that much, and it will make a big difference in my wife’s stress level. I’ll probably stop following SegwayChat soon as well. I think true closure will require putting everything Segway behind me. I’ll put some Segway paraphernalia up for sale here in the near future. Framed Segway poster, unused Segway sweatshirt, Segway Parking Only sign, racks, etc. Make you such a deal. If you know of anyone in the greater Seattle area who’d like to own a Seg, and is level-headed and safety conscious, let me know.

Last edited by terryp; 03-22-2018 at 09:35 PM..
terryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #2
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Wow Terry! Glad you are okay and getting better.It is a hard decision to give up something you enjoy doing so much.Maybe you could wait awhile before giving up your treasured memories though.Once they're gone,they're gone.And there is no reason you can't stay an active member on this forum,Im sure you have lots of great stories and advice to share.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I am so sorry for this to happen again!

I remember the skate board incident also...

Hope you heal up and are 100% soon, again sorry.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
terryp

Thanks for the sympathy, guys. I’ll probably hang around awhile. It would be hard to break the habit of checking SC after doing so almost daily for this many years.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
Hardenburgward1@aol.
Hardenburgward1@aol. is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Glad you are OK

I bought a light for my X2 but consider it useful only to let other people see me easier at dusk. I don’t glide at night. I am interested in segway poster sweat shirt etc. how can I get in touch with you?
Mark
Hardenburgward1@aol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardenburgward1@aol. View Post
I bought a light for my X2 but consider it useful only to let other people see me easier at dusk. I don’t glide at night. I am interested in segway poster sweat shirt etc. how can I get in touch with you?
Mark
Just send anyone a PM (personal message) just click on their name.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
terryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardenburgward1@aol. View Post
Mark
Like Airdale said - just send me a PM. I’ll watch for it.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
eucarmy
eucarmy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Wow sorry to hear about this! I hate hearing you are giving it up but everyone needs to do what feels right for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eucarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
seggystuff
seggystuff is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default good luck

Sorry to see you go
seggystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #10
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Thinking of You

Hi TerryP

Had my first No Coat guide yesterday afternoon on a short run down to the hardware store.

Those first warm, dry guides are always a kick.
And know you always enjoyed them.

Take Care
Craig
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote