SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
DennisF
DennisF is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Recent Factory Repair Experience Report

I recently had to send my XT in to the factory for a RED SCREEN error. It was sent to the factory by my local Segway Service Center.

I was expecting to receive an analysis and detail on the machines needs and cost to repair. Instead I got only a cost - no details on what would be replaced or was needed. I approved the cost and the repairs.

After several months my machine came back. The factory fixed the problem, but they also replaced a lot of other stuff.

The control column
The display eye
The fatigue mat
and ........... the batteries????

The factory kept my recently MTO-rebuilt batteries and gave me what appear to be NEW SEGWAY batteries. The new ones are date coded 16, and AJ, Which I believe to mean 2016, current model batteries.

I'm not sure if I should be delighted, or complain. The machine works perfectly.

The total cost for the repair and shipping was $1900.

Any others with factory repair experience?
DennisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I do agree that seems like an odd way to do business

But, it would appear they gave you a sizeable trade-in for your rebuilt batteries. A new pair would have been very near the entire $1900 repair bill, not to mention the shipping, the actual repair plus the other new parts they installed. I wouldn't be complaining too much - You've got an essentially new Seg now which should last you many years

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default My Experience with Factory Repair . . .

My Experience with Factory Repair . . .

Inc. gave a specific response as to what needed repair and what Inc. did to repair Trigger.

Inc. Response:
"Unit appears to have been opened by unauthorized persons. Upon initial inspection; fasteners were missing, markings on components, antenna broken off of Radio Board, and BSA-A connector was broken. The BSA and Radio Board (UI Console PCB) require replacement due to damage/mishandling. Fault Logs indicate Motor Voltage Consistency Fault local to the A side CU and Left side Motor. Upon inspection Left side Motor was noticed to be damaged; replacement is required. Console housing is cracked and requires replacement to prevent water ingress. Console cover and gasket will be updated to the current revision under warranty. Ferrites were missing; will be replaced under warranty. Gearbox will be replaced under warranty due to RTV gasket."

Segway Inc. repaired my 9 year old X2, new motor, trans (left side) and numerous other issues for a total cost of $1,500 through my dealer. 45 days later the same issue arose (EO47 - but opposite side). Contacted my dealer and sent the machine back. No additional cost but they replaced the other side (engine/trans).

Looks like the EO47 error code was not caused by CU board failure as the error code dictates, but it was the motor/gearbox that generated the fault which was reflected by the error code. Secondarily, I'm amazed that I got warranty repairs (gearbox, console cover & gasket, ferrites) on my nine (9) year old Segway with 10,000 miles. I guess I'm lucky that it was a gearbox/motor vs. a $1,000 CU board.

Surprised you didn't get as much of a detailed response as I did, but Inc. is under new management since my repair.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Sounds Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
. . .
After several months my machine came back. The factory fixed the problem, but they also replaced a lot of other stuff.

The control column
The display eye
The fatigue mat
and ........... the batteries????

The factory kept my recently MTO-rebuilt batteries and gave me what appear to be NEW SEGWAY batteries.
Well they had your SEG for 7 months, maybe they lost/misplaced your original control column, mats, and batteries. As they don't seem to be related to the failure.

I once had a VW in the shop for a week, it returned with several of the sound control, air flow plastic parts from other cars (mine had been marked for tracking)
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
DennisF
DennisF is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Updated info

I contacted the Segway Repair Station about the battery swap, and of course you can imagine their answer. Couldn't have happened! Not on our watch!

But, I did learn that they DO NOT include the batteries when they ship the machine to Segway, mostly due to the increased shipping cost of the hazardous batteries. So, that means the swap occurred at the repair station. To their credit they accepted my photo proof of the MTO-REBUILT batteries and we are now negotiating a settlement.

My advice, document your serial numbers if you send out your Segway, or even if you loan it to someone.
DennisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:

My advice, document your serial numbers if you send out your Segway, or even if you loan it to someone.
Real good idea.....Never thought of it?......Mine has been in twice in last 5 years, just under $2k once, over $2k last time....
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Mine has been in twice in last 5 years, just under $2k once, over $2k last time....
Good grief!!! . . . . as Charlie Brown would say

All 3 of my I2's came with a 'benefit' that I never considered before - If any one of them ever needed a factory repair, I would just scrap them and sell the parts. I paid less than $2K for each of them . . . . $1,500 for the last one which came with great batteries (one less than a year old) and it had less than 100 miles on it

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 AM   #8
cfrea
cfrea is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Whats it cost for you guys to send the segway for factory service?
cfrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Costs

Cost $35 for a shipping box (only for platform sans wheels, batteries & leansteer) that was ordered by my Dealer and then delivered to me. Then about $40 for actual shipping to Inc.

Last edited by Seginaway; 08-16-2018 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: specified that batteries were/are not sent to inc.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #10
moozplop
moozplop is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
I contacted the Segway Repair Station about the battery swap, and of course you can imagine their answer. Couldn't have happened! Not on our watch!

But, I did learn that they DO NOT include the batteries when they ship the machine to Segway, mostly due to the increased shipping cost of the hazardous batteries. So, that means the swap occurred at the repair station. To their credit they accepted my photo proof of the MTO-REBUILT batteries and we are now negotiating a settlement.

Settlement for what? Didn't they give you an upgrade by replacing your rebuilt batteries with new ones? I just wish to understand. Thank you for this post — very interesting.
moozplop is offline   Reply With Quote