SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I2 SE - battery charging but not?

Hi all - recently purchased a used i2 SE, and I’m having an issue we’re diagnosing together (both myself & the seller - they’ve been super responsive and helpful!)

Long story short - when I plug the i2 SE in, I’m getting two green charging lights, but it doesn’t appear the batteries are “taking” the charge. I’ve only had it a few days but I’m down to 3 bars left on the Infokey. I’ve charged it pretty much 24x7 the last few days, and I just continue to get the solid green lights - it never goes to blinking and upon powering up, I’m at the same level on the Infokey that I was at before charging. It does deplete as I take it out and about.

Any suggestions what’s going on? The seller will be calling Segway Inc shortly on my behalf but I thought I’d poke at the collective wisdom.

The only thing we could come up with is that it’s cold outside, but it’s being charged in a heated garage. It’s about 64 degrees in the garage, so I doubt that’s it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:50 AM   #2
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Worth a shot

I don't know the answer.
But given the holidays, this is what I would try whilst waiting for those Segway experts to respond.

It 'smells' like most of the gear is working, and maybe you have had a glitch ( did you have any thunderstorms or power blackouts ? ).
So I would try to re-start it.

To do a cold reset, remove both batteries.
Leave them off for a decent time, say 15 minutes.
( observe the battery date codes, or just post the first 6 digits here ).

Re-fit the batteries and see what happens.
Good luck.

Michael
www.dgbint.com
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Bernie
Bernie is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

How about running it until the batteries deplete themselves, then recharge. I've read somewhere that this re-celebrates the level of charge.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
How about running it until the batteries deplete themselves, then recharge. I've read somewhere that this re-celebrates the level of charge.
Yes, good catch. Just leave it running, parked pressing against a wall, until it stops. Then charge.

(See "recalibrate" in the reference manual.)

Last edited by dale@thecoys.net; 12-30-2017 at 12:45 PM..
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Wasnt there a problem with the charging of the first runs of the SE?

I thought I read it here?
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Recalibrating (or 're-celebrating') the gauge is probably a good idea, but I would first want to know for sure that it *will* recharge before running them all the way down and *then* discovering that it won't

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
dmurphy

5 yr Member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Recalibrating (or 're-celebrating') the gauge is probably a good idea, but I would first want to know for sure that it *will* recharge before running them all the way down and *then* discovering that it won't

Don
Bingo. That’s entirely my concern. Right now I’m planning to swap front/rear batteries but fighting a stripped screw in the front battery. Hoping to get it out fairly cleanly - going to try a slightly oversized hex head, then a torx driver and worst case, put a little epoxy on a sacrificial hex key and let it cure overnight. When it rains, sometimes it pours. :-/
Old 12-30-2017, 11:53 PM   #8
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post

Don
I don't understand that logic. Please explain.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:20 AM   #9
dmurphy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
Well, let’s say there’s nothing wrong with the batteries themselves, but the charging circuit has a problem.

If I run them down all the way - to the point beyond being able to power up my Segway - we’ve got a problem. At that point, I’ve got two dead batteries that may or may not come back AND a faulty power base.

But if I leave “some” charge in the battery, at least the seller can swap these batteries into another power base and figure out if the problem follows or not. If the problem is the batteries, fine, they’ll swap it out. Same for the powerbase.

So I’m playing with it overnight - leaving the batteries out altogether to hopefully “force” the Segway to reset itself. I don’t believe there are any storage capacitors onboard so this “should” do a full reset, in theory.

Again, the initial thought was around temperature, but the garage heater has been on 24x7 all week (I do not want to see that electric bill!). It’s averaging about 64 degrees in there, which I’m assuming should be sufficient to charge, yes?
Old 12-31-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
Well, I assumed (bad I know) that we all know what happens to a dead Seg battery when you leave it sit long enough without recharging it

If I'm going to run them dead on purpose, I sure would want to be able to recharge them ASAP

If they won't charge when they have a 30% SOC, they're probably not going to charge when they're down near 0% either

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote