SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
gracefuli
gracefuli is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default seats: the good, the bad, favorites, dislikes

Ok- i'm convinced to get a seg! Now what about seats? I realize this may be personal preferences/dislikes, but what are your experiances and approx cost? Thanks!
gracefuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

A lot of what seat will depend on your physical limitations.

Here are two links to seats:

www.segvator.com
www.segseat.com

I have used both and they both have pros and cons.

Leenseat

Segseat

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

First let me say that I'm not disabled. However, I do long distance gliding. As such, I need a seat to sit when I go 50 to 100 miles on my segway in a day.

I like both the seats that Tarkus has shown above. I only have experience with the SegSeat, but I can appreciate the simplicity (and lower cost) of the LeenSeat's design. However, I also like the SegSeat since that more complicated design allows the seat to slide forward and backward simulating what a person would naturally do with their weight when they glide on a segway standing up. Remember, everything about a segway is how you lean forward and backward.

One thing I don't know about is how easily one can do an emergency dismount. It's very unlikely you'll ever have to do one, but when the time comes I'd be a bit concerned about the LeenSeat's design. Maybe Tarkus could comment on this since he's ridden both versions (and possibly done some "emergency dismounts" at times).
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default We sell a good amount of seats

At Segway of Annapolis!

And by far the one most people like is the Segvator Seat.

First of all it works on gen two and gen one machines.

It is very simple to install - mounting with three bolts onto the side gearboxs

And it can be painted to match your seg.

It comes in two sizes a tall and a short version.

Now if Segvator would come out with the Mel Seat - which is a full seat that would be great, but they tell me it would be too cost prohibitive to manufacture.

We have the tall seats in stock now. We also have a couple of Mario's Seg Seats that are demo models available. As well as a number of great deals on previously owned Segways, demo Segways, and new Segways! Give us a call at 1.877.Segway.4
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Default Both work....

First Will.

Thank God I didn't use the word "Melseat". Every time I bring that up I get a barrage of emails wanting to buy one !

polo,

I was one of the first to have a Segseat and as I said in my review the product is beautiful. The machine work is great, functions well and works as advertised.

The only problem I had with it is that with my SCI I have little use of my "glutes" so the saddle style seat was a bit painful. Thats not a problem with the Segseat, it's a problem with my butt !!

As far as having to do a "Emergency Bail" with the leenseat, I have run the batteries to dead, restarted and ran to dead again then took a ride. Obviously it was only seconds before I got the "BAIL NOW" warning. I found I had more than enough time to flip up the seat and step off.

In the so far unheard of "Catastrophic Failure" I think both would be a problem.

My "primitive" tests also show that with one of Blinky Bars left flashing you would have about 30-45 minutes, at walking speed to find a place to recharge. No excuse for running out of gas except operator inattentiveness.

Last you need to look at how you will use the seat. Most of the time I stand for 2 reasons. First because I can, second because I believe that the Segway is at its best when used as designed, standing.

All that being said it's a matter of your limitations and how often you plan to sit. Like I said I'm Lucky I'm a "Walkie Para" and only use it for a break. Another advantage to both seats is that they also provide some added lateral support with the seat up and standing.

Best of luck.

Be Big,
Alan

Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default The Seat is an aftermarket product, not one endorsed by Segway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
First Will. Thank God I didn't use the word "Melseat". Every time I bring that up I get a barrage of emails wanting to buy one !
That's good - because if market demand calls for it, maybe we can get them to offer it. Expensive as it would be, it would be worth it. It is a far better seat than all the rest.

Quote:
In the so far unheard of "Catastrophic Failure" I think both would be a problem.
Remember - The Segway is not designed to be used with a SEAT - it is a single person standing room only machine.

We have a couple of users who have a need for a seat, and use the segway, seat and all and have so for a while.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
Tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
That's good - because if market demand calls for it, maybe we can get them to offer it. Expensive as it would be, it would be worth it. It is a far better seat than all the rest.

Remember - The Segway is not designed to be used with a SEAT - it is a single person standing room only machine.

We have a couple of users who have a need for a seat, and use the segway, seat and all and have so for a while.
I agree Will. From my last post:

Last you need to look at how you will use the seat. Most of the time I stand for 2 reasons. First because I can, second because I believe that the Segway is at its best when used as designed, standing.

Be Big,
Alan

Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
wwhopper
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default And Here I thought

Quote:
Most of the time I stand for 2 reasons. First because I can, second because I believe that the Segway is at its best when used as designed, standing.Be Big,
Alan
It was because when you did your acrobatic combined with comedy routines, your adoring audience could see you better!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
Tarkus

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
It was because when you did your acrobatic combined with comedy routines, your adoring audience could see you better!

Thats one thing I miss about my wheelchair.
It was much easier to look up the ladies dresses !!!!!!

Be Big,
Alan

Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Okay, for us in the illiterati, what is a "melseat"?

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote