SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #11
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
My computer is fighting that video, so I have not seen it...
Direct link:
http://www.signscope.biz/Resources/shamu.mov
It's about 8.3 mb long. Since it's a .mov file, QuickTime needs to be installed to play it automatically. Some folks may need to save the file to their computer first, then play the saved file.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
Actually, I was referring to the post that said the dog should be put down. The only person that should make that decision is the person that owns the dog, with advice from the regular vet. I think it's a great thing that they are doing what they are to keep a family member going. Unfortunately, there are those in our society that would not allow a family member to remain alive in a difficult situation, thus my comment about our disposable society. Too many people seem to think that if something is less than perfect, it should be tossed aside like so much garbage. Being in the situation where I'm less than perfect, I have encountered this type of thing many times, and while I may not be able to do everything that others can, I do feel there are contributions I can still make. I know how much a dog can contribute, and even a dog that is less than perfect can certainly make a valid contribution.

Again, I don't feel that anyone but the owner and a vet should have ANY say in whether an animal is put down or not.

Jim
The comment was centered around the poster's perception that the dog was in pain and uncomfortable. I don't know if that is actually the case, but the comment had nothing to do with the animal's state of perfection, but rather its quality of life. And I agree with that poster's priniciple in that an animal which is in pain and clearly not enjoying life should be put down rather then forced to live through its discomfort for the sake of the owner's emotional health. That is the humane thing to do.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
william collins
william collins will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default My thought exactly

Thank you

hellphish
For understanding what I really ment//
I've had many Dogs in my life and cats and even a Skunk that was (Scent removed) and was one of my best pets ..none of the bad habits of either a cat or dog..No yapping and and no clawing the rugs ...And a couple did live a long life and one did get so sick we felt very bad that it had to be put down at the recommendation of the Vet...I did not mean to be mean
Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
margie
margie is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile Shamu is not suffering!!

Thanks for the kind words & concern. Our vet said he is not ready to be put down just because of his hind legs. He said Shamu will let us know when it's time. If fact, since we got the wheelchair & Segway, his front legs have strengthened and he tries to go faster than the Segway - which actually made me crash when his leashes wrapped around the big tire and the Segway suddenly stopped! What you can't see in the video, behind the camera are horses that he's trying to move near to bark at them! But there's a ditch between the road and the fence - I don't want him to wipe out. He would try to go down steep embankments and through narrow openings, but I have to guide him away from danger. I cannot even touch the Segway if he's watching - because he'll start to bark and demand to go on the walk immediately! He still (slowly) chases the red laser and likes to feel important and powerful when he tells those horses who's the boss! He is not in pain, Adequin shots and Rimadyl pills take care of any discomfort he might have. We take him with us to work every day and he is a wonderful companion. He just can't walk. My sister has CP and is in a wheelchair - she wouldn't want to get put down either!
margie is offline   Reply With Quote