SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
margie
margie is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Deaf on Segway tows Dog in wheelchair!

http://www.signscope.biz/latestnews.html
Our new toy Segway is fantastic for pulling our old dog in his wheelchair! He has a great time (so do we) and the cat likes to ride too, but needs his own basket on the front! The above video clip shows how we hook him up, but when we go downhill one of us has to walk behind holding a tie-down strap to slow down the dog. We haven't perfected it yet, but with trial & error (mostly error) we hope it'll get better! Eventually, we'll have the Segway converted to become "hands-free" for operating a steadicam, but it will still tow the dog!
margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Talking

I must say that I thought I knew of all the possible disabilities the Segway could help but you got me here !

Thats a lucky dog.

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default As a New Yorker

My Segway tows a dumb person all the time

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something rightâ„¢

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
My Segway tows a dumb person all the time

Jonathan
LOL !!!!

Be Big,
Alan

Old 09-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
william collins
william collins will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Thumbs down Poor Dog

I'm sorry but that dog looks to me that he or her is in a lot of pain..And being forced to walk on the front paws. And has no choice in the matter..Best thing for it is to have it put down ..Just my two cents
Old 09-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Tarkus

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by william collins View Post
I'm sorry but that dog looks to me that he or her is in a lot of pain..And being forced to walk on the front paws. And has no choice in the matter..Best thing for it is to have it put down ..Just my two cents

They say the same about me !!!!

Be Big,
Alan

Old 09-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Just another symptom of our "disposable" society! :-(

Jim
Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
Just another symptom of our "disposable" society! :-(

Jim
Jim,

Margie would appear to be doing everything, at considerable cost of money and personal time, to keep their pet alive, exercising, and feeling like he's still a loved, involved part of the family -- as long as he still has a satisfactory quality of life. Am I safe in assuming you are not referring to her?

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #9
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Jim,

Margie would appear to be doing everything, at considerable cost of money and personal time, to keep their pet alive, exercising, and feeling like he's still a loved, involved part of the family -- as long as he still has a satisfactory quality of life. Am I safe in assuming you are not referring to her?
Actually, I was referring to the post that said the dog should be put down. The only person that should make that decision is the person that owns the dog, with advice from the regular vet. I think it's a great thing that they are doing what they are to keep a family member going. Unfortunately, there are those in our society that would not allow a family member to remain alive in a difficult situation, thus my comment about our disposable society. Too many people seem to think that if something is less than perfect, it should be tossed aside like so much garbage. Being in the situation where I'm less than perfect, I have encountered this type of thing many times, and while I may not be able to do everything that others can, I do feel there are contributions I can still make. I know how much a dog can contribute, and even a dog that is less than perfect can certainly make a valid contribution.

Again, I don't feel that anyone but the owner and a vet should have ANY say in whether an animal is put down or not.

Jim
Old 09-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

My computer is fighting that video, so I have not seen it, but I will weigh in on the dog issue...

My 140 pound Rottie, Keisha, the sweetest dog I have ever had, without a single ounce of protectiveness, or aggression, developed at 7 years old, a tumor on her spine that affected her back end. Luckily, my other dog, Rusty, did all the dog duties, protection, investigations, chasing the ferral cats away, etc...

When Keisha got sick, I disassembled a 6 pannel custom bank of windows in the kitchen, built a small ramp in the house, and a special pen area for her to do her business, and a 42 foot ramp outside that kitchen window turned dog door to bring her down the 6 feet to the grass. I built the ramp like a wheel chair ramp, 3 feet wide, with a landing at the top, and two turns. (SHe was as heavy as a person so the ramp looked like one that would be for a person) Several of my neighbors asked if a disabled or elderly family member was comming to live with us...

All that work bought Keisha and my family an extra 3 or 4 months. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Rusty, a 125 pound mutt that looked like a double sized Rhodie, with some great dane and german shepard thrown in, was with me every moment of his 11 plus years, and he and I were buddies. He was smart, and protected me, my wife, and my 4 day old son from a horrible (or what could have been a horrible) attack from a 90 pound American Bulldog. I miss him so, I only lost him a few weeks ago...

He also developed rear end weakness, but even though I could somewhat manage some pain for him, he fell on the stairs from weakness, and I caught him, and carried him up, but he was shattered. He was a proud dog, and did not like to have to be carried. I let him go...

Each dog has it's own personality, and deserves to be loved. That love is the sole responsiblity and relationship of the dog and owner. I would not presume to offer advice to another person about the right way to love their dog.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote