SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #11
Robert-A
Robert-A is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Correct, some could never transfer without help. Some could.
If you try to design something for everyone you design it for none.
I agree with Alan on this point. Designs are a guideline to be molded to your needs.

I think the majority of handicapped people that can safely use a seat type modified Seg are those with good upper body strength and transfer skills. I have been proven wrong before but I'm making a generalization not to discourage anyone from trying but just in the context of design for the majority of possible users.

IMHO, this majority would need a back of some sort to lean/rest against. This would eliminate the possibility for rear entry requiring either a front entry(folding/removable CS) or side entry (ability to throw one leg over the seat or over the handlebars). These are the general guidelines that I am following with my modifications.
Robert-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert-A View Post
I think the majority of handicapped people that can safely use a seat type modified Seg are those with good upper body strength and transfer skills. I have been proven wrong before but I'm making a generalization not to discourage anyone from trying but just in the context of design for the majority of possible users.
I agree. From what I've seen it's upper body,trunk strength that's the biggest issue.

Then I watch some of those we have trained and wonder where the "no go" point is. It truly varies wildly.

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #13
Robert-A

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Now, if all I remember is accomplished, the only thing left is to figure out how to start up the machine while the person is already on it... That again would not be too difficult, if the rider detects were pressurized with a manual lever, rather than the weight of the person in the seat...
I used this method successfully by using kickstands front and back, starting the seg after getting on, using a weight to 'fool' weight sensors. not pretty but it worked. getting on in balance mode was one exciting rodeo ride for me!!!

Karl, sorry to hear about your knees.
Any design ideas on that 'manual lever' thingy?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #14
Robert-A

5 yr Member

Quote:
I agree. From what I've seen it's upper body,trunk strength that's the biggest issue.

Then I watch some of those we have trained and wonder where the "no go" point is. It truly varies wildly.

Be Big,
Alan
This may sound crazy but there really isn't a "no go" point. It's a "how you go" point . sometimes you just need to do it differently.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Any design would have to be custom to what that particular person needs...

As far as a stable, high handled, stabilization/parking stand, I do have some ideas, but no photos...

A potential...

Imagine a handle, like a hand brake lever just above the right fender of a Gen 1 machine... The running position of that handle is with it down, forward, parallel to the platform.

I will spare the details of how this lever would have to be attached, but imagine that as long as it is secured at some point along the side of the machine, when you pull up on the handle, the end of the lever beyond (Below) the pivot point, goes down... Attached to the bottom of the lever, is a bar that resembles an upside down 'U'. This would have a bar that goes down in the hollow between the platform and fender just in front of the transmission, and another in the hollow just behind the transmission. With the handle up, the segway is stable on four points, two wheels at mid-ships, one post fore and one aft...

Clearly, this stand will not be appropriate to be deployed while in balance mode. (Power assist, or off would be fine)

Now, a person gets on, and sits, or transfers on to the seat, which is supported above the platform, as if bolted to the transmission bolts.

After the rider is on, the machine is turned on, or it is on already, but not in balance mode. When the handle is pushed back down to the horizontal, another linkage is attached to another "U" but this one is sideways, and is attached to the linkage just above the pivot point...

With this mount, this item would come up with the handle, and down with the handle, just not as much movement.

THe reason this "U" goes down, and is sideways over the platform, is to engage the rider detects but only after the handle is pushed down.

THis way, you could get into balance mode as you are comming off of the parking stand.

Clearly there are some minor adjustments that may be needed to have the timing and the activation points exactly where you want them, but this system may meet the requirement for some...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #16
Robert-A

5 yr Member

Karl,

clearly you have put thought in this......

thanks.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Again in most cases the Segway is already started and in balance BEFORE the transfer takes place.
If this is the case, would a rotating seat be useful? You could spin it 180 degrees so that it's facing backwards. It'd preferably be able to "lock" in that position for the transfer. Then once the person had mounted it, the seat could be "unlocked" and rotated back 180 degrees so the glider is facing forward. I'm not sure how hard it would be to transfer limbs over the wheel, but it can't be much harder than transferring them around the CSB.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #18
Robert-A

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
I'm not sure how hard it would be to transfer limbs over the wheel, but it can't be much harder than transferring them around the CSB.
This goes back to what the persons abilities are. I used a boat seat with a locking 360 degree platform. The hardest issue was lifting a leg over the CS while rotating. Most seats have to sit too far back to be able to rotate and not hit the CS. definitely possible.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #19
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
...With the handle up, the segway is stable on four points, two wheels at mid-ships, one post fore and one aft...
I had been pondering a concept such as this, but I was concerned about what would happen if the floor was not completely level once the rider detect switches are engaged. (loss of traction spin-up, etc.)

I then considered putting weight sensors on each of the legs, and devising a means where the top of the (upside down) "U" is moved via a motorized actuator in order to move the PT's platform to a "level" position before engaging the rider detects. At that point, it started to get complicated.

Haven't thought of a way to simplify it yet.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #20
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

K.I.S.S has been my problem with this also.

If it becomes way to complex for a "one off" than, IMO I would look at a top end chair, and that may be in my distant future.

I'm a "walkie" now but there's no guaranty.

Be Big,
Alan

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote