SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Why not just shorten the CS...

I have been looking at ways for those with little or no lower movement to transfer to a Segway, and the simplest way to me would be to just shorten the shaft to at or below seat level, then pull it up once on.

Thats easier than folding.

What do you think?

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tarkus; 08-23-2007 at 05:00 PM..
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Ya know that phrase about a picture being worth a thousand words?

Man, I can't even get a mental image of what you've described.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
I have been looking at ways for those with little or no lower movement to transfer to a Segway, and the simplest way to me would be to just shorten the shaft to at or below seat level, then pull it up once on.

That's easier than folding.

What do you think?

Be Big,
Alan
We're talking gen1, right?

How about replacing the stock CS with the appropriately sized telescoping tubing, then using the "spring loaded, pressable tab method" commonly employed to adjust the length on metal crutches? That ought to be more positive than the stock method (esp. on 1-180s that are so hard to keep tightened)

The stock CS has a semi-triangular inner profile to inhibit twisting. If one didn't mind the expense, a stock CS could be cut down for the project. Otherwise, some method of minimizing twist, such as a guide rail inside the tubing could be used to make sure the spring loaded tabs get to the registration hole without having to "hunt" for it.

Once the tab was "home", though, CS twisting shouldn't be an issue.

If it won't go "low" enough due to the coily cable binding, perhaps the cable could be surgically shortened at the upper shrink-tubing wrapped connector.

Something to think about is the strength of the overall modifications in a collision. The folding ones need a beefier mount to match strength of the existing stock method. Or perhaps a "break-away" design would be safer still.

Last edited by bystander; 08-23-2007 at 06:15 PM..
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Ok, I "think" I have it, but I can't understand how a person with lower body mobility issues would be able to mount the device by himself.

If the CS is simply lowered, wouldn't it still be in the way?

I don't know exact numbers but let me ballpark this.

Let's assume a somewhat normal height of 5'10"

If knee height is then about 22 inches and control height is then about 30 inches, how is it possible to lower the entire CS so low that a person could possibly mount it from the front and still have somewhere for his feet to go while mounting? Further, how would it be possible to pull the CS back to it's normal riding position without going through the knees?

Take a look at this photo.

It seems to me that the only way to do it would be to have the CS completely removable, but then how is it possible to have the device turned on and in control of the device for it to perform its self balancing magic?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Robert-A
Robert-A is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default lookin from another angle

I have thought about the shortened CS method. For me, if the bars are lowered to seat height then when somene like myself transfers to the (Chair/bench?) the bars are now under my legs. how do you get your legs under the bars. For those with no leg movement you would need 1 hand to move 1 leg at a time and 1 hand to pull the bars up and 1 hand to counter balance yourself. Oops too many hands. It comes dow to the level of functionallity of the individual user.

man I like the way you think!!!
Robert-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Yes, lowering the CS while the person mounts may not be for everyone.

How about a CS that hinges forward for mounting and also hinges backwards for storage? And with some way of locking it into place when in use.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Robert-A
Robert-A is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default K.I.S.S theory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
How about a CS that hinges forward for mounting and also hinges back wards for storage? And with some way of locking it into place when in use.

folding forward should accommodate most. folding backwards may not be possible due to whatever seating system is used.

how about a metal cable attached inside the CSB and CS just long enough to allow removal but strong enough to take the strain off the connector wires? Thus eliminating the cost, design and manufacture of a complicated hinge assembly?

-Robert
Robert-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Ok, I "think" I have it, but I can't understand how a person with lower body mobility issues would be able to mount the device by himself.

If the CS is simply lowered, wouldn't it still be in the way?

I don't know exact numbers but let me ballpark this.

Let's assume a somewhat normal height of 5'10"

If knee height is then about 22 inches and control height is then about 30 inches, how is it possible to lower the entire CS so low that a person could possibly mount it from the front and still have somewhere for his feet to go while mounting? Further, how would it be possible to pull the CS back to it's normal riding position without going through the knees?

Take a look at this photo.

It seems to me that the only way to do it would be to have the CS completely removable, but then how is it possible to have the device turned on and in control of the device for it to perform its self balancing magic?
Correct, some could never transfer without help. Some could.

I have seen the photo, and just about every concept seat made. No doubt about it at some point the CS must pass between the knees, it's just a matter of making that less difficult for some.

I don't see where anyone would mount from the "front" on any of them. The standard method for those who can transfer themselves is to have the Segway in the balance mode leaning against on solid object, wall, car, etc., and mounting from the rear, just as anyone else would.

As Robert-A has stated it depends on the functionality of the person. I know of many that would be able to mount, use arms to move legs and lock CS.

I also know many that can't.

If you try to design something for everyone you design it for none.

Be Big,
Alan

Old 08-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Forgive me if I am not seeing this as I should, because I am lucky enough to only have a half bad knee, and not that bad by some standards...

But I do recall the images of the fold down cs from that gentleman in Spain. He had it sized so that when it folded down, the handlebar itself (Gen 1) acted as a wheel chock while stored...

Also, he had what looked like an emergency brake handle that could be pulled up, which engaged a parking stand strong enough so that he could mount (or transfer into) while the machine is off. If the parking stand is strong enough to hold the weight of the person transfering on, then much of this is easier.

Now, if all I remember is accomplished, the only thing left is to figure out how to start up the machine while the person is already on it... That again would not be too difficult, if the rider detects were pressurized with a manual lever, rather than the weight of the person in the seat...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Tarkus

Again in most cases the Segway is already started and in balance BEFORE the transfer takes place.

Be Big,
ALan