SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:21 AM   #11
PTB
PTB is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Carriage of Segway i2

Hi Guys,

Just flew my i2 commuter package from Sydney, Australia to Cairns, Australia with Virgin Blue and Jetstar Airlines. Neither had seen (or heard of) the Segway but both carried it for free as a disability aid FOC with the baggage.
PTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Regulations Here Don't Allow Li-Ions on Commercial Flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTB View Post
Hi Guys,

Just flew my i2 commuter package from Sydney, Australia to Cairns, Australia with Virgin Blue and Jetstar Airlines. Neither had seen (or heard of) the Segway but both carried it for free as a disability aid FOC with the baggage.
PTB,

Not sure what the regulations are in Australia, but the US currently does not allow Li-Ions batteries aboard commercial flights. This is being worked on by the great folks at DRAFT. Hopefully a regulation change is forthcoming.

In the meantime, a work of caution to US Segway owners. Do not attempt to bring a Li-Ion equipped Segway on a commercial flight. Not only will you be in violation of Federal law, but could ruin it for the rest of the Segway community, especially those that use the Segway as their primary mobility device.

If people try to "cheat" the rules, the FAA and the airlines will simply ban them altogether. This would be a huge step backwards and hurt the disabled community the most. Please respect the rules and help work toward a solution.

Again, only NiMh batteries are currently allowed on commercial flights. No Li-Ions under any circumstances.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default CASA = Australian FAA

The dept of the Australian government that regulates airlines and flight in general is Civil Aviation Safety Authority. For the most part, they follow the lead of the FAA and of course, the IATA.

Poking around a bit on their site, I found a page that addresses in plain english both dangerous goods and mobility devices. http://www.casa.gov.au/dg/luggage/dgtable.htm

As a tangent, I'll point out that CASA can be as draconian (and behind the times) as the FAA. For any pilots reading this I'd like to point out an incredible air tour called Goana Tours out of Brisbane. For over ten years they let private pilots borrow a 172 from their fleet and together they flew all around the continent. Truly a spectacular tour for folks with their private pilots license! All inclusive and lots of fun in the afternoons while you toured by foot/car wherever you landed that morning!!

Sadly, about a year and a half ago, they closed due to new rules, regulations and outrageous bureaucracy involved with foreign pilots flying in Australia. Come on...what's a 172 going to be able to do flying around the middle of the outback! Sheesh....

ps - They'd been growing every year and quite profitable. This wasn't a matter of them being on the edge and this being the final straw that did them in. Their government in a knee jerk reaction to 9/11 failed them and ruined their livelihood.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #14
jehemer
jehemer is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default LION vs NiMH

What is involved in switching battery types? If I'm going on vacation can I just switch out the battery types on my i180?
jehemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #15
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehemer View Post
What is involved in switching battery types? If I'm going on vacation can I just switch out the battery types on my i180?
Yes. Four screws per battery. Saphions and NiMH batteries use differently sized screws, with Saphion screws being the longer ones.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #16
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Need Correct Software Version to Use Both Li-Ion and NiMh Batteries

Quote:
As I understand it, Gen 1 machines need to have the updated software to allow Li-Ion batteries to be used. Once updated, you can go back and forth between Li-Ion and NiMh.

I think it is V14.2 software but not positive about this. I do know that when you disconnect the CS cables and reconnect, if you get a multi-tone set of beeps, I believe this indicates the updated (notice I didn't say upgraded) software.

Others feel free to chime in if I got something wrong here.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #17
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default I-180's should be fine

They and the XT's had the version 14.0 which ran the Li Ion battery - the ones you have to make sure that are upgraded are the I-167 and I-170's.

Software to run the Li Ion battery was offered at all of the 2005 SegwayfesTs so folks could use the Li Ion technology.

If you travel by passenger aircraft and take your seg along, it is wise to have a couple of sets of batteries. NiMH for travel - and Li Ion for at home use.

When you buy a set of new Li Ion batteries from a dealer, they should include a set of the screws and a new longer allen wrench for installing them, as the Li Ion battery is deeper than the old NiMH. So if be aware your clearance when going over objects on the ground will change, as the Li Ion hangs down further than the NiMH did.

If you have a HAZ MAT certified dealer, they can ship batteries for you, you will then have to find a HAZ MAT shipper to ship them back home. At Segway of Annapolis we often ship batteries for customers.

I am sure there are others who may have more info on batteries.

Last edited by wwhopper; 09-10-2007 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: more random thoughts
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #18
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Yep, 180s came with li-ion ability stock.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #19
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Here's the instruction manual for replacing batteries from the Segway, Inc. website:

http://www.segway.com/downloads/pdfs...tteries_05.pdf
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote